• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Katich call up

iamdavid

International Debutant
Simon Katich has just been called into the squad for the next VB series match against India in Sydney.

Im just a little puzzled as to why he got in ahead of Lehmann , Boof is now back to 100% fitness & has scored 83 & 44 , both at around a run a ball , in his two ING cup matches back.
He's bowling again to & bagged 2-24 against the ill-fated Victorians yesterday.

Obviously its to fill an openers role but we all remember how well Lehmann played last time he opened & I think its time we get him back into the setup.

I do certainly think Katich has a role to play in the side , but not ahead of Lehmann , his experience & calming influence in the middle order has been one of the main factors behind Australia's ODI succes since Ponting took over as skipper.

NikhilN

International Regular
They will need him, He is a good bowler and a Batsman,I would say take lee out for him

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I get the feeling the selectors may want another state game or two from Lehmann.

I would bring him back in now, but after a long lay off, i can see it making sense to wait to bring him back in.

Mingster

State Regular
Man, have the AUssies got plenty of bowling options now.

Allrounders in Bevan, Clarke, Symonds and now Katich!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jamesryfler said:
I think he's been brought in as a possible replacement for Martyn.
No! He is replacing Hayden who is being rested for the next match due to a knee injury.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Katich should of been in the Australian ODI squad for the VB Series right from the start considering his brilliant form.

Though its good he has been given the chance now.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
Jimmy Maher just keeps falling further and further behind....
Maher's wicketkeeping is helping him in still being within a reasonable chance to return to the Australian ODI side (for example to replace say Adam Gilchrist who might be having a games rest).

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:
Im just a little puzzled as to why he got in ahead of Lehmann , Boof is now back to 100% fitness & has scored 83 & 44 , both at around a run a ball , in his two ING cup matches back.
He's bowling again to & bagged 2-24 against the ill-fated Victorians yesterday.
Its too early to recall Lehmann, he needs a few more state games before he could considered back into the Australian side.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS said:
Jimmy Maher just keeps falling further and further behind....
Well...while Maher was in India for the TVS cup and only playing one game Katich was smashing runs in the ING Cup. But since Maher's return he has scored a match winning 100 and a quick fire 47 in his only 2 ING cup games this season. So I don't think he's too far out of contention.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mingster said:

Not Bevan as apparently he is basically retired from bowling due to his shoulder.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mingster said:

As Halsey said, Bevan doesn't bowl any more.

Also I wouldn't want any of those players in my team purely as an all-rounder, they are all batsmen who bowl.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:

They historically always have had 2 or 3 who can fill in a couple of overs here and there (which is what I would deem most of those players)

If you want bowling options, try the Windies at the moment!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sachintendulkar said:
They will need him, He is a good bowler and a Batsman,I would say take lee out for him
Mingster said:

As has already been mentioned twice Bevan is basically retired from bowling.
And an all-rounder is someone equal in ability with both his trates - Bevan, Clarke, Symonds and Katich are far superior batsmen to bowlers, though I still think Symonds is likely to be exposed in ODIs eventually, as he has never performed in domestic-one-day-cricket.
As is exemplified in Flintoff in Tests, to be a bowler you haven't just got to bowl, you've got to take wickets (in Tests) or bowl economically (in ODIs). None of the above are capable of doing what is neccesary in ODIs - being economical.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
As has already been mentioned twice Bevan is basically retired from bowling.
And an all-rounder is someone equal in ability with both his trates - Bevan, Clarke, Symonds and Katich are far superior batsmen to bowlers, though I still think Symonds is likely to be exposed in ODIs eventually, as he has never performed in domestic-one-day-cricket.
As is exemplified in Flintoff in Tests, to be a bowler you haven't just got to bowl, you've got to take wickets (in Tests) or bowl economically (in ODIs). None of the above are capable of doing what is neccesary in ODIs - being economical.
Um...I think you'll find it hard to find many allrounders that are equal in ability actually... :rolleyes:

Symonds exposed in ODI cricket? For batsman? No. Bowler? Probably. But could hold his place as a batsman and a part time bowler.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mingster said:
Um...I think you'll find it hard to find many allrounders that are equal in ability actually... :rolleyes:
That's Richard's point I believe (and one I have often quoted) - th phrase "all-rounder" is extremely over-used.

There's only a few all-rounders in International Cricket, yet the list of those being called all-rounders is very long indeed.