• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does a ''real'' cricket fan have to hate LOI and/or consider them irrelevant?

watson

Banned
And not to put too finer a point on it, Anna Fedorova's fingerwork is equivalent to BC Lara's 153* at Bridgetown, 1999.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Almost.

Rachmaninov's second piano concerto is Test Cricket, The Beatles 'Let It Be' album is 50 Over Cricket, and One Direction is 20 Over Cricket.

Hey mate, I just listened to the first 20 seconds of this and I can play that easily...

Red

Anyway, here's Viv doing his thing in his prime…

uvelocity

International Coach
If it's a pair of stumps and a cricket ball, it's a cricket game, and a 'real' cricket fan would probably be able to enjoy or at least be interested in it. There are plenty of posers who attempt to look like a real cricket fan by sledging T20. They're just idiots. And I if I ever hear someone say "Purest form of the game" again
i think this is the longest spikey post ive ever seen

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If it's words in a thread, it's a forum post, and a 'real' forumer would probably be able to enjoy or at least be interested in it. There are plenty of posers who attempt to look like a real forumer by sledging Spikey. They're just idiots. And I if I ever hear someone say "Purest form of posting" again

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cricket is not in a position to pick and choose its fans. Its not popular enough and already barely any countries play it properly. Its run by a bunch of dickheads and has complicated rules.

If you know someone who is willing to sit and watch cricket for a bit, that's a good thing.

Jassy

Banned
Not sure how many people watched the T20 final today, but those who did must have seen how Jayawardene and Sangakkara broke down after the win. I've watched a fair amount of cricket and I'm sure they've never come close to reacting like that after a test win or any other win.

Does that mean T20>Tests or something? No. But what it does show is that we can no longer just ignore it by saying it is a useless mickey mouse format etc. Sure you might hold that view but if the players themselves attach so much importance to the format and such matches get bigger crowds than some recent marquee bilateral series, then you only end up looking stupid. Try telling Sangakkara and Jayawardene that T20 is just mickey mouse cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure how many people watched the T20 final today, but those who did must have seen how Jayawardene and Sangakkara broke down after the win. I've watched a fair amount of cricket and I'm sure they've never come close to reacting like that after a test win or any other win.

Does that mean T20>Tests or something? No. But what it does show is that we can no longer just ignore it by saying it is a useless mickey mouse format etc. Sure you might hold that view but if the players themselves attach so much importance to the format and such matches get bigger crowds than some recent marquee bilateral series, then you only end up looking stupid. Try telling Sangakkara and Jayawardene that T20 is just mickey mouse cricket.
Yeah totally. Same with Sammy and Gayle after the Australia win.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it has ever been questioned how much it means to the players. These are competitive sportsmen and if they are pulling on their national jersey for any contest then they are going to take it seriously. Every sportsmen worth their salt loves to win and hates to lose.......if they don't then there are far bigger issues at play.

But it must also be acknowledged that with the amount of cricket played that team managements do prioritise certain events. Whether we the fans share the same priorities as the management is probably what we should be discussing.

As an example England went into this tournament with the biggest handicap that currently exists in world cricket......Jade Dernbach, while Jimmy Anderson was sitting at home taking a well earned rest (IMO) Now I do know that Jimmy hasn't played an International T20 game in nearly 5 years but ****ed if anyone can lodge a serious case for Turdbach being a better T20 bowler than Jimmy. Is this an indication of where the England team management rate T20 cricket, even a WC where Steyn played who is very closely managed by the Saffers?? And do we as fans agree with it??

Personally I do, I don't want Anderson playing T20 cricket, I'd rather he be managed and saved for (IMO) more important contests.

As I said earlier in the thread this is an interesting debate and I am not hating on T20 cricket (because that would clearly make me a test poser who is an idiot) but I am interested in sharing my views and hearing others on where it rates in terms of importance to the fans, the players and the team managements.......because they will not always be the same.

Red

I couldn't give a flying **** who wins the T20 world cup, but I'll follow the 50 over world cup with a lot of interest.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't give a flying **** who wins the T20 world cup, but I'll follow the 50 over world cup with a lot of interest.
This. I still maintain T20 shouldn't be an international format, but I know it's wasted breath.

watson

Banned

No one is denying the emotional impact of T20 cricket, nor the importance of emotion in a cricket match. But emotion is only half of it.

Deep down, I'm sure that we would all agree that it is far more difficult to play Test cricket, and to succeed at Test Cricket, than any other form of the game. It is the unbelievable skill and tenacity required to bat all day against McGrath and Warne, or Marshall and Holding that we really admire, and puts the 5 Day game on a higher plain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think it has ever been questioned how much it means to the players. These are competitive sportsmen and if they are pulling on their national jersey for any contest then they are going to take it seriously. Every sportsmen worth their salt loves to win and hates to lose.......if they don't then there are far bigger issues at play.
This T20 World Cup means ****load more than any bilateral ODI series in the last few years though. No dickheads are throwing stones at Yuvraj's house when India lost 0-4 to NZ recently. Mahela and Sanga weren't near tears when they won the Asia Cup.

Years ago I was anti T20 too, and in particular, didn't care too much about the T20 WC and T20 internationals. But if its making Sammy, Bravo and Gayle go crazy and bringing Mahela to tears, its time to accept that this **** just means a ****ing hell of a lot. It just does.