• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future Legends

Don

State Vice-Captain
dwayne bravo
dinesh rhamdin
a young guy called cooper --------- >if they focus and stop acting like holes
another one called hanuman-------->

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
Tendulkar was and is more of a people's champion than Flintoff will ever be.

Of course, because he has more people in the country he represents and it is a far more cricket-crazy country.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
Course they are! Who'd forget the man who captained their own country to their first victory? :p
For Bangladesh, it'll be even more special, due to that long run of winless test cricket.
It'll be the Bangladeshi version of Headingley 1981
I bet you most cricket "fans" don't know who captained their country to their maiden Test victory.
Of course, the like of Hakon are excused. At present, at least.

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Freddie has a sort-of naive, childish charm about him - never a ranter, criticised by so many early on in his career over his Inzy-like diet - almost a village cricketer in his outlook on the game - "see how far I can hit this one". .
He still has that attitude though. In a recent interview he said kids should play as many shots as they can, not worry about defence and definitely not try to become the next Mark Richardson.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
He still has that attitude though. In a recent interview he said kids should play as many shots as they can, not worry about defence and definitely not try to become the next Mark Richardson.
You may be right - but the reckless Freddie of old is no longer his own game.

What he has done this year above all is to realise that his job is to stick around until the last 10 overs, then cause utter mayhem. He's done the sort of things that Klusener did on one or two occasions, but tempering those aggressive instincts until the right time ("By jove, Colonel. Wait until you see the whites of their bally eyes" so to speak).

Did you see what he did against Sri Lanka?

70 balls, and he worked the ball around for 50 runs - a pretty reasonable strike rate. Then a switch flicked and he hit a half-century off the next 19 deliveries.

Langeveldt

Soutie
yes, he would be abysmal if people never made mistakes..

Hang on, if people didnt make mistakes, he wouldnt have lofted the ball in the air to jayawardene in the first place....

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:

Hang on, if people didnt make mistakes, he wouldnt have lofted the ball in the air to jayawardene in the first place....
All hail Langeveldt, King of Sense! In fact, he would have hit every ball for 6, even the wides...... :D

Also, I agree that Tendulkar is more of a people's champion than Freddie is, but I think Freddie is slightly different, in that Sachin is idolised by millions in and outside of his country for his sheer talent, whereas Freddie is only really a people's champion in England, and it's as much for the way he plays as anything else - if he batted like Mark Richardson I doubt he'd be as popular or effective as he is now. A friendly compromise reached, I think.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:

Hitting the ball in the air to fielders is a different mistake to anything else. As is dropping a catch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which applies to every single person, ever.
Unlike dropped catches which are very much in the minority - if a catch is given, the result expected is for it to be taken.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Which applies to every single person, ever.
No, because there's only one killjoy on here who insists on trying to put down whatever good there is in the game.

Had your parents used it, you wouldn't exist, and we'd all be enjoying it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, and there would be plenty of others whose lives would be lesser, too, let me assure you.
And just because you perceive that something is good, it doesn't automatically make it so - you do not dictate what is what in the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And just because all but one person appreciates the innings, doesn't make you anything but a killjoy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And just because almost everyone is wholly keen to see the best in everything makes someone who isn't a killjoy.
You're not alone in clutching at that straw, I'll give you that.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
All hail Langeveldt, King of Sense! In fact, he would have hit every ball for 6, even the wides...... :D
but there wouldn't be any wides, as they are mistakes

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And just because almost everyone is wholly keen to see the best in everything makes someone who isn't a killjoy.
You're not alone in clutching at that straw, I'll give you that.
Whereas you quite clearly are alone as a killjoy...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We'd end up 0/0 (50ov) plays 0/0 (50ov), because every ball would be too good to play, and every batsmen would be too good to edge it.