• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman's record on sticky wickets?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neither Fingo nor Sir Nev were the Don's greatest admirers though - for me the key is his averages in his four seasons in England - 98, 84, 115 and 89 - I'd be delighted if someone could put forward a decent argument to topple him, but them as try are all pissing into the wind

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Aren't you from Melbourne Monk? Last I visited we had all 4 seasons in 1 day.

Also, Brisbane has a tropical climate with the usual thunderstorms that go with it. If we dig enough I'm sure that we could find scoresheets where NSW got stuck on sticky wickets at the Gabba.
Yeh, we'd have to dig though. It's the usual in England (I think) but pretty rare in summertime Australia to get enough rain to create a problem on the pitch.

the big bambino

International Captain
The comment about rain and Aussie pitches is valid though. A wet wicket in England was hard but you could apply a technique to the problems. From what I've read the sun coming out after rain made Australian stickies incredibly difficult to bat on. You could excuse Bradman from thinking the task is impossible to master so why bother.

That said Sutcliffe and Hobbs batted England to a win in a Melbourne test in 1929 on a wicket made difficult by sun after rain. Even they were fortunate that Australia didn't pick Ironmonger who was deadly in those conditions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Exactly, you can't play cricket shots on a wet Australia one, barely stand up. English turf a bit different, doesn't pop as viciously in the main.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm English and get a bit fed up of beatification of The Don but you cant escape the fact that his record is amazing.There's not a sportsman so far ahead of anyone else in their particular sport. If I'm picking a team, its Bradman and Sobers without question, then 9 others.