• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did anybody here Colin Bland play?

Craig

World Traveller
Apart from LE did anybody else here see Colin Bland play? Was he a better a fielder then Jonty Rhodes purely because from what I have read he could field in more positions?

A good batsman?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The answer to your question is obviously no - I am Cricket Web's old fart.

Colin Bland wasn't better that Jonty Rhodes - you have to appreciate that in the 1960's, ground-fielding didn't involve much diving, sliding and the like - at least, until Colin Bland came along.

He just took cover fielding to a new level, far higher than anyone had seen it before. He was the first fielder to do 'exhibitions' - hundreds used to turn up, just as they did for Jonty.

He was the master of the 'quick pick-up and throw', quick, mobile and unerringly accurate.

The next 'world great' to come along was Derek Randall, who probably edged Bland regarding anticipation (Randall was like a panther in the field - quick feet) but was slightly behind on technical ability.

Jonty was the match of both in either category (I watched his 'masterclass' last year and the emphasis he placed on foot movement and weight transference reminded me very much of Randall - tiny steps just before the batsman hits the ball), and so in my mind is Number 1 by the narrowest margin.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
The answer to your question is obviously no - I am Cricket Web's old fart.

Colin Bland wasn't better that Jonty Rhodes - you have to appreciate that in the 1960's, ground-fielding didn't involve much diving, sliding and the like - at least, until Colin Bland came along.

He just took cover fielding to a new level, far higher than anyone had seen it before. He was the first fielder to do 'exhibitions' - hundreds used to turn up, just as they did for Jonty.

He was the master of the 'quick pick-up and throw', quick, mobile and unerringly accurate.

The next 'world great' to come along was Derek Randall, who probably edged Bland regarding anticipation (Randall was like a panther in the field - quick feet) but was slightly behind on technical ability.

Jonty was the match of both in either category (I watched his 'masterclass' last year and the emphasis he placed on foot movement and weight transference reminded me very much of Randall - tiny steps just before the batsman hits the ball), and so in my mind is Number 1 by the narrowest margin.
Between Bland and Randall you would have to put in Clive Lloyd in his early days. Apparently lethal in the covers.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
mavric41 said:
Between Bland and Randall you would have to put in Clive Lloyd in his early days. Apparently lethal in the covers.
Superb athleticism, yes, but nowhere near as quick off the mark - obvious, really - Clive is huge, and so are his hands (fabulous catcher).

Regarding Bland's batting, I only really saw a few of his knocks but he was very solid indeed in the middle order.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don Bradman - all time best batsman
Sobers - all time best all rounder
Gilchrist - All time best keeper batsman
Rhodes - all time best fielder

No one in history come close to them, no matter what any one may say.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen footage of Colin Bland, and for me he seemed better than Rhodes.
IMO it was:
Best batsman of all-time: Sir DG Bradman
Best all-rounder of all-time (and best overall cricketer): Sir GS Sobers
Best bowler of all-time: Malcolm Marshall, followed by SF Barnes
Best fielder of all-time: Colin Bland
Colin Bland had one of the highest Test batting-averages of those who played more than 30 innings'. That is why, IMO, it should be 60 innings'.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Whereas I don't recessarily disagree with the players you have topping each category, the statement 'no one in history comes close' is rather nonsensical.

I've seen Bland - and there wasn't much between him and Rhodes - similarly with Randall.

Opinions are one thing - certainty is quite another.

Clive Lloyd in his early days. Apparently lethal in the covers. [/B][/QUOTE]

im not sure how you are aware of that but i dont think his bedroom habits have anything to do with this topic

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
Don Bradman - all time best batsman
Sobers - all time best all rounder
Gilchrist - All time best keeper batsman
Rhodes - all time best fielder

Bit extreme!

Bradman - Unmatched obviously!

Id say Jacques Kallis might give Sobers a run for his money, maybe his bowling isnt as potent.. Not saying he is better, but he does come close IMO..

Trevor Penney gives Rhodes a run for his money too.. As do guys like Herschelle Gibbs and Ricky Ponting...

Langeveldt said:

Id say Jacques Kallis might give Sobers a run for his money, maybe his bowling isnt as potent.. Not saying he is better, but he does come close IMO..

pass the pipe, i want some of what your smoking

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
Id say Jacques Kallis might give Sobers a run for his money, maybe his bowling isnt as potent..
When you look at it, Sobers' bowling wasn't that great.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
When you look at it, Sobers' bowling wasn't that great.
For a brilliant batsman who filled in with the ball as well, it wasn't all that bad. He never had pace and didn't turn it as much as others, so I think 235 wickets in 93 matches isn't too bad. 6x5w.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes batter-keeper for Gilchrist.

Thats not an extreme statement at all. No one comes close to the 4 I mentioned, according to me atleast.

Craig

World Traveller
I dont know about Adam Gilchrist being the best batsman-keeper ever, Alan Knott remains a favourite of mine.

I remember seeing footage of Knott coming in with Boycott at 80-5 in the Test at Trent Bridge in 1977 and both put on centuries.

LE, where did Randell field?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I dont know about Adam Gilchrist being the best batsman-keeper ever, Alan Knott remains a favourite of mine.

I remember seeing footage of Knott coming in with Boycott at 80-5 in the Test at Trent Bridge in 1977 and both put on centuries.

LE, where did Randell field?
Derek Randall, like any great fielder, fielded anywhere with exceptional skill.
Billy Murdoch, for me, was surely unrivalled as a batsman among 'keepers. Rather like WG Grace and KS Ranjitsinhji.