• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to Mike Denness ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
After the furore of the 'seam-picking' incident which resulted in Tendulkar receiving a one-match ban at the end of 2001, Denness officiated at a couple of games in the capacity of match referee over the next couple of months and then - nothing.

It seems as though he has now been discarded.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doing a little more research on the Mike Denness controversy, it strikes me that he has been railroaded out of international cricket.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
IMO he overreacted in that controversy -- but it does seem a little harsh if he was kicked out of the game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
IMO he overreacted in that controversy -- but it does seem a little harsh if he was kicked out of the game.
He had the audacity to criticise Sachin Tendulkar - that's enough reason for plenty.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
that tool named Jagmohan Dalmeya should be railroaded out of cricket.
Why? he brought money into the game when it was about to die. He is talking about globalising the posrt, having a corporate cricket tournament of cricket in India next year which looks radical new and good. I agree he isnt perfect and bringing Bangladesh into test cricket may not have been ridden by the globalisation agenda but strenghtening power in the ICC but he has been more good than bad for the game.

Craig

World Traveller
Maybe it was a bit harsh. I did lose a lot of respect for him over that incident. Sorry but threatening to send a team home isnt acceptable.

I did feel sorry for Conrad Williams at the time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
He had the audacity to criticise Sachin Tendulkar - that's enough reason for plenty.
Yeh, thats where the problem lies.. I think there are a lot of players who officials seem scared to point the finger at...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
He is talking about globalising the posrt, having a corporate cricket tournament of cricket in India next year which looks radical new and good.
And in the past he's talked of the Asian nations breaking away - how good that would be for World Cricket (!)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
No, Sachin Tendulkar did deserve criticism for for what he did in that test match.

But what Denness should have done was to have a quiet word in Tendulkar's ear and basically say " Look mate, I don't care even if you were just trying to take dirt out of the seam, just don't do it any more -- don't do anything to the ball unless supervised by an umpire".

Instead Denness tried to act like a big shot and went public with the whole thing and it blew up in his face.
I think he found out eventually that he bit off more than he could chew.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
No, Sachin Tendulkar did deserve criticism for for what he did in that test match.

But what Denness should have done was to have a quiet word in Tendulkar's ear and basically say " Look mate, I don't care even if you were just trying to take dirt out of the seam, just don't do it any more -- don't do anything to the ball unless supervised by an umpire".
Why?

Why should SRT be above the law. If he's done wrong, he should be punished appropriately, not just given a quiet word because of who he is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Yeh, thats where the problem lies.. I think there are a lot of players who officials seem scared to point the finger at...
And yet no-one would ever be scared of Tendulkar, nor would he want anyone to be scared of him.
Some officials are, understandibly, scared of Mr. Dalmiya and his crew. He has done the game great service and great disservice. Rather the Hansie Cronje of administration.