• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lance Klusener's future

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The UCBSA has bgiven Klusener a 4 month player contract as a sort of a deal for withdrawing his case against them. Klusener isnt getting much younger but South Africa will be well aided by him, specially in the one dayers. So how long and how well do you think Klusener will play international cricket?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
sounds suspiciously like they paid him out so that he'd keep quiet.

Then again I could be totally wrong.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
After all the words, recriminations and breakfasts, do you honestly think that Zulu will ever play in the same team as Graeme Smith again?

Well, he might, but it'd take an awful lot of, er, inducements (ka-ching) and a few helpings of humble pie (mmmmm, pie) before it happens.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
After all the words, recriminations and breakfasts, do you honestly think that Zulu will ever play in the same team as Graeme Smith again?
South Africa has given them the contract and they are not a team known to waste money. So they would have a contracted player play rather than a non-contracted one :D. The wording is that the pie has already eben eaten and both the people have SOMEHOW reconciled. It would be dramatic for Klusener to play international cricket again which can happen pretty soon now.

But the drama is not over there. He is 33 and he may not be good enough any more. Some players have managed to stretch their career to their late 30s and early 40s but its a rare case. It would be very interesting to see how long Klusener can hold his forte in a 'second' career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Okay I apologise for my ignorance but I've obviously missed something in the past few months because I have no idea what you guys are referring to. What situation arose with Klusener? Paid him out to be quiet? Can someone please explain what has occurred recently to me, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Okay I apologise for my ignorance but I've obviously missed something in the past few months because I have no idea what you guys are referring to. What situation arose with Klusener? Paid him out to be quiet? Can someone please explain what has occurred recently to me, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Easy answer - google Klusener:D

OK, it went something like this....

May 27, breakfast

June 12 - Pollock's 2 cents

September 16 - things get dirty

Nov 21, all kissy-kissy again

Dec 6 - maybe not

Jan 6 2004 - all better

Confusing, isn't it?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, thanks luckyeddy, that was very much appreciated :)

What I gather is the board were unhappy with Klusener and dropped him and Smith decided to pop his head in the situation. I find the case Klusener put forward very interesting, but I guess since it's withdrawn it's all in the past now, or so they want us to think.

It's ashame this happened to Klusener, he really had peaked in '99 and whenever I think Klusener I think WC '99 where he was just absolutely exciting. Is there anything left in the tank? Will he get a chance to prove that he does?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good too see, but as long as allrounders like Andrew Hall hang around, Zulu can't and shouldn't get back into the team..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Good too see, but as long as allrounders like Andrew Hall hang around, Zulu can't and shouldn't get back into the team..
In ODI's I'd take Klusener over Hall in a heartbeat.

Craig

World Traveller
He can have no complaints about being axed, his form wasnt even good enough to make the South African team. I hate it when people are picked on reputation, not form,.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
He can have no complaints about being axed, his form wasnt even good enough to make the South African team. I hate it when people are picked on reputation, not form,.
Hmmmm.... from my memory he almost single-handedly defeated the West Indies (57 from 48 balls with a four and 5 sixes) in the opening game of the World Cup and hit a decent unbeaten 33 from 36 balls against New Zealand.

That's not the worst form in the world.

Craig

World Traveller
But his form was not spectatular over the last couple of years. He seemed to go off the boil.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well, in limited opportunity of 32 innings over the last two years of his career to date, Klusener scored 844 runs at 46.88 with 5 fifties. 2 of those fifties came against Australia.

He's also taken 41 wickets in that time (45 games).

Not his best, but better than average I'd say.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think Klusener was in the side as a bowling all rounder and his bowling was poor in 2001-2002. That is why he was dropped. His batting was as good as normal but in that two year period he took 36 wickets @ 36 in 42 games and only one 3-fer. Not a bad record but now Ntini has emerged and Nel and maybe Hall, I can't see him getting back in at 32.

Hall is a good player but maybe too bits and pieces to take a side like South Africa forward. Klusener is a better player on paper, but if his bowling isn't up to scratch he's not a very useful all rounder.