• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis retires from Tests

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unquestionably at least the second best all rounder to walk the earth. What a gun. Always said for much of his career that he was the most underrated player getting around.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
He really wants to have a go at the world cup doesn't he. What a wonderful career it's been, always hated him when he played against India cuz you knew he would score a ton of runs.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He really wants to have a go at the world cup doesn't he. What a wonderful career it's been, always hated him when he played against India cuz you knew he would score a ton of runs.
Yeah, we never looked like getting him out. I remember a weight used to settle in my heart whenever he batted against us, and I hoped the others would get dismissed around him. Even in this test, we needed a very bad decision to get him once he had settled down :) Great player. Great batsman. Really wish he wins the WC. For the first time in 2015, I will be rooting for someone other than India to win it. That is not to say I will not be rooting for India more.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Unquestionably at least the second best all rounder to walk the earth. What a gun. Always said for much of his career that he was the most underrated player getting around.
2nd? Really?

Considering he's like Sobers but with less natural talent, you rate him as a better allrounder than the big 4 of the 80s?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2nd? Really?

Considering he's like Sobers but with less natural talent, you rate him as a better allrounder than the big 4 of the 80s?
Not sure what's so hard to understand about the word 'unquestionably' itbt.

The only way you can rate any of the group from the 80's better than Kallis is if you look back with rose tinted glasses. Kallis as an all rounder was so much more prolific. Only Sobers is ahead.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Not sure what's so hard to understand about the word 'unquestionably' itbt.

The only way you can rate any of the group from the 80's better than Kallis is if you look back with rose tinted glasses. Kallis as an all rounder was so much more prolific. Only Sobers is ahead.
Kallis wouldn't get into the SA team as a bowler. All the 80s crew in their peaks would get in their teams as either. Even Hadlee as a batsman at one point

That's the bottom line in allrounder stakes

SeamUp

International Coach
We talk about the 4 great all-rounders of the 80's but Clive Rice was arguably as good as, if not better as the all-round package than those four. He 'proved' it by winning 3 of the 4 comps between the 5 in the 80's and Rice has unequivocally said that Kallis battles Sobers for the greatest all-rounder.

Honourable mentions to Keith Miller, Trevor Goddard, Eddie Barlow, Mike Procter, Brian McMillan, Shaun Pollock, Chris Cairns and Andrew Flintoff when it comes to seam bowling all-rounders post WWII.

But in any case, we've seen how rare the quality all-rounder is so I've always tried to stay away from ranking them.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
We talk about the 4 great all-rounders of the 80's but Clive Rice was arguably as good as, if not better as the all-round package than those four. He 'proved' it by winning 3 of the 4 comps between the 5 in the 80's and Rice has unequivocally said that Kallis battles Sobers for the greatest all-rounder.

Honourable mentions to Keith Miller, Trevor Goddard, Eddie Barlow, Mike Procter, Brian McMillan, Shaun Pollock, Chris Cairns and Andrew Flintoff when it comes to seam bowling all-rounders post WWII.

But in any case, we've seen how rare the quality all-rounder is so I've always tried to stay away from ranking them.
Early Botham beats Kallis as an allrounder.

An allrounder is just that. A guy who wins matches with bat AND ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
Early Botham beats Kallis as an allrounder.

An allrounder is just that. A guy who wins matches with bat AND ball.

I've certainly seen Kallis take five-fors in test cricket and ODI cricket in my time. When he has needed to do so he has stepped up with the ball. It is just that so much of the damage was done or that he wasn't even required.

When Mark Boucher is asked about the best spell of bowling and the quickest he kept to he could have said Pollock, Donald, Ntini , Steyn, Morkel, Philander and the likes but he constantly reminds us of the 1999 CWC against Sri Lanka at Northampton where he bowled outswingers at high pace and took wickets and that was the hardest anyone has hit his gloves. The umpires that day saw to it.

Kallis is a unique cricketer. A true all-rounder who averages not much off Anderson, Borad, Flintoff and the likes. He has bowled at different stages in different conditions and tested in different circumstances and that is a definite over a 165 test match career.

rza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is wrong:
1. His last test is not in Newlands, who cares about identity confused Kingsmead crowd?
2. He's a few wickets from 300
3. He looked good in his last innings
4. He's a few catches from Dravid record
5. I really believed he could still get to 50 test centuries

This is the most unexpected news. He must be pushed or the booing crowd at Wanderers killed his spirit. I wish he played for England, Aus or India and he could have got the credit that he deserves.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I've certainly seen Kallis take five-fors in test cricket and ODI cricket in my time. When he has needed to do so he has stepped up with the ball. It is just that so much of the damage was done or that he wasn't even required.

When Mark Boucher is asked about the best spell of bowling and the quickest he kept to he could have said Pollock, Donald, Ntini , Steyn, Morkel, Philander and the likes but he constantly reminds us of the 1999 CWC against Sri Lanka at Northampton where he bowled outswingers at high pace and took wickets and that was the hardest anyone has hit his gloves. The umpires that day saw to it.

Kallis is a unique cricketer. A true all-rounder who averages not much off Anderson, Borad, Flintoff and the likes. He has bowled at different stages in different conditions and tested in different circumstances and that is a definite over a 165 test match career.
Kallis is a great cricketer alright!

But not a true allrounder. Averages aside, less than 2 wickets a match ain't enough. I'd prefer him if he took 3 per match and averged 44 with the bat.

Xuhaib

International Coach
feel gutted Sachin, Swann and now kallis in such a short space of time. Easily the most complete cricketer during my time of watching cricket.

NickDB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
all-rounder
n
a versatile person, esp in a sport

If Kallis doesn't meet that criteria, I don't know who does. You'll be missed, Mr Kallis, so long and thanks for all the memories.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Didn't see this happening for some reason but I guess he decided to get out before he stats began to decline with his form. Without doubt the second best Batting All Rounder and possibly All Rounder period in the history of the game. Great batsman and slip fielder and as he showed last week still capable of taking wickets when required.

He will be missed and with him and Chanderpaul leaving the game it is now truly the end of an era. May never see an era with the likes of Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting and Kallis again.
well Afridi is still around:ph34r:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis
165 matches, 13174 runs @ 55.12. 44 100's

Tendulkar
200 matches, 15921 runs @ 53.78. 51 100's

Ponting
168 matches, 13378 runs @ 51.85. 41 100's

ok now let's look at their bowling figures
Or catches..THE best..We are lucky to have been in the same era..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kallis is nowhere near the quality of Miller or Imran, let alone Sobers. But that doesn't mean he wasn't an excellent player. As a batsman, I'd put him a little bit below Dravid, or thereabouts. As an overall player, he was better.