• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman after Lara and Sachin

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dravid and Ponting are clearly the next best, followed by Hayden.
I cant tell wheater Dravid or Ponting is better because I havent seen that much of him

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Once again Chanderpaul sneeks under the radar...

Also, why is Kallis in the 3rd grouping?? Surely he's better than Kirsten, Thorpe and Fleming at the very least.
Chanders I missed by accident.

Kallis remains in Group 3. I would far rather see Kallis come out to the wicket as a bowler than either Kirsten, Thorpe or Fleming.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Despite the fact Kallis averages 52, Kirsten 45, Thorpe 42 and Fleming 38? :duh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And until it comes down you've got no grounds criticising him.:D
How can everyone possibly rate Stephen Waugh's deeds so low? For me he slips into the Tendulkar, Lara group - those 3 are a class above anything.
Maybe I'll do a Neil-impression grouping sometime.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How can everyone possibly rate Stephen Waugh's deeds so low? For me he slips into the Tendulkar, Lara group - those 3 are a class above anything.
Waugh is definitely in the top bracket like Lara and Tendulkar as one of the greats of the game.

I was talking of the players who can become greats 'players for the future' as I put on the post. So Waugh doesnt come into the discussion at all according to me like Lara and Tendulkar dont.

Bazza said:
Despite the fact Kallis averages 52, Kirsten 45, Thorpe 42 and Fleming 38? :duh:
yea your right, the kid who said otherwise needs to put the crackpipe down. kallis owns kirsten thorpe n flem

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I would put Dravid and then Hayden as the next best batsmen after Sachin & Lara. Ponting has not done too well in India in last couple of series he has played and I would wait till the recent India-Aus series to put him above Hayden. If he does well (which I am sure) then he is right up there.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
One of Ponting, Sarwan, Dravid, Laxman, Vaughan, SS Das(don't laugh), Jacques Rudolph, Inzamam

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sureky the best batsman after Lara and Tendulakar would be the person who's best suited to sitting hours waiting for his turn, knowing he's next in, seeing as if those 2 get going they could bat all day without getting out?

cbuts

International Debutant
i odnt understand how so many internationals rate flemming so high - he is so increadibly average with the bat. i dont think smith is giong to go on and be as good as some he think. we showed how to crumble him and unless he can fix this emotinoal problem he has he is never gonna be sucesful, both aussie and enlgnad im sure will expliot this weakness in his game

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Ponting has been around for ages remember he started early and has faced Wasim, Waqar ambrose etc.. and done extremly well against them.

Ponting's stat's against Pakistan are very good he avrages around 75 and almost all of those run's have come against Pakistan attack's with Akram, Waqar, Shoaib etc..
Actually in tests Ponting has played Akram only in the 1999 series in Aus.That series wasn't very spectacular for Ponting except for a 197 he scored at Perth. And he played Waqar in that series and later in the series which was played in SL and Sharjah when Waqar was pretty much on his way out.

And the same can be said about his record against WI till the Ambrose and Walsh combination was around. He averaged below 40 against WI in that period as against his current average of over 60 against WI.

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
michael_vaughan said:
well i think the best batter after Lara and Sachin is michael vaughan

jane
What, don't you think that Michael Vaughan is better than BCL and SRT? :p

FRAZ

International Captain
For me Sanath Jayasuriya . Boy this guy reminded us the good o days of viv atleast for some period of time .........