• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I have some Cricket questions:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
England could save the match by batting out this day and the 5th!

There are usually 3 sessions for 2 hrs each. In between the sessions are the breaks (Lunch and Tea).

Shane1988

Cricket Spectator
It only dawned on me earlier that the four innings thing is spread over four days. Last night I was under the impression that each day both of them had two innings apiece - so 16 innings per test which, I now understand, is completely daft.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah basically one of two things needs to happen, all four innings need to finish or all 5 days of the match need to be played out. If the former happens, it means we have a result, but if all 5 days pass without all four innings being over, then it's a draw.

What steds is alluding to is that there are special situations where a result can be achieved in 3 innings. The "follow on" is one of the special situations where it is possible that not all four innings need to be completed in order to achieve a result. Imagine that after Australia made 570, England batted but lost all of their batsmen before making enough runs to reach within 200 runs of Australia's total (so 570 - 200 = 370), Australia have the option to force England to bat again. If at this point Australia were to get all English batsmen out before the aggregate of England's two innings is less than 570 runs, then Australia win in 3 innings.

Alternately, if Australia made, say, 150 runs in the first inning, England made 400 runs (lead of 250 runs), and proceeded to get all Australian batsmen out before they could make 250+ runs in the third inning, England win the match without having to bat again.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't worry if you know nothing about cricket mate. You'll fit in nicely with a number of other people also writing about the game. Is there nobody working for the site who has any idea about the game?

Shane1988

Cricket Spectator
Don't worry if you know nothing about cricket mate. You'll fit in nicely with a number of other people also writing about the game. Is there nobody working for the site who has any idea about the game?
There's people writing about it at this very moment pal. There is many people on the site who know about the game, but me, being one of the more recent arrivals at the company, has not yet been asked to do it - until now.

I should also clarify that I will not be "writing about the game" in a way that suggests I'll be offering opinion and an in-depth analysis on today's test. I will simply be writing a brief, 200-word report on the result. Easy, right? Well, not for a non-Cricket fan.

With football, for example, I can document the major moments and put it together in less than five minutes. This is difficult for me with Cricket because, considering I've got no experience watching the sport, it's tricky to identify what the major moments are in a Cricket match.

Shane1988

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, I watched last night too so I know about Johnson's seven wickets and the two centuries, which I can drop in. To be honest, my confidence level is increasing with every over.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good on ya mate, hopefully you become a fan of the game. If you watched Mitch yesterday you saw something special.

Shane1988

Cricket Spectator
Does this make sense?
-----------------------------------

England have forced a fifth day in the second Ashes test to prevent Australia from taking a 2-0 lead in the series.

The tourists, who trailed the hosts by 530 runs at the start of day four in Adelaide, ended the contest on 247-6 after 90 overs.

Mitchell Johnson, who proved the tourists' chief tormentor yesterday by claiming seven wickets, picked up where he left off on day three.

The 32-year-old bowled a short ball for Alastair Cook, whose decision to attack proved costly as Brad Harris caught out the skipper for one in the second over.

Michael Carberry (14) soon followed his partner back to the Pavilion in similar fashion, as the 33-year-old took on the short ball from Peter Siddle, only for Nathan Lyon to catch out the left-hander after 39 balls.

The combination of Joe Root and Kevin Pietersen helped England to their century just prior to the 39th over.

However, Siddle claimed his second wicket after lunch by ending Pietersen's gallant resistance at the crease to bowl him out 53-99.

Ian Bell followed shortly before tea, caught out by Johnson after he clothed a Steve Smith full-toss.

Root, meanwhile, remained in-play and edged toward his century after batting a four in the 62nd over to bring his contribution to 86 not out.

However, history repeated itself for the 22-year-old, as Lyon - whose delivery led to Root's dismissal on day three - executed an inside edge which deflected off the youngster's thigh and into the hands of wicket-keeper Brad Haddin, ending a 194-ball stint.

Ben Stokes followed 28-90, but Stuart Broad and Matt Prior held on to force a fifth day.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Comments on each line you have written. I didn't watch the game so my feedback is just based on your use of cricketing language.

England have forced a fifth day in the second Ashes test to prevent Australia from taking a 2-0 lead in the series. - good

The tourists, who trailed the hosts by 530 runs at the start of day four in Adelaide, ended the contest on 247-6 after 90 overs - good

Mitchell Johnson, who proved the tourists' chief tormentor yesterday by claiming seven wickets, picked up where he left off on day three - good

The 32-year-old bowled a short ball for Alastair Cook, whose decision to attack proved costly as Brad Harris caught out the skipper for one in the second over.- ok

Michael Carberry (14) soon followed his partner back to the Pavilion in similar fashion, as the 33-year-old took on the short ball from Peter Siddle, only for Nathan Lyon to catch out the left-hander after 39 balls. May be just catch the left hander and not catch out.

The combination of Joe Root and Kevin Pietersen helped England to their century just prior to the 39th over. How about helped england past the 100 mark just prior to the 39th over. We don't talk about England's century usually.

However, Siddle claimed his second wicket after lunch by ending Pietersen's gallant resistance at the crease to bowl him out 53-99. make this 53(99)

Ian Bell followed shortly before tea, caught out by Johnson after he clothed a Steve Smith full-toss. Don't know what you mean by clothed. howe about mis hit. If that is what you mean

Root, meanwhile, remained in-play and edged toward his century after batting a four in the 62nd over to bring his contribution to 86 not out. Take out in play. And have hitting a four not batting a four

However, history repeated itself for the 22-year-old, as Lyon - whose delivery led to Root's dismissal on day three - executed an inside edge which deflected off the youngster's thigh and into the hands of wicket-keeper Brad Haddin, ending a 194-ball stint.

Ben Stokes followed 28-90, but Stuart Broad and Matt Prior held on to force a fifth day. 28(90) brackets around the balls.

Good effort.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too many age mentions. Catch out is also a phrase not usually used. You also usually don't say team x scored a century, that's more commonly used for batsmen.

Edit: yeah, follow what hurricane daid and you should be good to go.

Last edited: