• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Top 6 2004/05

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
This is what I think will be batting next summer

J.Langer
M.Hayden
R.Ponting
M.Clarke
D.Lehman/M.Love
S.Katich

If Damien Martyn doen't score test runs shortly I can see him being dropped. Its been a long time since he scored a ton.
It depends if Lehman comes back fit whether Martin Love is given an extended go.
Michael Clarke seems to be the GOLDEN boy they want to rush into the test side and play him between two experianced batsmen.
Katich is the best option for now because he offers the extra spin opition.

What so others think?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything the Australian Selectors seem to be trying to keep Clarke as far away from the Test side as possible. He's signed for the entire county season with Hampshire (excluding ODI call-ups) and there has been no mention of him being anywhere near a place at the moment. He hasn't started well in the Pura Cup this winter and I think the only way he can get into the side is by a few good seasons at FC level.

Damien Martyn won't get dropped, he's been scoring consistantly and wouldn't you rather a batsman only made 50s yet ended up with more runs than someone who only made 100s? He's very important to Australia batting at number 4. Clarke, if he makes his debut in the future (he might fail in FC and be considered only as a OD bat, it's too early to tell), he will get the Ponting Treatment and bat at 6. Love will probably get an extended run in the side at 5, or Lehmann will, with Katich fighting for a place at 6. I personally think Love will bat 6 with Lehmann at 5.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont like Martin Love.

I just hate his style or lack of style. Some say he is elegant and a great timer of the ball but I dont really like him. Sorry Martin :)

More importaintly I dont think he is that good.

Back to Clark it's to early to say he has started poorly in the Pura Cup given he has only played 3 game's and got start's in most inning's without going on.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
unfortunatley i think lehmann is unlikley to play international cricket again, he is too old. al;though due to being one of the best players of spin may just get on tour to Sri lanka, Love doesn't play spin as well and such i dont think should tour Sri lanka.

the selectors obviously have Clarke at the top of their monds being VC fo te Aust A side and skipper of the OD Aust A side maybe next Aussie season he might get a call up depending on how he goes between now and than

hourn

U19 Cricketer
age_master said:
unfortunatley i think lehmann is unlikley to play international cricket again, he is too old.
When Lehmann comes back from injury (from what I could gather that is rather soon) the time between than and the first Sri Lankan test (I'd assume he'd get picked on the tour) is the biggest period in his career. If he doesn't get first preference on S. Waugh's spot than one would think that is the end of him as if he did get recalled it would only be increasing the age of an already ageing team.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eclipse said:
I dont like Martin Love.

I just hate his style or lack of style. Some say he is elegant and a great timer of the ball but I dont really like him. Sorry Martin :)

Yeah, I'm not too sure about him either. He's certainly not someone to send the opposition quivering in their boots. But he is a "solid accumulator", and someone that more often than not puts a score on the board.

But Micky Clarke is a hard one though. I saw a report on Fox Sports News today that "Michael Clarke says he's ready to fill the void left by Steve Waugh". But while I'm not doubting his talent and ability to succeed at Test level, I'd like to see him made a few more really solid hundreds at Pura Cup level.

I think:

Hayden

Langer (how old is Langer?? How long does he have left??)

Ponting

Martyn (will stay for a while - but I agree that he needs a ton or two... and a score above 133!)

Love

Katich (but needs to cement his place with the bat)

If Katich or Love fail or are injured, then I think Clarke will get a run. Lehmann is just, like, soooo 1997.... :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How come you're all writing Lehmann off so readily?

To the best of my knowledge, he's never let Australia down, and must surely be given a chance ahead of unproven players?

I mean last year, he scored 670 @ 74.44 in Tests, and is still 33.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes, I know, but.... it sort of seems as a bit of a dead end to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Lehmann is tremendously talented... however, that talent was probably best used in the international arena about 3 years ago and then built on. I think if he kept on going after the Windies tour this year, he could have very easily established himself in the middle order by now. But...

It seems a bit harsh, I know. Well, if Lehmann does get overlooked for Clarke/Love/whoever, I'd just hate to be the poor bastard who has to reason with Darren as to why he isn't in the team... 'cause I've got nothin (except for maybe his haircut).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
MrPerko said:
Well, if Lehmann does get overlooked for Clarke/Love/whoever, I'd just hate to be the poor bastard who has to reason with Darren as to why he isn't in the team... 'cause I've got nothin (except for maybe his haircut).
So if you've got no reason why he shouldn't be in the team, surely by definition he should be in the team?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Damien Martyn won't get dropped, he's been scoring consistantly and wouldn't you rather a batsman only made 50s yet ended up with more runs than someone who only made 100s? He's very important to Australia batting at number 4.
The strange thing is Martyn hasn't been batting at all well, yet he's still averaging over 50 in the series. It really reflects how easy runs are to come by.
I seriously hope the single-figure scores come before he starts getting the big ones again.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
my top 6 i think will be as follows

gilchrist (he will step up now waugh has gone)

ponting

martyn

hayden

williams

warne

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Martyn is Mr. Reliable and will get a big score soon, trust me. To say hes not batting well is insane. He is.

I also agree Gilchrist will step up, to 5, then they might have a gamble with a youngster (c'mon clarkey) at 6.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
I also agree Gilchrist will step up, to 5, then they might have a gamble with a youngster (c'mon clarkey) at 6.
And what about the ones ahead of him in the line?

He's not as good as you seem to make out, and there's other, far more deserving, batsmen who should be given a go first.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
He's not as good as you seem to make out, and there's other, far more deserving, batsmen who should be given a go first.
I reckon he is probably as good as what most people think he is extreamly talented much more so than say Martin Love.

However talent alone does not make a good batsman and I think that's the importaint point. The Australian selector's cant just pick him just because of his amazing talent he has to show over a longer period that he can utilize that talent and score plenty of runs.

It's extreamly easy to say get him in the team once you have seen him bat because he just look's so good and beleve me the thought would cross your mind to if you had seen some of the inning's he has played.

I still agree with you there are other batsman who do deserve a chance before him.

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
Martyn is Mr. Reliable and will get a big score soon, trust me. To say hes not batting well is insane. He is.

Groupie.