• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Sachin Thread: what if...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
See, when I joined this forum the Little Master was having a tough time, the nadir of which was probably his home crowd booing him v England in 06.

A lot of people thought he was finished. Many more were convinced he would rise again.

And of course, it was the latter who would be proved correct. For whatever we can say of his form since the 99th hundred, he revelled in his second coming with some majestic displays, batting which had quite frankly broken straight out of heaven.

Prior to that, there was definitely a consensus beginning to form that, hey, Ponting may actually be the better batsman, overall. I doubt anyone would argue that now. Not that he's without peer, but well, that's another discussion that has and will continue to be had right here, in Sachin Chat.

But let's say after that Mumbai defeat in 06 (sorry India fans (except Jono, he can **** off) couldn't resist but to mention that you lost that match. I have the DVD and everything, it's called Freddie's Heroes) Tendy thought, you know what, **** it, I'm done. How would it affect his legacy?

The guy has been regarded as a great the whole time I've watched cricket, really. Would he still appear in so many AT XIs? Would he be as highly regarded in India? Would Virat Kohli have never been born?

Was the second coming just the icing on the cake, or is it that that put him right up there to have a very strong claim to be the best non-Don?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's the second coming that's given Tendulkar the batting records which lends legitimacy to the 2nd besr after the Don claims.

He gives up the ghost in 2006 and he'd struggle to be regarded as the 2nd best of his generation, never mind of all time.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Him retiring in 2006 wouldn't have affected how Indians saw Sachin. By the end of the 90s Sachin was firmly the pre-eminent public personality in India. Even though he was booed in the Mumbai test him announcing his retirement would have been enough to bring the love to the forefront.

His 90s batting was enough to show the world that he deserved to be talked about as an all time great. But the second coming is what has made him, in the minds of a lot of people, the pre-eminent batsman of his age.

I personally do not consider it as a mere icing on the cake, even though I was lucky enough to see the great Tendulkar of the 90s. He changed his style of batting, cutting down all undue risk and still not slowing down considerably, at such a late stage. Some of the innings he played during this period from 2007-11 will remain amongst my most favourite Sachin innings. The Hyderabad 175, the Cape Town century, the centuries in Australia. This ability to adapt and succeed, I think, put him right up there.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not forget that he ended up with a World Cup win as well as 200* in an ODI. It's all done a lot to his legacy.

If he had retired in late 2006, he would've had the following stats- Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Avg of 71 in Eng in 2006 vs mid 50s now. On the other hand, he would've had significantly inferior numbers against South Africa, including just 3 100s (as opposed to 7 now). So his performances against Steyn and co have also added to his legacy.

Obviously the best time for him to retire would've been sometime in 2011 as him continuing on after that has deflated his well deserved figures.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, good thread. Amazingly, the better twist as well is what if Sachin had retired in 2006 (or after the 07 World Cup) but then Ponting retired in 2008 or 2009 at the latest. Its really quite possible that he'd have had been seen as greater.

Overall, Sachin's 2008-11 period allowed him to be part of a test team that got to #1, win a World Cup, break the record test runs, and be the first player to ever get to 200 in an ODI. A huge part of his legacy will be his second coming.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Any excuse to bring up flintoff eh??
Freddie was obviously immense in the Test I mentioned but in all seriousness I chose that test because of him being booed in Mumbai. It seemed an appropriate cut off.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Tendulkar had retired in 06 and Ponting in 08, I think ponting would have been looked upon as greater by many more people.
If Tendulkar had retired in 2011, he might well have gone down as the undisputed #2 in the eyes of many people.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Tendulkar had retired in 06 and Ponting in 08, I think ponting would have been looked upon as greater by many more people.
If Tendulkar had retired in 2011, he might well have gone down as the undisputed #2 in the eyes of many people.
Not sure if it would have been undisputed, but I think you are right on the whole. It just shows why people are dumb ****s doesn't it?

OverratedSanity

Not sure if it would have been undisputed, but I think you are right on the whole. It just shows why people are dumb ****s doesn't it?
Haha yeah so true... The emphasis on ending on a high is overstated quite a bit. People in general seem to forget great cricketers' slumps at the end of their careers though over time so it evens out

OverratedSanity

Sachin circa 1998 was by far the best batsman that I've ever seen.
Not quite 'by far' but I agree. It's just a shame we played so few tests in summer 98... It was just odis that year. If we'd played a few more I'm sure Tendulkar would have ended up with close to 60 hundreds. It's a luxury Ponting enjoyed... He could cash in at his peak because Australia played loads of tests

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Or perhaps, if India had played more Test cricket in that period, Tendulkar would have burnt out a lot sooner than he did.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Or perhaps, if India had played more Test cricket in that period, Tendulkar would have burnt out a lot sooner than he did.
Would've been better as he would have likely retired in 2011 (or before) since he would've already got everything done by then (100 100s, 200 Tests, world cup, etc)

Actually what would've helped is him not getting out in the 90s as often. iirc he got 27 90s in international cricket! Thats more 90s than large majority of the batsman get 100s in their entire career. 127 90+ scores. ****.