Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Warne on Ponting

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    But he wasn't speaking out against him. He said he had reservations about him but by the time he became captain he thought he was the right bloke for the job and would do it well.

If Clarke (or anyone for that matter) can't cop that, he's got a touch of the Johnson's about him.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Am I the only one who thinks Clarke far from deserves this genius tag?
    hendrix likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think he's tactically very good tbh. Will often ring an out there bowling change and it will come off. I don't know if genius is th eright word, but I'd say he's very good. Plainly has some problems off the field but within the team though.
    Prince EWS and Son Of Coco like this.

best thing is that the more **** is heaped on clarkeh, the better he goes. expect 1500.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Clarke far from deserves this genius tag?
    He's not bad, but the lauding of his declarations is ridiculous. And I'm not even talking about the last test in England - that was a desperation declaration and I didn't have a problem with it (the slowing down the game at the end, OTOH...). I'm talking about the times he's declared in the first innings on 400 rather than push for a big score. Really dumb ****.
    Prince EWS likes this.

The only time I can think of that is Hobart. And maybe that WI Test where he declared behind.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Maybe not a genius, but he makes things happen, which is more than can be said about many captains. He certainly makes for an entertaining captain too, I love the way he captains tbh
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

He's definitely unusually good at reading the game as a batsman would. I think it was GF who pointed out that one of the main reasons we managed to contain England's batsmen so effectively - even Bell and KP never really got away from us with the obvious bizarre exception - was because Clarke had set his field with serious care, so shots would often be middled straight to a fieldsman.
    Flem274* likes this.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What have Hayden and Symonds said that is anti-Clarke?
    And how is Symonds a "team player"?!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I thought Ponting said wtte he had concerns about Clarke buying into the team ethos when he first started playing but by the time he took over the captaincy he was of the view Clarke was right as rain?

I really don't see what the problem is with that tbh, unless there's something else Ponting said which I haven't latched onto.
    Yeah, it's a massive beat up. Am reading the book at the moment and there's nothing in his comments at all.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Yeah, it's a massive beat up. Am reading the book at the moment and there's nothing in his comments at all.
    There never is. The media will make a big deal out of it if Ponting said he didn't like a t-shirt Clarke once wore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I thought Ponting said wtte he had concerns about Clarke buying into the team ethos when he first started playing but by the time he took over the captaincy he was of the view Clarke was right as rain?

I really don't see what the problem is with that tbh, unless there's something else Ponting said which I haven't latched onto.
    What's more likely:

a) media latch onto and report the bit where Ponting says Clarke's a bit of a ****"
    b) media headline is "Clarke's a good guy - Ponting".

Given that, making the comments on the eve of an Ashes series is a bit stupid is it not?

Yeah sure, Ponting's retired. But **** me, show a bit of respect for the blokes still wearing the baggy green, particularly the guy who inherited the poisoned chalice from you and who had to score a mountain of runs to make up for how crap you were in your last 2 years.
    Red Hill likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    He's definitely unusually good at reading the game as a batsman would. I think it was GF who pointed out that one of the main reasons we managed to contain England's batsmen so effectively - even Bell and KP never really got away from us with the obvious bizarre exception - was because Clarke had set his field with serious care, so shots would often be middled straight to a fieldsman.
    It was particularly noticable with Cook. The amount of times where he'd look bogged down then hit a really good shot straight to a fielder for 0 runs was beyond belief, when the shots should have disappeared to the boundary.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    What's more likely:

a) media latch onto and report the bit where Ponting says Clarke's a bit of a ****"
    b) media headline is "Clarke's a good guy - Ponting".

Given that, making the comments on the eve of an Ashes series is a bit stupid is it not?

Yeah sure, Ponting's retired. But **** me, show a bit of respect for the blokes still wearing the baggy green, particularly the guy who inherited the poisoned chalice from you and who had to score a mountain of runs to make up for how crap you were in your last 2 years.
    I dunno. What appears to have happened is that people have conflated Ponting talking about Clarke well before he was made captain with what he thinks of him now or, at least, upon assuming the captaincy. I doubt Ponting could have seen such a blatant misrepresentation of his words coming. The only way to avoid that, really, would be if noone says anything at all which reflects badly on Clarke at any time whilst he's captain and I would never agree that's the way to go.

Either way, an Aussie captain relinquishing the captaincy but staying on as a player was unheard of so if Ponting and Clarke had serious issues when Ponting gave it away, they'd most definitely have come to a head right there and then and you'd imagine Ponting would have lost out fairly quickly. That Ponting stayed on for a couple of years afterward says a lot about how they regard each other.

Agree with B00rge, Clarke can easily cop someone like Ponting bagging his behaviour from years ago, especially since, as far as criticism goes, it's pretty mild. Put another way, if the Aussie lose the Ashes and pin the blame on disunity caused by what Ponting and others have said, well, it's pretty thin.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 05-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Prince EWS and Flem274* like this.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information