• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What a year!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
halsey said:
Lee is the one that chucks

i think your a little obsessed with him chucking, maybe you should have a look at him bowl... i think you will fins that when he releases the ball is arm is dead straight.

Langeveldt

Soutie
halsey said:
Mate, welcome to the forums, but you, unfortunately, are talking rubbish in my opinion (which some will say counts for nothing:P) Lee is the one that chucks, not Akhtar.
They both look pretty similar to me... Anyway nobody should be pointing the finger at those two until the "dacoit from Kandy" is sorted out...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For crying out loud, give it up.

He does not chuck, and trying to move every single thread into a debate about it is just getting pathetic.

Rich2001

International Captain
Akhtar has proven time and time again that he has a medical reason for this which makes it appear to be a throw.

He showed live on TV when touring with Pakistan last time how he can bend his arm back about 45 degrees from the stright, I bet you none of you can do that unless you have the same problem as him.

Hold your arm out to the side and try and bend your arm back, it physical can't be done, as a result as he bowls it looks like his arm is bent, when in fact it isn't bent.... it is bending backwards which is ok.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
Akhtar has proven time and time again that he has a medical reason for this which makes it appear to be a throw.
Why does physical disability suddenly make it okay? Im speaking more for Murali now.. Im not sure how you classify Shoaibs arm, sounds a bit freaky!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Why does physical disability suddenly make it okay?
Erm, maybe it's because it is an optical illusion, and when Murali or Shoaib bowl, they are actually 100% within the laws of the game?

Of course, if you know better than a team of experts, prove it, but I don't think you do.

MZ_RPFC

Cricket Spectator
Well if they have medical problems maybe they should be playing special cricket for disabled people??

Cloete

International Captain
Rich2001 said:

He showed live on TV when touring with Pakistan last time how he can bend his arm back about 45 degrees from the stright, I bet you none of you can do that unless you have the same problem as him.

Hold your arm out to the side and try and bend your arm back, it physical can't be done, as a result as he bowls it looks like his arm is bent, when in fact it isn't bent.... it is bending backwards which is ok.
um... i can actually do that. apparently i'm double jointed or something. but i've never ben called for chucking because i start with a straight arm and end with a straight arm. it's not that hard to do, it's just he knows he bowls better when he bends it. i can actually bowl liek murali, i can bowl leggies and offies when i have a bent arm. i somewho rotate it an unbelieveable amount. but i never do, because i know it's cheating.

this is really going to stir things but i would say that becasue of racial problems the ICC has been extremely leniant on him because of his skin colour. becasue if he was banned tehre would be an outcry of racism. i know i'm going to get an earful, but that's my opnion and i'm sticking to it.

Akhtar and lee both chuck. But every bowler over 130 k's chucks slightly. so you can't ban them. just both of them were a little bit too blatant earlier on in their careers (e.g kirtley). but they've all cleaned up their actions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cbreban_MZ_RPFC said:
Well if they have medical problems maybe they should be playing special cricket for disabled people??
Seeing as they play full Cricket though they CANNOT continually have their actions called into question though.

Only by banning them for the disability (which would probably infringe various human rights) can the be stopped, not by a witch-hunt.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
um... i can actually do that. apparently i'm double jointed or something. but i've never ben called for chucking because i start with a straight arm and end with a straight arm. it's not that hard to do, it's just he knows he bowls better when he bends it.

Rubbish.

He bowls with his arm bent because he physically cannot straighten it - not because he bowls better that way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
i think your a little obsessed with him chucking, maybe you should have a look at him bowl... i think you will fins that when he releases the ball is arm is dead straight.
It's not just the release point that counts, it's the point from which the arm is perpendicular to the ground and level with the shoulder to the release point that counts.
I don't believe Lee is a chucker but you clearly do not know the rule.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
They both look pretty similar to me... Anyway nobody should be pointing the finger at those two until the "dacoit from Kandy" is sorted out...
Come on! Akhtar and Lee are totally different. Akhtar appears to chuck if you don't look properly because his arm is beyond 180 degrees (Rich says 45 degrees - !!:O - that's a long way, Rich! I'd say about 20 degrees from the time I saw it, when he toured here in 2001) but the angle of the arm doesn't change throughout delivery, and even if it did he wouldn't gain any advantage by it changing and he couldn't stop it changing!
Please will people leave him alone. To quite Kyle Wright: JUST BECAUSE HE CAN DO WHAT OTHER BOWLERS CANNOT DOES NOT MEAN HE IS A CHUCKER.
Rik tells me Lee also has hyper-extension. I have yet to have the opportunity to check-out this, but it's always just seemed to me that he has exactly the problem most bowlers do.
And that problem is simple, and it is where this totally misleading "every bowler chucks slightly" idea comes from. Again, I use the Kyle Wright style: JUST BECAUSE A CERTAIN ANGLE MAKES THE ARM LOOK BENT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SO. If you look hard enough you will discover vaguaries in any action. I know, from personal experiment. I have filmed my arm, extended as straight as it can be, and looked at an angle from every place around. From some angles it looks bent. But it isn't. It is fully straightened, to 180 degrees.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Why does physical disability suddenly make it okay? Im speaking more for Murali now.. Im not sure how you classify Shoaibs arm, sounds a bit freaky!
Originally posted by Cloete
um... i can actually do that. apparently i'm double jointed or something. but i've never ben called for chucking because i start with a straight arm and end with a straight arm. it's not that hard to do, it's just he knows he bowls better when he bends it. i can actually bowl liek murali, i can bowl leggies and offies when i have a bent arm. i somewho rotate it an unbelieveable amount. but i never do, because i know it's cheating.
Here is your answer Langeveldt - Shoaib's arm is classified as a double-joint, a hyper-extension. The arm can be straightened beyond 180 degrees. It is rather freakish if you've never seen it before.
But this is ridiculous - Akhtar "knows he bowls better when he bends it"? Have you actually watched him? Clearly not, because HE DOESN'T BEND IT. It bends slightly backwards (not forwards) as it whizzes through the air. Not between the stipulated points. Anyway, I've said all this in the last post.
As for the bit about you can bowl like Murali; :lol: , yeah, really?:rolleyes: If you bowl as you describe, you don't bowl like Murali. Murali bowls with his arm straight to the same angle between the stipulated points. Just because it's less straight than some doesn't make it illegal:
Originally posted by cbreban_MZ_RPFC
Which answers this. If they're breaking the rules, yes, they should. But they aren't. How stupid can you be?

Please can we leave the chucking issue now?

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I have seen Shoaib when he rolls up his right shirt sleave, and is certainly not normal.

Brian Lara has certainly been in the form of his life last year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really he's been in terrific form since Sri Lanka in Nov\Dec 2001.
He had an ordinary series at home to India then got that nasty illness, but since he got back from that he's not looked back.
Still say Shoaib's had a better year than him, though.