• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Don Bradman vs Sir Gary Sobers

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I don't like the "vs" thread that much but they are quite popular here,
Looking at the Sachin vs Murali thread where a bowler is compared to a batsmen,
I got a bit inspired to open this thread. a great batsmen vs a great all rounder..

Who was better? Sobers or Bradman...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heard many people say that bradman is an all rounder,.. He bats and he bats... Couldn't agree more

Ask yourself what's rarer? A batsman averaging almost a 100 after 20 years of cricket or a great batsman who was a handy bowler... There's your answer

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Heard many people say that bradman is an all rounder,.. He bats and he bats... Couldn't agree more

Ask yourself what's rarer? A batsman averaging almost a 100 after 20 years of cricket or a great batsman who was a handy bowler... There's your answer
Why use Sobers when you have 3 ATG quicks and either Warne or Murali in your ATG team. He would be useless as a bowler.

Batting wise, there isn't any contest.

smash84

The Tiger King
But I am talking about him as a bowler for any given team. He can be used to tie up an end but I don't think he can be used as a frontline bowler. With Bradman you basically get the effectiveness of 2 batsmen

karan316

State Vice-Captain

What you mean? If something is rare, its more in value? Bradman's rare stats make him the best?

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
But I am talking about him as a bowler for any given team. He can be used to tie up an end but I don't think he can be used as a frontline bowler. With Bradman you basically get the effectiveness of 2 batsmen
Yeah, but for that, you would also need the ineffective bowlers of that era bowling to him.

OverratedSanity

What you mean? If something is rare, its more in value? Bradman's rare stats make him the best?
Um, yes? The fact that no one in history averages even 30 runs close to him obviously makes him special. Sobers isn't even unequivocally the best all rounder. There isn't anyone within a million miles of Bradman in his discipline

Yeah, but for that, you would also need the ineffective bowlers of that era bowling to him.
They were probably ineffective because of Bradman. And please stop. This line of argument just goes down a completely illogical route which I'm sure everyone has seen a hundred times before

Last edited:

Burgey

In bowling average Sobers is closer to (quite close) Ishant Sharma than he is to Imran :ph34r:
Sobers would be in an atg team as a batsman anyway, and if he isn't then his bowling would probably get him in if he was on level pegging with another great batsman who didn't roll the arm over, or wasn't as great a fielder.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Comparing Bradman to anyone is stupid because he's a complete anomaly.

watson

Banned
And in terms of batting average, Sobers is closer to Shane Warne than Bradman.
If I remember rightly, Sobers averaged about 73 for the best part of a decade. So for 10 years, comparing Sobers and Bradman would be somewhat similar to comparing Michael Atherton and Len Hutton, or Mike Smith and Walter Hammond (if you want to make such assumptions).

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman is the greatest batsman ever,Sobers the greatest cricketer. Arguably top three batsman, best All Rounder and fifth bowler ever and possibly the greatest fielder to play the game, brilliant slip as well.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Kallis would make a better 5th bowler.

And why is he the best cricketer ever? Bradman is equivalent of 2 ATG batsmen, whereas Sobers is an ATG batsman and Umar Gul.