• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Hashim Amla be among strong contenders for a spot in the AT World XI?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Amla had an amazing run for a few years where he was churning out hundred after hundred no matter where the game was being played, regardless of who was bowling to him. Felt like so many of SA's successful tours from 2008-2014 or so were built on Amla scoring a mountain of runs at the top of the order and Steyn producing a demon spell out of nowhere to blow the opposition away.
It was the Amla and Kallis partnerships that tended to grind the opposition bowlers into the dust.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bruce Mitchell has a case.
The problem both Mitchell and Nourse really have is how poor the rest of the SA team was... its easier to remember great players that where part of winning great test series, but more difficult when its lone hand contributions and as time passes just gets lost in the annuls of history.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem both Mitchell and Nourse really have is how poor the rest of the SA team was... its easier to remember great players that where part of winning great test series, but more difficult when its lone hand contributions and as time passes just gets lost in the annuls of history.
Like Shiv :(

ataraxia

International Coach
The thing is, SA's batting at that time was actually rather good. At least, a 35 average wasn't difficult to achieve. I believe in Nourse/Mitchell's career averages in games SA played were really very high, so I don't buy the matting argument tbh.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
The thing is, SA's batting at that time was actually rather good. At least, a 35 average wasn't difficult to achieve. I believe in Nourse/Mitchell's career averages in games SA played were really very high, so I don't buy the matting argument tbh.
Did they even play (much) on matting wickets? Not sure about dates, but maybe phased out round their time.