• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captain Cook's All Time ODI XI

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
KP is awesome, but If you've picked him INSTEAD of Viv, I disagree with the selection, especially because they were similar kinds if players who loved dominating the opposition, only one did it far better
Yeah gotta agree with this........hard to make any argument for KP over Viv.

I also reckon ODI's are KP's weakest format and it certainly appears that is the one he cares least for. Captain Cook said it was a controversial one........gotta say it's the first pick I really dislike.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Yeah gotta agree with this........hard to make any argument for KP over Viv.
It was a very tough one, although I'll be honest including Viv hadn't occurred to me until I had KP penciled in. I went with my heart rather than my head, KP is the equivalent of Viv in my era. I wasn't born when his career took place so I feel he's off limits. Then again I didn't really see Wasim Akram's career but at least I was born when he played.

I also reckon ODI's are KP's weakest format and it certainly appears that is the one he cares least for. Captain Cook said it was a controversial one........gotta say it's the first pick I really dislike.
This is the first of a couple of selections that people might baulk at. I was surprised that nobody challenged my Amla pick tbh.

watson

Banned
It was a very tough one, although I'll be honest including Viv hadn't occurred to me until I had KP penciled in. I went with my heart rather than my head, KP is the equivalent of Viv in my era. I wasn't born when his career took place so I feel he's off limits. Then again I didn't really see Wasim Akram's career but at least I was born when he played.

This is the first of a couple of selections that people might baulk at. I was surprised that nobody challenged my Amla pick tbh.
Amla is a class act IMO. Great technique and temperment.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I

Sachin Tendulkar
India
1989-2012

RHB LBG

Runs - 18426
Average - 44.83
Strike Rate - 86.23
100s - 49
50s - 96

Wickets - 154
Average - 44.48
Economy - 5.10

I'm not normally a Sachin fanboy but look at that record. It speaks for itself so I won't gush too much. Tendulkar and Amla are two calm heads to start off the innings and I feel they would get the best play out of each other and inspire batsman down the order. Top order runs have never been so essential with the score regularly hitting 300 in ODI and Tendulkar provides consistent runs allowing those who bat below him to be more aggressive. It's and added bonus that he's a skilful and economical leggie and will perform most of the 5th bowlers over with the other part-timers.

I - SR Tendulkar
II - HM Amla
III - ?
IV - KP Pietersen
V - ?
VI - ?
VII - ?
VIII - ?
IX - B Lee
X - W Akram
XI - ?

Twelfth Man - SR Watson

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I

Sachin Tendulkar
India
1989-2012

RHB LBG

Runs - 18426
Average - 44.83
Strike Rate - 86.23
100s - 49
50s - 96

Wickets - 154
Average - 44.48
Economy - 5.10

I'm not normally a Sachin fanboy but look at that record. It speaks for itself so I won't gush too much. Tendulkar and Amla are two calm heads to start off the innings and I feel they would get the best play out of each other and inspire batsman down the order. Top order runs have never been so essential with the score regularly hitting 300 in ODI and Tendulkar provides consistent runs allowing those who bat below him to be more aggressive. It's and added bonus that he's a skilful and economical leggie and will perform most of the 5th bowlers over with the other part-timers.

I - SR Tendulkar
II - HM Amla
III - ?
IV - KP Pietersen
V - ?
VI - ?
VII - ?
VIII - ?
IX - B Lee
X - W Akram
XI - ?

Twelfth Man - SR Watson
Love the team so far. Its really good as well as being exciting. The crowd would definately pay to see this team. Looking forward in seeing who your 3rd bowler is.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
When there are others who've played 300+ games I think it's a bit too early to be putting Amla in with less than 100 games played even. I'm confident he'll end up as a great ODI opener but for now I wouldn't be putting him in. I really like his style but yeah, just not yet.
Tendulkar, I'm totally with you, he's not my favourite bat but in ODI he can tear it apart even more than in his heyday in tests IMO. Great player no doubt.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Would have thought Gilchrist was a shoo in to open and keep wicket in any all time ODI side

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Yeah I don't think Gilly is as much a sure pick in ODI's. There are better options as an opening bat and we never really got to see if he could have been as destructive late as Dhoni is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't think Gilly is as much a sure pick in ODI's. There are better options as an opening bat and we never really got to see if he could have been as destructive late as Dhoni is.
It's a tough one for me. Gilchrist was the better gloveman but Dhoni probably suits my team balance a bit better. I'm going to throw De Villiers into the mix; I honestly don't think his glovework is a downgrade from Dhoni, and he's a better ODI batsman IMO. Both De Villiers and Dhoni will need to keep it up as they get older really.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think there has been a better ODI finisher than Dhoni. Dhoni trumps AB, for me, just on the basis of match winning innings that he has played for India from a tough position .I don't think AB has played nearly as many match winning innings as Dhoni though.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
XI

Muttiah Muralitharan
Sri Lanka
1993-2011

RHB OB

Wickets - 534
Average - 23.08
Economy - 3.93

Murali is a true magician with the cricket ball in his hand. A great tactician with his fast accurate off breaks and doosras. In ODI cricket, he is without equal with an outstanding record for a fast bowler let alone a spinner. I realise there is a sect that feels he is a chucker but I believe that the studies of his action have exonerated him. Murali is the only man I would have as my frontline spinner.

I - SR Tendulkar
II - HM Amla
III - ?
IV - KP Pietersen
V - ?
VI - ?
VII - ?
VIII - ?
IX - B Lee
X - W Akram
XI - M Muralitharan