• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Where did you find that beefy boi? Was it a discussion regarding Hughes place in the South Australian team or his place in the Australian team.
That was my whole point though. He doesn't get comfortable with the conditions and the bowling very often at Test level (at the moment) because he's technically suspect against good bowling, when he is properly settled he's better at actually building an innings and cashing in than anyone else in the country, which is why he's a disproportionately better player at domestic level than at Test level. It's an attribute for every player that exists outside of the quality of the bowling faced.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That was my whole point though. He doesn't get comfortable with the conditions and the bowling very often at Test level (at the moment) because he's technically suspect against good bowling, when he is properly settled he's better at actually building an innings and cashing in than anyone else in the country, which is why he's a disproportionately better player at domestic level than at Test level. It's an attribute for every player that exists outside of the quality of the bowling faced.
I think I just took exception to the "second to none" point as I felt as though it put Hughes a little higher than I thought that he should be regarded. Personally, I'm pretty happy with Michael Clarke's ability to cash in when on song and would rank him higher, although when he plays domestically, I get the feeling that at times he isn't as prepared to cash in as he is in Test Cricket. I do see what you are saying about Hughes and his ability to cash in domestically. Good from you.

adub

International Captain
I'd agree with that about Clarke. In those double hundreds he's scored in recent times and even some of the other tons his batting has reached a plane few ever get to. Just godlike. I don't think Ponting for instance in his pomp ever looked as so able to hit any ball anywhere he liked as Clarke was against India say.

But he wasn't always that good, and he wasn't a patch on Hughes' ability at a similar stage of their development. Clarke always looked pretty even when he was only averaging 30 in the Shield, but it took him quite a while to become a consistent run machine. That's why I've always been pissed with the way Hughes has been treated. Like PEWS says he has a rare ability to make runs once he's set. I'd say his ability to do so is unique in Australia for any player under 30. He needs to be given a good extended run in the Test side (like 20+ tests) without having his place questioned. Give him that and he'll be a 10,000+ run scorer for us.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Over 16.5: Copeland to Khawaja, no run, OUT, looking to hit through the legside from a straight line as it strikes the pad, massive appeal and the umpire is quick to respond!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Over 16.5: Copeland to Khawaja, no run, OUT, looking to hit through the legside from a straight line as it strikes the pad, massive appeal and the umpire is quick to respond!
That's a double taste. Hope the flavours compliment each other N00fers.

adub

International Captain
Over 134.1: Coulter-Nile to Hughes, one run, works off the pads to deep mid wicket, that's his best First Class score

#199% tasty

adub

International Captain
Over 135.5: Agar to Hughes, FOUR, drives away wide of mid wicket and that's his 200 from 391 balls, 525 mins, 25 fours, well played, SA need 16 for first innings points

#tastetaste

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah freezer.

I haven't been out to Bankstown since the Ryobi match.
Had a great pie at the spike bar at the Aus golf club for lunch today with a glass of Sav Blanc. It was such a definitively good pie I've named it the Michael Beer.