• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

adub

International Captain
Disappointed the Blues couldn't hang on to win it, but I really enjoyed the Ryobi format and I'm not a big fan of 50 overs cricket. Really has been a great start to the summer to whet the appetite for the real thing. The 6 back to back Shield games should be fantastic. The BB is too long, and there is the argument that having the Ryobi so far from the summer ODI's is a problem, but overall I think this is a much better schedule than previously.

Wondering which city will host Ryobi next year if they keep the same format.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopes was saying in an interview on ABC radio last night that although the format was good, it might need a re-work next year with the WC being on. He suggested maybe two bloxks of games, with the second being a bit later in the summer so blokes can force their way into the national squad, or alternatively you move the BBL forward to early summer then play the Ryobi after Christmas. Neither is a particularly bad idea imo.

benchmark00

Yeah I like the two blocks idea, best of both worlds in a way.

I don't think you can move the BBL to early summer as administrators are keen for it to coincide with the school holidays.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Glad the SS starts soon. This has been good but the long formats where it's at. Be interesting to see which batsmen can take their form into the SS.

adub

International Captain
Agreed BBL won't move, but the Ryobi proves it's way too long. Should never have been extended to before Christmas. In fact I'd love to see a round of Shield to coincide with the Boxing Day test so we have in form players to pick from right up to Sydney, then have the BBL kick off in the evening after Sydney day 5 or even from Jan 1. They can have the rest of the School Hols with maybe some international t20s interspersed.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopes was saying in an interview on ABC radio last night that although the format was good, it might need a re-work next year with the WC being on. He suggested maybe two bloxks of games, with the second being a bit later in the summer so blokes can force their way into the national squad, or alternatively you move the BBL forward to early summer then play the Ryobi after Christmas. Neither is a particularly bad idea imo.
Would make sense to play at least some of the games at venues that'll actually be in use for the WC, too.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Next summer we are due to host South Africa for 5 ODI's and 3 T20I's in November, then 4 tests against India, then a tri-series with England and India in January/Feb just prior to the World Cup.

With that schedule it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the Ryobi Cup to the same format as this year given it leads into those ODI's against South Africa. One would hope we'll have an idea of the World Cup squad by the tri-series.

Last edited:

Burgey

Having India here for a four test series means our blokes should certainly be full of confidence heading into the World Cup.

benchmark00

Why didn't they play any matches at the second best place to watch cricket, the SCG, anyway?
I can only guess, but I would think that they wouldn't have wanted much traffic on it ahead of the season.

And it would be more expensive to use the SCG than the grade grounds.

benchmark00

Captain SOS

WA SS vs Vic: S.Marsh (c), Agar, Bancroft, Behrendorff, Will Bosisto, Cartwright, Hogan, Jaron Morgan, North, Rimmington, J.Rogers, Whiteman

Riggins

International Captain
"A nasty injury that curtailed his Shield and Ryobi Cup seasons did not stop big-hitting Chris Lynn from winning the prestigious Young Gun Award for BBL|02.

Lynn received a serious groin injury prior to Christmas but was back in time to belt two half-centuries and finish equal fourth in the overall voting for the competition player of the year award."