Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Retro Ashes - from 1990 onwards

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    The Aussie team would thrash the English team even if you do get the selections right (Anderson>Caddick being a glaring one).
    In Australia yes, but in England I don't think we would thrash them at all. We could still win but it would be a great series in England, IMO if you get the selections right.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Atherton should be nowhere near any "best of" teams of any era, age or shape.
    particularly when there's a Mcgrath around...

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumantra View Post
    particularly when there's a Mcgrath around...
    Even if it was only Anthony McGrath charging in, I wouldn't want Athers batting for me.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

For Australia I think Harris has done enough to earn the third paceman spot behind McGrath and Billy, just edging out Sarfraz for mine. Dizzy was a good 'un, but to me he'd be up against McDermott and Billy was a bit better. SCG McGill would be my twelfth man ready to come in and team up with Warne at the SCG or any other pitch that looks like it will turn. The series is just about done and won there before you get to the batting side. Just too much genuine wicket taking ability for the poms to cope with. Langer, Boon, both Waughs and Hussey had ridiculously good records against the poms in the timeframe. Not seeing Ponting or Clarke named looks strange obviously, but they both have had some pretty dire times to go against the times they've been brilliant. The other opener was a tougher call. Matty Elliot's one series was great, but not enough on its own, and Haydos clearly was good, but in the end Slater's 7 tons and 4 50s in just 20 tests get him the nod. With Gilly to follow at 7 the poms are going to be playing for draws from the first morning.

Langer
    Slater
    Boon
    M Waugh
    S Waugh (c)
    Hussey
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Harris
    McDermott
    McGrath
    McGill (12th)

For the Poms the batting seems pretty easy with really only Cook over Gooch and going for Freddie at 6 instead of putting him at 8 and playing Gower the only real points of contention I reckon. (Thorpe over Gower purely because Gower was at the end of his career by 90-91). For the bowling I was sorely tempted to go with Tremlett and/or Bresnan but they haven't played enough. But then to turn that thinking on it's head I couldn't leave Simon Jones out because I think he is the most beautiful pommy bowler I've seen. A real tragedy that he couldn't play more test cricket. Anderson can come straight in for him when he breaks down. Goughy is a must select for me and Gus Fraser edges Broad because he's more consistent. Prior and Stewart is a toss up. Coin came down for Matt.

Vaughan
    Cook
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Thorpe
    Flintoff
    Prior
    Swann
    Jones
    Gough
    Fraser
    Gower (12th)

Australia to win 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    Vaughan
    Cook
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Thorpe
    Flintoff
    Prior
    Swann
    Jones
    Gough
    Fraser
    Gower (12th)

Australia to win 4-0.
    This English batting side looks the strongest to me so far (not sure about the bowling part though)...still a 4-0? (where are you planning the series mate? can't see a 4-0 in English soil)

Have you seen McGrath, Warne, and Harris' records in England? Granted Billy didn't take any wickets in England after 1990, but then slip in say a Reiffel (30 @ 23 in 7 tests in England) and you're good to go. As good as our batting was it was the bowling that won all those series until 05 and had McGrath not stepped on a ball in 05 we would have won that series too.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Some of these England picks are atrocious. Trott opening with no Cook in the side? Run that one by me???

Ramprakash? You what?

And sorry but Anderson gets in ahead of any other seamer.
    Last edited by GIMH; 27-09-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    Adders likes this.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Shocked that no one has picked Mark Ilott.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Caddick over Anderson?
    Stewart over Cook as opener?
    Stewart over Prior as keeper?

Disagree vehemently with all of these. I'm also surprised Broad is being excluded in favor of Fraser... Surely his batting makes him a better pick.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 27-09-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Also Brett Lee over Gillespie? Whaaaa?

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Also Brett Lee over Gillespie? Whaaaa?
    Not much between the bowling skills of Lee and Gillespie. But since Lee was a better hard hitting lower order batsman, and McGrath-Lee-Warne formed the most successful bowling TRIO in cricketing history, then I can't go past Lee;

Lee brought in a much higher match-winning quality and raised the Warne/McGrath win % by well over 10% to an incredible 79%. That is 4 out of 5 Tests. Lee had the best strike rate amongst all three. These three captured over 75% of all team wickets.

Blogs: The best bowling trios in Test cricket | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
    But you do have point re Broad. Therefore Broad replaces Fraser - just. And only because of his batting.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

Agreed on McGrath, Warne and Lee. If the series was played in England then add Alderman to that. AB a glaring omission in those Aussie lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I'm also surprised Broad is being excluded in favor of Fraser... Surely his batting makes him a better pick.
    Yeah, but Broad is a ****.

Seriously though you can make an argument for Broad, his batting is handy and when he gets it right with the ball he can be devastating. But Gus still has a better bowling record against much better batting than what Broad has had to play against. He and Goughy were lion hearted performers for England at a time when they were getting their arse's handed to them. Wouldn't die in ditch arguing for Jones and Fraser over Anderson and Broad, but I think the fact they're bowling to much weaker opposition makes the latter two look better than they actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Agreed on McGrath, Warne and Lee. If the series was played in England then add Alderman to that. AB a glaring omission in those Aussie lineups.
    Very close run thing for mine, but seeing as the qualification is right at the end of his great career and he was batting exclusively 5-6 at that stage I couldn't play him over Tugga or Mr Cricket or consider him at 4 over Junior. Take the qualification period back 5 years though and of course he has to be in the side.

Also Clem only played 4 Ashes tests in 90/91 and apart from an excellent game in Brisbane wasn't much of a threat. Walk up start to any side including the 80s obviously.

Ok, Ok, I’ve taken into account some of the advice polietely offered on here, and I’d just like to make a few points –

A. The selection is based on general quality, rather than performances against Australia alone. I mean, I don’t want Peter Such in there do I? (for Heath)

B. Top Cat – I was of course referring to Phillip Hughes. I assume that number 10 is the natural batting position of Australia’s answer to Brian Lara now?

C. Seriously though, I get some of the points made. So –

1. Gooch
    2. Trescothick
    3. Stewart
    4. Pieterson
    5. Thorpe
    6. Flintoff
    7. Prior +
    8. Broad
    9. Swann
    10. Gough
    11. Anderson

Right, to address some points. Cook – I know he’ll go on to break record and has amassed some big scores; but (and people may disagree) he still feels like a conditions-dependent player. I’m equally unsurprised by him scoring 190 against mediocre opposition on a helpful pitch, or him getting plucked for 3 on a seaming one, whilst making the same errors he was 6 years ago. For me, there’s still a structural weakness in his play. Although, he may change my mind in the up and coming Ashes by scoring a 1000 runs. I still favour Stewart (now as a non-keeping number 3) above Vaughan. Although Strauss at 3 could tempt me to change my mind perhaps. Vaughan was obviously imperious in 02/03, but seldom have I ever seen a more fragile top order batsman when even slightly out of touch.

Anderson is in for Caddick. Although I still shudder about the treatment he received in 06/07, although he wasn’t exactly match fit at the time.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information