• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2013 Short formats

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your example assumes one batsmen performing more consistently well than the others. That batsmen cannot be criticized. Dhawan and Dhoni are consistent run-scorers and Yuvraj won our last match. Therefore, such an example is inappropriate.
Granted it wasn't a good example. But I still wouldn't criticize people scoring 30-40 runs over those getting out cheaply (good ball or not).. I think we have plenty of great examples of how a team wins matches by everyone contributing 30-50 each.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Maxwell played in India so why not Finch. I thought we were just randomly handing out caps now?

Spark

Global Moderator
Granted it wasn't a good example. But I still wouldn't criticize people scoring 30-40 runs over those getting out cheaply (good ball or not).. I think we have plenty of great examples of how a team wins matches by everyone contributing 30-50 each.
Can think of plenty of examples where a team lost because because people only contributed 30-50 each, though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Getting starts and getting out is far more excusable in one day cricket than Test cricket; it's the nature of the game that you look to accelerate when you're set rather than consolidate and take advantage of the fact that you'll be hard to remove. "Tossing away a start" isn't nearly as big a faux pas; you can chase a big score with lots of batsmen getting quick 40-60 scores. The problem here though was that India weren't actually looking to set their innings up like that; they were scoring at below the rate with the plan of accelerating later on with set batsmen.

If Raina had come out really aggressively and scored his 39 off 30 balls then it would've been more excusable to get out how he did, but he went to the trouble of getting himself in and going through the early gears even though he was scoring below the required rate because he knew he could make it up later if he stayed at the crease, only to skip over a few of those gears, play a terrible shot and waste the time he'd soaked up. That's why his dismissal was so bad.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
also back in my day we backed ourselves to nail the first paper and didnt bother trying for the second paper