• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which international cricketer are you most like in whatever grade you play/played

cpr

International Coach
Nick Compton.

Born on the same day. Similar batting styles, and should both be similar distance from the test team.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. my batting technique always reminded my mates of Jonty Rhodes batting, for some reason... Unfortunately the comparison never extended to fielding, but I was always a wicket keeper and a more Dave Richardson style solid one at that than being anything spectacular.

Chubb

International Regular
Mark Richardson. Left handed opener, comically slow scoring. Try 34* off 43 overs chasing 350 or 53 off 45 overs in the follow on of the same game (which we actually drew and almost won, so felt vindicated!). Or 12* off 64 balls chasing 71. Or 27 off 40 overs chasing 200 (we won). All in the last year. Having some technical issues scoring quickly, not to mention having low confidence.

Used to be a bit like Chanderpaul, still slow scoring but could pick up the pace, with a crabby, front-on technique. Straightened up and more orthodox since I moved to NZ. I'm trying to do a job for my team but it would be nice to score a bit quicker, just can't work out how at the moment.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't think of any medium pace bowling all rounder who started off opening the batting and even bowling at one point but eventually ended up not bowling and batting at 8.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Batting

A bit of a Shane Warne, with the bat. Most people try to be like him with the ball, but not me.
As a lower order- type batsman. I can slug it out when the mood takes me, and have a mighty two half centuries to my name. But I also rack up low scores. Last year I recorded knocks of 0,5,0,0,1,0 in 6 consecutive innings. It nearly finished me off. I do crack on with and score quickly though. Sometimes I fell like the harder I try, the worse I get, so now just tend to see ball-hit ball. Batting is frustrating. I worked for a while on just playing as straight as possible, and it kind of worked in terms of occupying the crease, and felling like I was a real batsman for time; but I didn’t score enough runs, for the simple reason that beyond slugging, I don’t really have any shots. If I’m going to knock 12 runs in an innings, I’d rather it be off 10-15 balls than 30.

Bowling

This is a sore spot. Literally and metaphorically. Back in my late teens and early 20s I could really fling it down fast. The one skill I was born with was a great throwing arm, and in my late teens I translated this into a very loose, but very quick, bowling action. Back then I was kinda like a Shaun Tait. When I finally had the courage to bowl in a game, I had batsmen jumping all over the place. When I was 22, I was just as fast (but nowhere near as accurate or good) as a semi-pro in our work’s team.

Only, after a 5 year gap, and having added about 3 stone to my frame, I found the pain of bowling like this unbearable. I get a kind of electric shock type sensation down by arm and into my wrist – it’s excruciating. So I worked one winter on bowling a tidy, upright, medium pace. Completely pedestrian, but neat enough. I would say like Paul Colingwood. You have to be pretty hopeless to get out to it; but I find myself able to frustrate even some good batsman. To be honest, there is something rewarding about bowling 6 or so overs and only going for 10 or 12 runs. But I envy the younger lads charging in, giving 110% every delivery.

Fielding

I’m a pretty competent fielder. A safe catcher, and good throwing arm (before the pain kicks in).

All in all, just a very sub-standard cricketer. I love playing, but fear that soon I will have literally nothing to offer the team.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Richardson. Left handed opener, comically slow scoring. Try 34* off 43 overs chasing 350 or 53 off 45 overs in the follow on of the same game (which we actually drew and almost won, so felt vindicated!). Or 12* off 64 balls chasing 71. Or 27 off 40 overs chasing 200 (we won). All in the last year. Having some technical issues scoring quickly, not to mention having low confidence.

Used to be a bit like Chanderpaul, still slow scoring but could pick up the pace, with a crabby, front-on technique. Straightened up and more orthodox since I moved to NZ. I'm trying to do a job for my team but it would be nice to score a bit quicker, just can't work out how at the moment.
You probably need to add about two scoring shots you feel confident of to your array. For example, I added the back foot drive to my array of shots and it is a shot you can do against a reasonably good delivery that others would leave.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain

This raised a smile. Last year, in a 50 over game, we were chasing 72 - and ended up 68 all out after 46 overs. I came on to bat at 8 thinking if I just hit a couple of boundaries I'd be a hero ... but was bowled clean for 0 second delivery.

It was a dodgy track, but still one grim game of cricket.