• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

salman85

International Debutant
But it's a fair point.Steyn has already reached his peak.I don't think he will get better from here on.He might maintain the same standard give and take a few notches (which is still world class), but he probably won't attain a higher level.The fact that his own standards are so high is a factor too obviously.

Rheinhardt

Cricket Spectator
If he maintains this level it is good enough, he has an efficient bowling action and injuries have not plagued him yet. Unluckily for the rest of the world i think he has a fair bit left in him.

Dissector

International Debutant
Steyn turned 30 barely a few months ago :laugh:
Well yeah I am not suggesting he is going to fall off a cliff, just maybe lose a bit of his edge. The odd injury, the odd off-day especially in the second innings. Even if he is just 10% less effective, that makes a difference to SA especially since they seem to be struggling to produce quality 3rd/4th bowlers.

Rheinhardt

Cricket Spectator
Haven't been watching the series closely but it's an interesting one from the perspective of evaluating SA as a potential long-term no.1 team. They should be able to win the game and draw the series from here on in and certainly if they fail to do so their standing as a true champion team will take a hit.

I have been a bit more skeptical than many here about SA's capacity to be a lasting no.1. Firstly it looks like Kallis is in the decline/retirement phase and that will create a big hole in the team since he contributed so much with bat and ball. Without him at his prime, the SA batting looks merely good rather than excellent and the bowling loses a certain edge.

Secondly SA is struggling to develop a quality test spinner. Perhaps Tahir may develop into one but there is still a long way to go. SA also seems to fall short of producing that third quality pace bowler. Sometimes Morkel looks the part but then he fades away. An attack with Steyn, Philander ,two average bowlers and little or no Kallis looks good rather than great again. And I am still not convinced that Philander will be the kind of ATG bowler who can lead the attack on all surfaces. With Steyn himself on the wrong side of 30, I wouldn't be surprised if this attack and the team in general are already past their peak with the no.1 ranking in jeopardy in a year or two.

Ever heard of Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers? Oh wait AMLA is the best Bat in the world at the moment!!! AB 2nd.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
addu khatmal couldn't hold on to a catch and now the team must pay........

and what is Pakistan's strategy in the 2nd innings? Try to get 100 runs from the top 7 and the last 4 will add another 25?

smash84

The Tiger King
Amla is such a gun. Not so convinced about ABDev yet. As was discussed earlier in this thread AB is a surprising number 2 at this point. Will definitely take Michael Clarke over AB

Heboric

International Debutant
Haven't been watching the series closely but it's an interesting one from the perspective of evaluating SA as a potential long-term no.1 team. They should be able to win the game and draw the series from here on in and certainly if they fail to do so their standing as a true champion team will take a hit.

I have been a bit more skeptical than many here about SA's capacity to be a lasting no.1. Firstly it looks like Kallis is in the decline/retirement phase and that will create a big hole in the team since he contributed so much with bat and ball. Without him at his prime, the SA batting looks merely good rather than excellent and the bowling loses a certain edge.

Secondly SA is struggling to develop a quality test spinner. Perhaps Tahir may develop into one but there is still a long way to go. SA also seems to fall short of producing that third quality pace bowler. Sometimes Morkel looks the part but then he fades away. An attack with Steyn, Philander ,two average bowlers and little or no Kallis looks good rather than great again. And I am still not convinced that Philander will be the kind of ATG bowler who can lead the attack on all surfaces. With Steyn himself on the wrong side of 30, I wouldn't be surprised if this attack and the team in general are already past their peak with the no.1 ranking in jeopardy in a year or two.
Hmmm, barring Kallis who is coming to an end to his career, the rest have a good few years left in them. Plus South Africa do have potential replacements (we will never know how good they are until they play at the top level)

Rheinhardt

Cricket Spectator
I would take a keeper that averages 50 with the gloves on any day. Dont know about you guys. He has consistently averaged above 50 in the last 3 years i think he deserves his 2nd spot.

smash84

The Tiger King
For some reason SA just don't defeat Pakistan narrowly. They really grind us in the dust. Take away the souls of the players and leave them mentally scarred

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa probably slight favorites now :ph34r:

Seiously though I can't even see Pakistan making SA bat again, and that was the only way they could have saved this game

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
The bad players of spin not doing too bad compared to master players of spin... Pakistan REALLY let then selves down with their fielding.

Paul S

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That session pretty much killed Pakistan. They were never in the game after that horrendous batting performance anyway.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Well done smith and ab. that was merciless. makes our first inning in test 1 hurt even more.

139 runs in 26 overs at 5.3 with smith and ab halted by fatigue.

Pakistan should go into this session knowing that it cohld not get worse and maybe hope for an afternoon batting collapse. which is quite possible. maybe hafeez should have stayed anither game.