• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling attacks

Which nation from the top 8 has the worst attack?

• Australia

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • England

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • India

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • New Zealand

• Pakistan

• West Indies

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • South Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Do you even know how the King of Spain is?

And on reflection I'm not commenting on him being the best left-arm-spinner, but am referring to the second half of that sentence.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
West indies by far i would say.
Their attack is full of trundlers and toilers.

Edwards has some pace but hes inexperienced and their mediocrity shows by their constand inability to get the opposition out.

SA are currently TOYING with them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pontingrulz said:
i chose Sri Lanka because their only real world class BOWLER is Vaas. murali doesnt count because he's a chucker
Give it a rest.

SL's attack is much better than eg the West Indies.

anzac

International Debutant
Me thinks the NZ bowling attack may just have got a bit stronger in depth after Butler's performance today.......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He was poor in Bangladesh, but his Away career is actually far in excess of his home (like DLV)

61 in 17 @ 32.7
At home it's 22 in 13 @ 60odd.

That was my point, not building him up, but commenting on how similar that was to Vettori!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My assesment of the strength of the attacks of World Test cricket:
South Africa: Pollock, Ntini, Nel, Kallis, Adams would be my attack. Adams is the only one who can be a threat in any conditions, but the first 4 are all capable of being deadly in swinging, seaming conditions. Adams, of course, hasn't done especially well for a while now.
Australia: McGrath and Gillespie are both brilliant in seaming, swinging conditions. IMO Inness, as you know, could be the best of them all. Warne, when returning, is a genious obviously. As for the rest :lol: . That's all I've got to say about that. Harwood's a decent prospect but ATM far too wayward.
England: Caddick is basically the only decent bowler left with a chance of playing again. Don't think much of any of the supposed "promising" bowlers. Hoggard and Anderson are OK in swinging, seaming conditions but not as good as Caddick, Gough, Cork, White. Johnson could be good but still has only played one proper Test.
India: Kumble and Harbhajan are good in turning conditions, pretty useless elsewhere. Agarkar is brilliant in any conditions on the extremely rare occasion he bowls well. The rest are useless with Srinath gone. Sarandeep could be pretty good, far better than Kartik.
Pakistan: Shoaib is a class apart ATM, Kaneria could be similar, Shabbir has had a terrific start to his career and he's been pretty good in his recent domestic years. I rate him highly, but he's no Wasim or Waqar. Saqlain can be good in turning conditions if he ever gets back in the team.
Sri Lanka: Vaas is a genious, shame he's so spectacularly inconsistent. He could have been the second-best seamer ever IMO. Murali needs no comment. I rate Zoysa, Lokourachchi and Dharmasena highly, but none have especially impressive Test records, and Dharmasena's had countless chances. Zoysa still needs some work, but he was good on the A-tour of Kenya.
West Indies: I really don't think this optimism is very well founded. From what I've seen Edwards is quick, has a good seam and tries hard, but simply isn't accurate enough for Test-cricket ATM. Banks is an average fingerspinner. Taylor doesn't seem especially good, though no, I've never seen him. I never saw Brendon Julian, either. Collymore doesn't seem anything special, either. I thought Sanford was useless on figures and nothing has changed my impression in this Test. Why Drakes continues to gain selection I'll never know. His accuracy is somewhat overrated, it's not international standard. Never seen David Mohammed, but just because he's a wristspinner I'd guess he's the best prospect. Really can't comment on Ravi Rampaul but just from all the rest I'd guess he's not accurate enough. I've seen Tino Best and his bowling is an absolute joke IMO. Jermaine Lawson looks like a good one-day bowler at least, but until he follows that seven-for with some more Test performances of note, I'll reserve praise. Not heard much about him except his pace. Dillon simply isn't Test-class, either.
New Zealand: Vettori is the best fingerspinner in The World IMO, but he's not done much of late. On wickets that don't offer seam, Tuffey, Oram, Bond, Styris and any other seamer are a complete joke. On wickets that do offer seam, they're all pretty good, though not as good as Allott, Nash, Doull and Cairns were.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Sri Lanka: Vaas is a genious, shame he's so spectacularly inconsistent. He could have been the second-best seamer ever IMO.
Let me guess, the best ever is Graeme Smith? :lol:

Richard said:
West Indies: I never saw Brendon Julian, either.
Relevance to the West Indies?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Let me guess, the best ever is Graeme Smith? :lol:
No, Smith is a fingerspinner.:P
Relevance to the West Indies?
I was pointing-out that I've never seen Julian bowl but don't need to to see how rubbish he was.
Surely you could have worked that out?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I was pointing-out that I've never seen Julian bowl but don't need to to see how rubbish he was.
Surely you could have worked that out?
No I wondered the relevance of Brendon Julian to the West Indies Attack - unless he's emigrated, he's no West Indian!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Brendon Julian is not significant at all to the West Indian attack. If you read what I said
Taylor doesn't seem especially good, though no, I've never seen him. I never saw Brendon Julian, either.
properly you would understand that I mentioned him to justify what I said about Taylor.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I actually take back my sentiments regarding England...

[WEST INDIES BASHING MODE]

Never have i seen a worse bowling/fielding performance than todays by the west indies in Durbs'... They were absolutely dire, almost on a par with Bangladesh's recent efforts... Maybe they were distracted by the females in the stands...

They have a spearhead who has played just a handful of FC matches and sprays it around, Dillon and Drakes are not effective on flat pitches. And the rest. Well? Ganga? He doesnt even bowl for his club.. They bowled filth nearly all day, and literally handed SA 100/200 runs in the form of dropped catches and long hops to the likes of Gibbs and Kallis... Even the usually dour Kirsten joined the party... I bet Andre Nel had his tongue out drooling at the thought of batting today! Sadly it was not to be..

Lara aside, if they play like that again, the Zims will be hammering them , and even the Banglas will be looking for test win number one against them... It really felt for the guys who have grown up seeing a great West Indian side.. This one produced the most one sided day of test cricket i have seen...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
West Indies: I really don't think this optimism is very well founded. From what I've seen Edwards is quick, has a good seam and tries hard, but simply isn't accurate enough for Test-cricket ATM. Banks is an average fingerspinner. Taylor doesn't seem especially good, though no, I've never seen him. I never saw Brendon Julian, either. Collymore doesn't seem anything special, either. I thought Sanford was useless on figures and nothing has changed my impression in this Test. Why Drakes continues to gain selection I'll never know. His accuracy is somewhat overrated, it's not international standard. Never seen David Mohammed, but just because he's a wristspinner I'd guess he's the best prospect. Really can't comment on Ravi Rampaul but just from all the rest I'd guess he's not accurate enough. I've seen Tino Best and his bowling is an absolute joke IMO. Jermaine Lawson looks like a good one-day bowler at least, but until he follows that seven-for with some more Test performances of note, I'll reserve praise. Not heard much about him except his pace. Dillon simply isn't Test-class, either.
1/ Edwards - agreed, but I think he should still be playing to get experience.
2/ Banks - you've never seen him!
3/ Taylor - :rolleyes:
4/ Collymore - excellent judgement on one Test match where he was struggling with a hamstring injury (which he's had since the start of the 1st Zim Test) and bowled superbly in the 2nd innings. You never cease to amaze me.
5/ Drakes has been poor in South Africa so far, but he was very solid against Australia earlier this year and bowled superbly in the period before that.
6/ Dave Mohammed - he's certainly talented. Whether that will translate though...
7/ Rampaul - talented and seems good for the future, but not ready yet.
8/ Best - is talented. He has pace and gets bounce but needs alot of work to refine him.
9/ Surely if he's good enough to have the Aussies ducking and weaving for 7 wickets he'd got something. That said, I respect your judgement. At least you're willing to give him an opportunity (unlike Taylor...)
10/ Dillon - it may just be me, but I think he's been our best bowler in South Africa so far. He's been far more consistent than he was against Australia. No, he hasn't taken wickets as such, but conditions have hardly been favourable.

I'm really bewildered as to how you consistently judge players who you haven't seen or have barely seen and yet you praise certain substandard players (who shall remain nameless) whom you have seen.