• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Because he was in the era of Steyn, Morkel and Philander. just 2/3 years older but never quite as good.

Thought he deserved a decent run at it around the time Ntini was finishing up, but then he crocked his back and that was the end of that. Wasn't ever really going to get another look in after Vern burst on the scene, his age and injury history counted very much against him

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just grateful Peter Dutton and the rest of our government is keeping us safe from the threat of female Botswanan cricketers tbh

cnerd123

likes this
So Shameelah Mosweu has gotten her visa now after all, thanks to all the pressure from the public and media, and she will be in Australia in time to join the Fairbreak XI vs Bradman XI game tomorrow :)

Fun fact - two Hong Kong Women's players (Mariko Hill and Kary Chan) will be playing in this game, while one of the umpires (R Venkatesh) is an ICC Level 3 qualified Hong-Kong based umpire - does a lot of the local league games here and runs our umpire training courses. And when he's not umpiring, he's the CEO of Gencor - one of the companies sponsoring the Fairbreak XI. WAFG.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Thought he deserved a decent run at it around the time Ntini was finishing up, but then he crocked his back and that was the end of that. Wasn't ever really going to get another look in after Vern burst on the scene, his age and injury history counted very much against him
South Africa's always had a bunch of Friedel-level players in domestics though. He certainly was good enough to hold his own in Tests but so were a bunch of other guys.

I'm a shill but I reckon Andrew Birch would have at least got a few Tests for any other nation in the world.

Someone like de Wet, while a quality bowler, would always struggle to get regular gametime for SA as we always have really good depth (and quotas combined with very few quality black batsmen meaning that the extra bowling spots are almost always slanted heavily towards players of colour).

That said he'd definitely be getting gametime today lol.

cnerd123

likes this
So Shameelah Mosweu has gotten her visa now after all, thanks to all the pressure from the public and media, and she will be in Australia in time to join the Fairbreak XI vs Bradman XI game tomorrow :)

Fun fact - two Hong Kong Women's players (Mariko Hill and Kary Chan) will be playing in this game, while one of the umpires (R Venkatesh) is an ICC Level 3 qualified Hong-Kong based umpire - does a lot of the local league games here and runs our umpire training courses. And when he's not umpiring, he's the CEO of Gencor - one of the companies sponsoring the Fairbreak XI. WAFG.
This game is live now:
https://fairbreak.ion-sport.com/

In case NZ vs India and BD vs Zim aren't interesting enough

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having decided to give playing away at the end of this season I took my first ever five-for (albeit a very expensive one) in our final match yesterday.

It's a funny game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice one mate! Well done

In unrelated news, how bad is that foxtel ad for the NZ ODI series with Warner in the wig?

Starfighter

I actually measured my pace a few times using photogrammetry. Around 105 km/h. It's less than that now though, probably high nineties. And generally I'm quicker than the other bowlers in out matches (rubbish accuracy). Always shows how big the gap is, that most professional leg break bowlers can easily bowl that quick out the back of the hand.

mr_mister

It's kinda weird isn't it. Like I doubt Shane Warnes arm is thaaat much stronger than the average clubbies arm.

Maybe it's down to doing something 100,000 times, perfecting the mechanical movement etc

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah bowling isn't about strength all that much, neither is batting really. Both are soft of similar to swinging a golf club, steady movement & timing are both key.