• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's because until he recently he sucked at home. They probably could've picked fifteen batsmen to come in at #5 and do better than Rahane had done at home in that time, but he stood up away from home. This is the perfect recipe for overseas fans rating him higher than his neighbourhood (although maybe not quite so much on CW, at least not as distinctly).

Funnily enough they kept picking him at home and then dropped him for the tour of South Africa for Rohit when he failed, though. Crazy times.
He was poor in the last away leg also.

Fortunately for him, he's stepped it up noticeably in 2019. A bit of healthy competition never did anyone any harm.

Daemon

Haha yeah especially since spuds like me went completely OTT in bagging them for picking him ahead of Bhuvi/Yadav.

It only makes up for it if Bumrah doesn't stay broken though.
Nah, it was worth the series win in Australia imo. I have much more confidence we'll have a good crack at beating SA in the next 5 years than Australia again.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That was so annoying. The non-selection of Bhuvi was even worse.

They made it up by discovering Bumrah though.

I think the full credit should be given to the Virat-Shastri and rest of the team management for that one. Its never easy to take decisions like having him play literally no red ball cricket in 2017 and then have him debut in 2018 beginning. That and Pujara's resurgence in Australia are credits for Shastri AFAIC. And given how much flak he gets from most of the Indian cricketing community (including me) its only fair we give him those Ws.

Daemon

I think the full credit should be given to the Virat-Shastri and rest of the team management for that one. Its never easy to take decisions like having him play literally no red ball cricket in 2017 and then have him debut in 2018 beginning. That and Pujara's resurgence in Australia are credits for Shastri AFAIC. And given how much flak he gets from most of the Indian cricketing community (including me) its only fair we give him those Ws.
Yeah for sure.

I get that it's hard to know for sure, but I also credit Kohli in part for the general shift in attitude towards professionalism in terms of training and fitness that Indian cricket has always lacked. He made it "cool" to give a ****, eat right and be fit.

Bharat Arun also seems to have worked wonders with our bowlers though again, it's incredibly difficult to know how much of an impact coaches have directly had.

Daemon

5 months on and I'm still nervous while watching this

Those overthrows have got to be the most important piece of luck to ever happen on a cricket field?

srbhkshk

International Captain
yep between this and the Wimbledon final, its like sports taking some kind of revenge......
I had somehow managed to forget about the Wimbledon, can you please gagf.

Now I am gonna go two more days imagining scenarios in my mind about how federer could have got in just one more ace.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The more I think about it Ishant Sharma's career is practically the story of Indian fast bowling in microcosm. Got off to a bright start but it is somewhat of a false dawn as things tail off pretty badly after that. There are brief moments of serious promise, but they usually don't amount to much longterm, those times are few and far between in amongst plenty of mediocrity. For years people are saying things will click and turn around and for years it doesn't happen, and until then eventually it does, goes to near the top of the world and leaves people wondering why it ever took so long.

Strange strange career that

Daemon

Can't be a coincidence that he started bowling well after giving up his vegetarian diet and putting on some size :ph34r:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Ishant's bulk up, combined with the kind of cricketing-intelligence that can only come from years of experience, helped him blossom relatively late in his career. All just happened to align for him both physically & mentally.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I have never abused anyone as much as Ishant Sharma, except may be the insufferable Sanjay Manjrekar. Always thought he was a hopeless bowler for a large part of his career. Now, in the twilight of his career it is my turn to stand up and say "Hats off Ishant". The most improved bowler ever in Indian history.

OverratedSanity

Rahane always seems to be floating around in the top 20 in the batting rankings. I think he's a class player that gets a lot of unnecessary flack from some people around this neighbourhood.
I think you've hit the nail right on the head bro. At least in my case. A lot of my Rahane-love stems from being in the crowd when he hit his century at the MCG in 2014. Every time I've watched him bat since then he's just looked really, really good in my eyes.
always been a rahane fan
He was brilliant on that entire brutal run of away tours India had from SA in 2013/14 to NZ and England in 2014 to Australia in 2014/15. He was the most consistent performer over that entire strecth against some quality bowling in tough conditions. The hundred on the Lords greentop in particular was astonishing to watch. Its interesting looking back on that period of Rahane's batting to see what's changed, and honestly, there were some signs that there could be some major flaws that needed fixing. That he was smashing Anderson into the pavilion but when he faced Moeen, he was chipping it back to him for an easy caught and bowled was kinda brushed off at the time by me (and many others) as just more of the weird restlessness that typified his batting especially early on in his innings. But the fact that he was genuinely poor against spin became obvious pretty soon. He was probably also a bit fortunate those couple of years in getting through his nervy starts so consistently. Even in his best innings he usually had 1/2 poor shots early on in his knocks which went in the gaps, or fell short of the fielders, and eventually this small dose of luck just kinda began to run out.

Great to see him bat well though,w hen he gets going, he's a treat to watch.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great display of sportsmanship from the King

[video=youtube;KkomglvAiSs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=76&v=KkomglvAiSs&feature=emb_l ogo[/video]