Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree372Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Colin Munro is a testament to the fact domestic performances aren't everything. The fact that Devcich had a better domestic record than most of our other options was just one factor. I also consider the likelihood of the player scoring runs in the conditions of the tour, and what potential they have. Admittedly Devcich is behind a few in the latter, but having the ability to score runs in Indian conditions against bowlers similar to what we will encounter in upcoming tours is highly relevant and is in fact the most verifiable way of testing whether or not they're a good chance of succeeding on the Bangladesh and Sri Lankan tours. Casper the Friendly Ghost isn't eligible to open for us here, we have to pick someone.
    Watling played Malinga pretty well tbh, you should only be picking Devcich if you intend to keep him on for that obvs. Papps made three anchoring OD tons in March, has been in the UK scoring club runs (low standard cricket no doubt, but wasn't getting even more nuggetty in our winter like I feared).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Terrific last 6 or 7 posts by you kippax. You have my BOTM loyalty to the death next year.
    That two minute clip you posted of Devcich (and we need a nickname for him by the way - I am open to any suggestions) shows some "interesting" shots. Somehow the tour coach didn't care and recommended him anyway.

Regarding bhanz's team. If milne can play would prefer him to get a go rather than Southee. Better for his development. And he is more likely to be up for the games while Tim may be a bit meh about the whole series (even though we may lose).
    Last edited by Hurricane; 16-09-2013 at 12:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Watling played Malinga pretty well tbh, you should only be picking Devcich if you intend to keep him on for that obvs. Papps made three anchoring OD tons in March, has been in the UK scoring club runs (low standard cricket no doubt, but wasn't getting even more nuggetty in our winter like I feared).
    Watling should be in the squad now, there's no question about it. I'm not sure his future is in the top order though. I see him more as a number five, and an ideal replacement for someone like Grant Elliot once he inevitably gets dropped.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    will start with the big one. i don't agree at all with devcich. he scored some runs last season but lets not forget 350 was the par 50 overs score and 400 wasn't necessarily a match winning total. michael papps looked like a god and jamie how scored a double hundred. the runs scored were insane. devcich's season doesn't look spectacular at all in context.

as to other untried options, the likes of kitchen belted hundreds in the openers slot, and while hand on heart i couldn't say he's a gun he's a better batsman than devcich. i think bradburn might be the man behind this elevation.

otherwise im mostly happy with the squad. hopefully some one day cricket will encourage rutherford to develop shots all around the wicket so he isn't so easy to cut off in tests.

i agree with mike on watling at five.

my full strength team from that squad would be

latham (wk)
    rutherford
    williamson
    taylor
    elliott
    mccullum
    anderson
    nccullum
    southee
    mills
    mcclenaghan

wanna see some milne with the white ball and in the whites though, and neesham to get a crack in the odi's.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 16-09-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Watling should be in the squad now, there's no question about it. I'm not sure his future is in the top order though. I see him more as a number five, and an ideal replacement for someone like Grant Elliot once he inevitably gets dropped.
    Yeah I agree but at the moment with Elliott far more deserving of a spot than any of the opening options, Watling should be opening at the moment.

Everyone was very quick to say that he shouldn't be opening after a few consecutive failures but he did actually play some really good innings for New Zealand in the top order for a little while, right after his visible improvement as a batsman. He had this series in the West Indies as a middle order batman where he looked good but then he went to Sri Lanka where he played this innings and then this innings in a three match series; they were both top knocks. I realise that Sri Lanka's opening bowlers aren't the litmus test for makeshift openers but neither are Bangladesh's.

I'd be looking at this at a full strength top six:

1. Guptill
    2. Watling
    3. Williamson
    4. Taylor
    5. Elliott
    6. McCullum

Guptill is injured so even if Watling does open you need another one. From a performance perspective, Devcich is actually as good a pick as any right now. Kippax called him meretricious and while that's a great cricket-forum word and while that's a word that could've been used to describe the guy for most of his career, there actually is some substance there for limited overs cricket. His T20 and List A records are both actually pretty decent particularly when used as an opener, he's backed it up for New Zealand A and in tour games and he can also bowl some darts. The problem with Devcich isn't a lack of performance substance; it's the technique and the temperament. I don't think it's a case of the selectors thinking they know better than the game itself and have picked a rough diamond; it's legitimately justifiable based on performance. I definitely wouldn't have picked him but the fact that I probably would've picked Papps says all you need to know about how good the rest of the options are.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

this is going to be a stream of consciousness post as I cbf to structure it.

I agree with munro being picked. I like in odis that he doesn't **** around. He knows he is a dirty slogger and he just gets on with it. I have been sold on him since his 50 in SA - I just wish he could learn to bowl cutters or swing it so he can be good for 4 overs a game. I have always coveted his bowling action.
    If elliot dogs it I wouldn't mind baz going to 5 and munro going to 6. In no way take this an endorsement for him in tests where I would rather debut myself at 40 years old than give him a 2nd run.

The other player that I am chuffed with the selection of is Anderson and I also hope he gets a go ahead of Elliot.

My team

1) Rutherford
    2) latham (because he isn't devcich) and keeper
    3) williamson (his future is to open with two white balls but latham can't bat three so that will have to wait)
    4) Our only batsman
    5) Baz
    6) Munro
    7) Anderson
    8) NMac
    9) Mills (he has become a great servant of NZ cricket)
    10) Milne (promotion to 10 after some gun domestic knocks)
    11) Mitch

Quite a Few M's in that bowling line up.

Munro and Kane to be 6th and 7th bowlers.

I realise that Elliot should be in there but my team is built with building for the next world cup in mind.

Latham ahead of Devcich for the opener's spot, IMO. Especially if Watling is playing and Latham ain't keeping.

My order would be:

Latham
    Watling
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Elliot
    McCullum

Watling is not in the squad - so won't be playing you know that right? Unless you know something I don't.

^it was in response to PEWS full strength top 6, but I suppose he's looking from the selectors' point of view.

Cricket: Revolving door continues for Black Caps... | Stuff.co.nz

McCullum, whose dodgy back and knees restrict his keeping these days, confirmed to coach Mike Hesson he will keep wicket in the ODIs and T20s, with Tom Latham his backup.

Ronchi clearly needs to return to the middle order in limited overs cricket, and Edgar said he'd probably do that for the rest of the NZA tour to try to force his way back in.

"Luke is still in the frame as a very good keeper. We'd like a few more runs from him, obviously, but he's thereabouts."

Central Districts quick Milne played two ODIs in Sri Lanka last year but has struggled to stay on the park. He returned from an England winter in solid shape and bowling at a good clip for NZA, Edgar said, and provides another genuine strike option. Trent Boult is being saved for test cricket, for now.
    Asked if Devcich was well equipped to open at international level, selector and former opener Bruce Edgar said: "We don't know that yet but we have a lot of confidence in him based on what he's done to date.

"He's played a lot of cricket and he's got a good head on him. He's found his game now in the sense of moving from bits and pieces player in the middle to someone who can bat at the top and bat quite aggressively and well. He's also a good player of spin bowling."

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    That two minute clip you posted of Devcich (and we need a nickname for him by the way - I am open to any suggestions) shows some "interesting" shots. Somehow the tour coach didn't care and recommended him anyway.

That's Christopher Mary Kugs?

Still not following, is he on A tour? As a spectator/parent? Or part of ND conspiracy ..,,,

Sometimes you are extremely obscure ...
    Last edited by Immenso; 16-09-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Haha yep, just showing you how they all roll.

I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush David White. He expressed the White House’s displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn’t fully comprehend — but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency Devcich selection.

The aide said that guys like me were ”in what we call the reality-based community,” which he defined as people who ”believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.” I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ”That’s not the way the world really works anymore,” he continued. ”We’re an empire now, [now?] and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”
    hendrix, _Ed_ and Flem274* like this.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Awesome. So

Hesson = Dick Cheney?
    Otago = Halliburton?

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    will start with the big one.
    That your caps-lock key is broken, spikey274*?

Other comment is that I'm wary of encouraging the biffer tendencies in Anderson and perhaps Neesham too, by batting either of them at 7. If Anderson plays I wouldn't mind him at 5 instead (though I know that won't happen). Get him to do some accumulating against spin before the biff begins.

Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information