• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Standout player of 2003??

Who in you're opinion has been the standout international cricketer in 2003?

• Brian Lara

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Matt Hayden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graeme Smith

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Steve Waugh

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Adam Gilchrist

• Andrew Flintoff

• Michael Vaughan

• Herschelle Gibbs

• Makhaya Ntini

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Jason Gillespie

• Muttiah Muralitharan

• Stephen Harmison

• Chris Gayle

• Daryl Tuffey

• Shaun Pollock

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Stuart MacGill (he's actually the top wicket taker :lol:)

• James Anderson

• other(???)

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
But other sides have restricted him by doing it - just because you haven't seen it doesn't change the fact.
No Richard doesn't need to watch cricket. Cricket is only a means of providing printed stats.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
iamdavid said:
oops:saint:

Neil , fix please :)
Kind of... couldn't work out how to delete one of the choices so I just replaced one of them with Steve Harmison.

As for Smith - I'm not overly sure Richard places any emphasis on technique :P Just first-chance averages, and people not being out when good catches are taken.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Flintoff:

tests - 566 runs at 40, 4x50s, 1x100, 19 wickets at 42
ODIs - 595 runs at 47, 6x50s, 30 wickets at 28, econ 3.14!

Must be a contender.

I went for Ntini for the same reasons as Eddie - leading wicket taker this year with 56. All the other contenders were already big names - Lara, Ponting, Murali, etc.

Honorable mentions also to Dravid, Smith and Gibbs...

and Streak:

tests - 317 runs at 39, incl maiden ton, 17 wickets at 38
ODIs - 469 runs at 39, 4x50s, 29 wickets at 26

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shankar said:
Sachin in ODI's ..he's scored @ 67.0 starting from the WC.
Ladies and gentlemen - we have another winner.:D
Seriously, what have ODIs got to do with 'proper' cricket, i.e. test matches? And in those, Sachin has been absolutely conspicuous by his absence.

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, in the absense of all those good Zimbabwean batsman, Streak has really turned into a prospect. He's more of Klusner now, than just a Donald. :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It seems that the West Indian bowlers finally got to see some video tape.

They bowled outside the offstump at Smith and he looked rather streaky. Lara had a couple of unorthodox catching positions behind square on the offside and ultimately Smith got out to one of them. If he really is as poor an offside player as he seems, that's a massive flaw.
Pity they forgot about Herschelle Gibbs!

In 2003, two players stood out for me, not necessarily for the best performances, but the year for me belonged to Makhaya Ntini and Ray Price..

Makhaya has come on so far, My very first day of watching test cricket was at a cold and grey Old Trafford in 1998 with him and Allan Donald bowling in tandem, well the legendary AD retired at the beginning of the year, and although its early days, Makhaya has shown that he is a class performer, and capable of filling the great one's boots.. A great character too, you could almost hear him from my house when the proteas were in Taunton, talk about a wake up call!

Ray Price has struck me as being a very good spinner, not many people know about him, he plays for an unfashionable team, but he is refreshingly agressive for a spin bowler, and set up a couple of near victories for the Zims... I like his style, he is an excellent find.. My vote goes for Makhaya though

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Kind of... couldn't work out how to delete one of the choices so I just replaced one of them with Steve Harmison.
With the absense of AA, he'd have got at least 1 vote had you done it earlier! ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Ray Price has struck me as being a very good spinner, not many people know about him, he plays for an unfashionable team, but he is refreshingly agressive for a spin bowler, and set up a couple of near victories for the Zims... I like his style, he is an excellent find.. My vote goes for Makhaya though
There is a school of thought that puts him asa the number one left arm spinner in the World.

Craig

World Traveller
How so? How does that make him number 1 after some performances against WI and Australia?

He's good and accurate, but time will tell.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
23 wickets in 5 Tests @ 35.39 when his sole aim was to take wickets (with the likes of Pollock around to dry up the runs, he can afford to attack).

How disappointing that must be, 10 wickets in the Lords Test and leading wicket taker in the series.
I dont think he bowled all that well.

He certainly bowled plenty of four balls and was pretty expensive on more then a few occasions. I remember at one point at Lords in the first innings he was going over 6 an over.

Anyway, as per usual most of the England batsmen threw their innings away.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
There is a school of thought that puts him asa the number one left arm spinner in the World.
I agree with that statment on current form anyway.

He really impoved after his tour of Australia were he apparently got a lot of coaching form Greg Mathews and some of the Australian players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Ladies and gentlemen - we have another winner.:D
Seriously, what have ODIs got to do with 'proper' cricket, i.e. test matches? And in those, Sachin has been absolutely conspicuous by his absence.
Yes, but who defines "proper" cricket as First-Class only? What do you oldies find wrong with the one-day game.
I kind of understand it as I have had some resentment for this Twenty20 nonsense, but surely as long as the three games aren't intermixed, there is no problem?
Like I always say, the First-Class and one-day games are different, but in my estimation neither is superior.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No Richard doesn't need to watch cricket. Cricket is only a means of providing printed stats.
Well, that's one of it's purposes, but not the only one.:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
But other sides have restricted him by doing it - just because you haven't seen it doesn't change the fact.
Well which sides do you know have done it then?
david reliably informs us Australia did it in the Second and Third Tests of the 2001\02 series (even then they must have made some pretty extensive studies) but apart from that?
And just because he's failed, remember, doesn't automatically mean they used the strategy of bowling outside off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why just left-arm? Why not simply the best fingerspinner in The World. Why do left and right-arm fingerspinners have to be classed as vastly different.
Personally I don't rate him as good as Vettori, Saqlain and Harbhajan, but in spin-friendly conditions he's not too inferior, as he proved at The SCG and Queen's(?or was it Harare?).
I think people rather overrate his ability to bowl well in non-spin-friendly conditions, just like Harbhajan. People call them "aggressive" and say they can offer a threat in conditions that don't help fingerspin. Well, batsmen might look uncomfortable or unconvincing against them but they still don't get out. Just making a batsman look unconvincing and not getting him out isn't unlucky, as the Flintoff case says.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
I agree with that statment on current form anyway.

He really impoved after his tour of Australia were he apparently got a lot of coaching form Greg Mathews and some of the Australian players.
Believe me, he bowled no better or worse at The SCG than he did in any of his previous 3 Tests (and probably the previous part of his career).
He simply got conditions that helped him, which appeared to be mirrored against West Indies.