• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most under-rated cricketer

FRAZ

International Captain
SAQI

Saqlain Mushtaq .. for me is the best legal spinner in the world . He is not under rated then who else.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: SAQI

FRAZ said:
Saqlain Mushtaq .. for me is the best legal spinner in the world . He is not under rated then who else.
Lol like the use of "legal"... too true..

Saqi would have no problem getting into any other side bar india...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: SAQI

Langeveldt said:
Actually more likely just stirring it since there's far better spin bowlers around, and all of their actions are legal.

Langeveldt said:
And Pakistan...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
VVS Laxman -- he was averaging in the 20's before Calcutta 2001
, now its in the mid 40's I believe ?

A lot of people don't really talk much about him when it comes to world class batsmen.........

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Re: SAQI

marc71178 said:
And Pakistan

Yeah, i cant believe he hasnt been a feature for them recently.. Is that a case of internal politics??? Its sad to see a true champion away from the international game

Liam I agree, Chanders is a very very good batsman who has had to live in Laras shadows for all his career... Not as flamboyant or exciting, but very gritty and effective..

Cloete

International Captain
Damien Martyn

his s/r in ODI's is 80 and he averages 43!! In tests he averages about 47 and s/r of 52, sure it's not that quick but it's a test for crying out loud. alot of the time he secures the innings while the ponting's and hayden's score quick runs. but if someone says he doesn't deserve to be in the ODI team, then that's so wrong it isn't funny.

Martyn has a better average than Ponting (42 for punter) and a higher strike rate (77). his average is better than hayden's (41) and he also has a better strike rate (77 for haydos)

so for those of you who say he doesn't score fast enough, i really don't think it's so necessary that he does in tests. And he actually scores faster than most of the aussie team in ODI's.

Yet everyone still seems to always be calling for his head. I've had enough of it once and for all :!(

for the record his strike rate i only 5 behind ponting's in tests.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Damien Martyn

Yet everyone still seems to always be calling for his head. I've had enough of it once and for all :!(

all of this stuff about martyn a sudden....

do you have a crush:P :P :P

Cloete

International Captain
age_master said:
all of this stuff about martyn a sudden....

do you have a crush:P :P :P

sssshhh.... don't tell anyone ;) :P

nah i just feel he deserves his spot and you're always bagging him. tell you who i think should also be in line for a test spot, bevan. He's absolutely perfect for test cricket but the selectors have just overlooked him. i really think if they bring him back he'll be good.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i gotta admit i thiink Laxman is under rated, he is often placed below his batting partners but the way he batting in Australia atm he can mroe than hold his own

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
I agree one hundred percent.

Three centuries and one of them helped put WI in a good position in St Johns. And there was that thrilling 68-ball 100 in Guyana.

FRAZ

International Captain
I think I am right , correct me if not ...

I think I am right if I say
under rates are
Batsman: Laxman
Off Spinner : Saqlain Mushtaq , (just check his record and his county and first class performances)
All rounder : Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mehmood
Fast Bowler : Dominic Cork
Slogger : Romesh Kalu.. something :D
Wicket keeper : Moin Khan
Slip fielder : Inzi
Captain: Jayasuria
Fielder: Gibbs
Medium Pacer : Kumble :lol:
Coach : Richard pybuss
All time Under rated Batsman : Sanjay Manjrekar
All time under rated Bowler : Malcom Marshall ( Imran , Headly, Botham , Lillee , Holding etc got more media attention )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
gibbsnsmith said:
Err....yeh..although IMHO, Saqlain is a magnificent bowler,who is pretty darn underrated.
For me it is strange that Shoaib Malik has somehow managed to sneak ahead of Saqqie in the pecking-order, but for me he was always overrated, in Tests at any rate. People thought, like they do with Harbhajan, that he could exploit pitches that didn't suit fingerspin, with his doosra. He can't. He's even more dangerous than a normal fingerspinner on a turning wicket but he's not a threat to competant players on good batting pitches.
But I'd still have him a fixture in my Pakistan Test XI, with the like of Umar Gul and Malik strangely in ahead of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: SAQI

Langeveldt said:

Please, please don't tell me that anyone thinks Kaneria, Warne and Kumble's actions are illegal.
Or does anyone seriously believe that Harbhajan and Saqlain are better than them?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
VVS Laxman -- he was averaging in the 20's before Calcutta 2001
, now its in the mid 40's I believe ?

A lot of people don't really talk much about him when it comes to world class batsmen.........
Strange indeed, even stranger that there were still Indians questioning his place in the side in September! He has averaged over 60 since Eden Gardens March 2001.
Another benefactor of the flat wickets and popgun attacks but one who doesn't get very much recognition.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
Yes, he's another one who doesn't get the credit he deserves for his performances in the last couple of years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: SAQI

Langeveldt said:
Yeah, i cant believe he hasnt been a feature for them recently.. Is that a case of internal politics??? Its sad to see a true champion away from the international game
No, just a case of over-emphasis on a short period of no-more-than-slightly substandard form, in one form of the game, and also a determination to pick less experianced players. Saqlain might have been around for ages, but he's old by no means.

Andre

International Regular
I'm suprised Scoott Styris hasn't been mentioned.

Now here, IMO, is one fine cricketer.