Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Alistair Cookes Radio Show 'Letter from America' - anyone know about it here?

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1

    Alistair Cookes Radio Show 'Letter from America' - anyone know about it here?

    Dear Anyone.

    I am from a country where cricket is not perhaps as important as in England, where I now live, and I am having an argument with my friend which you could help resolve, please?

    Before he became England Cricket Captain, didn't Alistair Cooke have a radio programme called 'Letter from America?' I know I am right because I have seen his name in old program listings, yet my friend insists he didn't.

    Can you just tell me I am right so I can keep my friend quiet?

    Yours respectfully

    ulrichburke

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,013
    Yes he did, it started in 1946 apparently, but he must have changed the spelling of his name after he became England captain

  3. #3
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,798
    The title of this thread confuses and enrages me.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,013
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The title of this thread confuses and enrages me.
    Who are you trying to kid?


  5. #5
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,798
    I can't say because they might find out.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,013
    You say that but its such an inane question that nobody would be so daft as to ask it unless they had some special knowledge, so I reckon our German friend knows something Wiki doesn't

  8. #8
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,417
    **** me, just when you think you've seen it all.

  9. #9
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,391
    Didn't he also sing that radio show as The Proclaimers and became two bespectacled Scottish gents to do so? Quite the multi talent, our Al.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,422
    I heard he discovered Australia
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I heard he discovered Australia
    Was that Big Cook or Little Cook?

  12. #12
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,697
    Can't Cook, Won't Cook. What a **** show that was.

  13. #13
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,726
    Is it possible for new members to have to post 10 times or something before they can start a thread?

  14. #14
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,774
    wouldnt prevent sledger threads
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  15. #15
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by ulrichburke View Post
    Dear Anyone.

    I am from a country where cricket is not perhaps as important as in England, where I now live, and I am having an argument with my friend which you could help resolve, please?

    Before he became England Cricket Captain, didn't Alistair Cooke have a radio programme called 'Letter from America?' I know I am right because I have seen his name in old program listings, yet my friend insists he didn't.

    Can you just tell me I am right so I can keep my friend quiet?

    Yours respectfully

    ulrichburke
    I think his radio show was after his successful voyage to discover the great southern continent for the Empire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
  2. A letter
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
  3. The letter was published.
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 03:31 AM
  4. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 14-09-2009, 08:46 AM
  5. An Open Letter to the ICC
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 01:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •