Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Bradman- status as the greatest batsman ever under threat?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

Bradman- status as the greatest batsman ever under threat?

In a nutshell: While Bradman's status as the greatest batsman is increasingly under threat, no one raises an eyebrow at Garry Sobers being called the greatest allrounder.
    That's from Gary (Garry) Sobers' cricinfo profile. WTF?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    We actually have debates about whether Sobers is the greatest allrounder ever (even if people do get a bit touchy about other candidates, most notably a certain South African). No such debates occur with regards to the best batsman ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    The writer might mean that no one attempts to be batsman, finger spinner, wrist spinner and quick bowler whereas plenty try to be the greatest batsman ever - but more likely he or she is a total ****wit

U19 Vice-Captain
    That line was written after the meteoric rise of Ravi Bopara.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Another lame appeal (which ignores all the facts) to a particularly large cricket demographic.

Don't think that Sachin is even the second best, so no one seriously believes he is the best.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Let's not forgot that Bradman scored his runs on only two countries (Australia & England). While I'm sure he would have been fantastic in other places around the world, he never played on spinning wickets in India, pacey pitches in the West Indies or raging seamers in New Zealand. There are many factors that make Bradman the great batsman he is and he is undoubtedly the greatest batsman of his time, but who's to say he wouldn't have been Ricky Ponting like and averaged well below his career average on turning pitches in India.

I'm not saying at all that he shouldn't be rated as the greatest batsman ever, in fact I think he is, but these questions are rarely asked when we do compare him to other players.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    No.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Let's not forgot that Bradman scored his runs on only two countries (Australia & England). While I'm sure he would have been fantastic in other places around the world, he never played on spinning wickets in India, pacey pitches in the West Indies or raging seamers in New Zealand. There are many factors that make Bradman the great batsman he is and he is undoubtedly the greatest batsman of his time, but who's to say he wouldn't have been Ricky Ponting like and averaged well below his career average on turning pitches in India.

I'm not saying at all that he shouldn't be rated as the greatest batsman ever, in fact I think he is, but these questions are rarely asked when we do compare him to other players.
    I don't remember any other great batsman averaging 99.94 in Australia and England. Can't really try and mark him down for that anyway, its not his fault he never played anywhere else.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Just out of interest - has there ever been a Draft with a 'NO TENDULKAR' rule?

Well I actually disagree with the "no Bradman" rules as well.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    If it is upto PEWS, there will be a "no Kallis" rule..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    You cannot have a Kallisball draft without Kallis though. It just doesn't work.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Well.. I think it is fair that Allan Border doesn't remain in contention for the Allan Border Medal..

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Literally 0 educated fans consider Tendulkar the best ever, this fanboy bull**** is blown way out of proportion.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information