• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the most overated player from the subcontinent, ever?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
How's he overrated? He was a great bowler, and he is discussed with other great bowlers.
Great players can still be overrated. I can definitely see where he's coming from. I mean, just look at the Cricinfo all time XI, Wasim was at 8, and Imran didn't make the side. They overrated Akram in that case IMO.

watson

Banned
Zaheer Abbas

Beautiful to watch unless the bowlers were quick and then became one of the few top level test batsmen I have seen consistently back away as he did not fancy it at all
An average of 18.50 over 15 innings against the West Indies would suggest that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Great players can still be overrated. I can definitely see where he's coming from. I mean, just look at the Cricinfo all time XI, Wasim was at 8, and Imran didn't make the side. They overrated Akram in that case IMO.
I'd happily have Wasim in my ATG XI. No worries at all.

Basically any ATG XI could include any 3 of Lillee, Marshall, McGrath, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Lindwall, Trueman, Imran, Davidson etc and be reasonable.

I guess they included Akram as left arm variety...

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Akran is a funny case, if Cricinfo was c alling him the third best fast bowler or best bowling All Rounder then he was over rated, but from reading an interview afterwards, that was probably not the case "There's no point picking four new-ball bowlers if only two can share it", it's possible Akran was selected as he was a wizard with the old ball and would also provide variety with his LH fast bowling and also provide some extra footmarks for Warne and Sobers. In that scenario he isn't over rated but part of a great attack.
Just my take.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Akran is a funny case, if Cricinfo was c alling him the third best fast bowler or best bowling All Rounder then he was over rated, but from reading an interview afterwards, that was probably not the case "There's no point picking four new-ball bowlers if only two can share it", it's possible Akran was selected as he was a wizard with the old ball and would also provide variety with his LH fast bowling and also provide some extra footmarks for Warne and Sobers. In that scenario he isn't over rated but part of a great attack.
Just my take.
Yeah I think more people underrate him than overrate him because they don't consider this.

It's a textbook troll but I genuinely think it's Tendulkar.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great players can still be overrated.
Its amazing that people never understand this.

I agree that Tendulkar is overrated in the strictest definition - i.e. that some think he is a guaranteed #2 of all time or even better than Bradman. That is overrating him. He is still an all time great though.

Just like can say that a great is underrated. E.g. I sometimes think McGrath is underrated (maybe not on here). I believe he is so clearly in the top 10 best cricketers of all time, that anyone who doesn't think that is underrating him.

The colloquial use of overrated/underrated has basically become "I think he's actually ****" or "i think he's actually good"

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Its amazing that people never understand this.

I agree that Tendulkar is overrated in the strictest definition - i.e. that some think he is a guaranteed #2 of all time or even better than Bradman. That is overrating him. He is still an all time great though.

Just like can say that a great is underrated. E.g. I sometimes think McGrath is underrated (maybe not on here). I believe he is so clearly in the top 10 best cricketers of all time, that anyone who doesn't think that is underrating him.

The colloquial use of overrated/underrated has basically become "I think he's actually ****" or "i think he's actually good"
Nice post.

watson

Banned
Just my take.
Good point kyear.

Akram as a change bowler to the likes of Marshall & Lillee seems fair enough to me as someone has to clean up the tail. And he was certainly good at doing that.

watson

Banned
Anil Kumble is over-rated as his greatness relies too heavily on longevity and success on home turf. Chandra and Prasanna are comfortably better and greater Indian spinners IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anil Kumble is over-rated as his greatness relies too heavily on longevity and success on home turf. Chandra and Prasanna are comfortably better and greater Indian spinners IMO.
So if people have Kumble in the same pack as them you believe he is overrated, as you think he's clearly below them?

Interesting viewpoint. Don't mind it, even if I disagree.