• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Blocky

Banned
Astle now with 31 wickets at 33.5, and the potential for more in the second innings. He really has been the only domestic spinner to play a significant role for his side this season.
Some would argue Sodhi taking 5 for 22 would count. I don't.

The reality here is that even with Astle taking an 8fer and holding up an end, neither one of these guys should be on the plane. They're both highly unlikely to add anything to the side - at least Astle is more likely with the bat I guess.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Mostly because Sodhi is allowing the opposition to score quick easy runs at a time period they should be under pressure.... funny how that works where one side constantly scores better than the other despite similar records in domestic.
That is some superb blockying.

On a green wicket, NDs 4 seamers let them down. Verma and Aldridge got driven too often by Bracewell.

Although during the vital partnership Neesham did get tucked into Sodhi as well, although Bracewell didn't. Neesham played him well, nice use of the feet in some of his boundaries.

Blocky

Banned
That is some superb blockying.

On a green wicket, NDs 4 seamers let them down. Verma and Aldridge got driven too often by Bracewell.

Although during the vital partnership Neesham did get tucked into Sodhi as well, although Bracewell didn't. Neesham played him well, nice use of the feet in some of his boundaries.
Verma and Sodhi removed any pressure that would've been on Neesham and Bracewell at the start of their partnership, which was effectively the difference maker for how the match went on in comparison to ND's first innings. The difference? Otago aren't relying on a spin bowler who gifts easy runs and boundaries to the opposition and so far haven't had a weak link like Verma be pounded out of the attack.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you could create a Blocky algorithm, if he ever went on holiday or couldn't post for a time.

It would go on the basis of Sodhi=crap, Wagner=potentially a great and criminally underrated, Santner/young ND player showing little more than anyone else around the country=potentially the next big thing, and update with the relevant figures to keep it current.

Immenso

The difference is al if Otago's seamers have stood up, where as one of NDs went for 5 an over, and wicket less, on a very green day 1 wicket.

Play the ball, not the man.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
I think you could create a Blocky algorithm, if he ever went on holiday or couldn't post for a time.

It would go on the basis of Sodhi=crap, Wagner=potentially a great and criminally underrated, Santner/young ND player showing little more than anyone else around the country=potentially the next big thing, and update with the relevant figures to keep it current.
I only promote Santner because I think he's a better option for ND (my home province) than Sodhi - he's a long long term prospect at being anywhere near NZ selection but then that's exactly how Sodhi should have been viewed too. In A performance alone, Santner has much better bowling statistics than Sodhi does. Funny that. As for Sodhi, you're damn right I'll make an issue out of him, any time someone is being selected to a national side without any history of performance and any performance while he's there and seems to get an open free ticket to continue being in that side, he should be scrutinised severely.

Last edited:

Immenso

Santner doesn't have better bowling stats than Sodhi.

Edit; and to save us time - neither does Jo Walker, and god forbid we have to look outside of Hamilton - neither does Jono Boult.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But if we're comparing apples with apples, Santner's FC numbers are worse than Ish's. And when I say that, I mean bowling and batting.

I love the snot out of the Colins/Mitch/any HP player but I'll just as happily point out if I think they're picked unjustly, as I felt when Lord de Grandhomme played limited overs international cricket on the back of a single (maybe two) 50s in List A/HRV.

But in saying that, 12 overs, 9 maidens, 5-5 on the biggest road in NZ deserves a call-up ASAP. Gun.

Blocky

Banned
Santner doesn't have better bowling stats than Sodhi.

Edit; and to save us time - neither does Jo Walker, and god forbid we have to look outside of Hamilton - neither does Jono Boult.
I assume you can't read - at ND A level, Santner has better stats than Sodhi, Boult has better stats than Santner. At first class level, Boult has better bowling stats than Sodhi.

Blocky

Banned
But if we're comparing apples with apples, Santner's FC numbers are worse than Ish's. And when I say that, I mean bowling and batting.

I love the snot out of the Colins/Mitch/any HP player but I'll just as happily point out if I think they're picked unjustly, as I felt when Lord de Grandhomme played limited overs international cricket on the back of a single (maybe two) 50s in List A/HRV.

But in saying that, 12 overs, 9 maidens, 5-5 on the biggest road in NZ deserves a call-up ASAP. Gun.
Right, but then Santner isn't being selected for higher honors and has only just returned to the side on the strength of his batting - like I say, for ND - the better prospect is Santner, a better batsman who will end up offering more with the ball. And at FC level, Santner simply hasn't bowled as much as Sodhi - one good performance for Santner would pull his average beneath Sodhi's.

Immenso

I assume you can't read - at ND A level, Santner has better stats than Sodhi, Boult has better stats than Santner. At first class level, Boult has better bowling stats than Sodhi.
LOL.
Where do you get this stuff?

According to cricket archive - Sodhi has only ever played one A game in his life.
Played alongside Santer.
Sodhi 3/40. Santner 1/30. Sodhi. Sodhi 47, Santner 18.

Hell, I can't even believe it has got down to A stats. This is weird.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
LOL.
Imma let you finish, but Sodhi gave away 10 more runs than Santner. 10 MORE RUNS! clearly releasing all the pressure and allowing the opposition batsmen to score freely.

/Blocky.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Right, but then Santner isn't being selected for higher honors and has only just returned to the side on the strength of his batting - like I say, for ND - the better prospect is Santner, a better batsman who will end up offering more with the ball. And at FC level, Santner simply hasn't bowled as much as Sodhi - one good performance for Santner would pull his average beneath Sodhi's.
Okay, fair enough. I don't think you have to use Ish as a yardstick, you can simply say you see Santner as ND's long-term front-line spinner who also offers a valuable batting option.

Question: who would you compare Santner to bowling-wise? I've got to presume he's got more tools than *insert generic left-arm dartsman all-rounder here* (ie Woodcock, Worker, Patel A, Hira etc)

Blocky

Banned
LOL.
Where do you get this stuff?

According to cricket archive - Sodhi has only ever played one A game in his life.
Played alongside Santer.

Hell, I can't even believe it has got down to A stats. This is weird.
Ish played several matches for Auckland A before coming down to ND. I use Bill Anderson (ND's main statistician) for my statistics, not a half filled in website or CricHQ.

Blocky

Banned
Okay, fair enough. I don't think you have to use Ish as a yardstick, you can simply say you see Santner as ND's long-term front-line spinner who also offers a valuable batting option.

Question: who would you compare Santner to bowling-wise? I've got to presume he's got more tools than *insert generic left-arm dartsman all-rounder here* (ie Woodcock, Worker, Patel A, Hira etc)
At this point in his career, he hasn't got more tools than -insert generic left arm dartsman-, his tools at this point are control, bounce and on the right surface, quick spin. I'm comparing him against Sodhi - as a pure spin bowler, Jono Boult offers more variation and turn than both of them.

In effect, the crux of the argument is that Sodhi is a horrible selection for New Zealand and shouldn't even represent ND - which is why the "Sodhi vs Santner" comparison is made.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
At this point in his career, he hasn't got more tools than -insert generic left arm dartsman-, his tools at this point are control, bounce and on the right surface, quick spin. I'm comparing him against Sodhi - as a pure spin bowler, Jono Boult offers more variation and turn than both of them.

In effect, the crux of the argument is that Sodhi is a horrible selection for New Zealand and shouldn't even represent ND - which is why the "Sodhi vs Santner" comparison is made.
Okay, bounce would be a tool I would suggest not many left-armers in NZ have, and a good one at that.

I'm just trying to get away from the Santner v Sodhi, as it's largely pointless. Santner isn't being considered as NZ's frontline spinner, and he's not competing for Ish's spot for ND either if you consider he's batting 5-6 and should get plenty of overs as well in the right circumstance - if the powers that be in ND judge him as highly as you do.

Whatever it is, I don't believe we need to make all this posting personal. I certainly don't agree with a lot of what you say, but I certainly see your right to say it - unless you are doing it to rub people up and post silly pictures of dogs looking at computer screens. If it's factually incorrect, then sure. But as I always say, opinions are like newborn babies in China - everyone is allowed one.

Blocky

Banned
Prior to Sodhi coming into the mix, Santner was seen as a safe pair of hands to take over from Vettori as a batting all rounder. You're right in that they're probably not competing for the same spot in the side anymore, but ultimately it stems on from a point I made a while back about Elliott (his brother), Josef and Mitchell having more potential in my view than Sodhi does. I think Sodhi is just a perfect storm of being a leg spinning bowler who had some success in a youth tournament being over-hyped and everyone trying to give him as much chance as possible because he seems to have a great competitive attitude and wants to learn. That'll go so far, but ultimately, I don't see him as being a fierce talent when I compare him to others.

As for your other point, granted, but then look at you and I - we very rarely have personal clashes despite massively differing viewpoints. I'll post silly pictures of dogs when I consider someone to be beyond a discussion on cricket. You don't see me getting sensitive when people start a whole new meme of "Blockying" do you? Because I take it all in good fun and don't see anything personal being involved here, I've never had to walk on so many egg shells around people because where I come from, being called an idiot for saying something stupid is par for the course.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You and I are simply two cricket-loving blokes who often see the landscape differently, but sometimes see it similarly and I enjoy it either way.

It all makes for a better internet experience than the cat videos the significant females in my life send me.