• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's better Dravid or Ponting

Who was better Dravid or Ponting

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doesn't really matter anyway does it? We know Tendulkar is better than them both #trollingIkki #trollingtooextracool

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
...but tendulkar is better than them both...

Ponting, although Dravid has played some of my favourite innings.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The number of people who, given a choice between the two, are going to let Ponting go to the other team - 3 (A troll, Dravid's mom and Dravid's wife) :p

Valer

First Class Debutant
The number of people who, given a choice between the two, are going to let Ponting go to the other team - 3 (A troll, Dravid's mom and Dravid's wife) :p
I'd take Dravid in India, possibly vs England (in England) too.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ultimate respect for Dravid who I loved as a player but it has to be ponting. Dravid never had that fear factor as an opposition fan like Ponting did. Not many players do, only Lara, Ponting and Tendulkar have had it at the level of say a Richards previously so Ponting has to be given the nod over Dravid on that basis alone.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ultimate respect for Dravid who I loved as a player but it has to be ponting. Dravid never had that fear factor as an opposition fan like Ponting did. Not many players do, only Lara, Ponting and Tendulkar have had it at the level of say a Richards previously so Ponting has to be given the nod over Dravid on that basis alone.
yup.

What I wanted to say. For me that intimidation, far less entertainment value is much more important to a team than the accumulators of the game. No disrespect to the Dravid's, Kallis's, Barrington's ect, but the more attacking batsmen not only puts the bolwers on the back foot, but takes pressure off and makes life easier for their team mates as well.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Just so you know, harsh and watson, that wasn't a serious post.

Had to go with Ponting here, just though. Close competition, Dravid is always underrated! Is it just me or did Ponting fade a lot earlier than other ATG's?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
02-07 Ponting was just unreal. Averaged 70+ as whole, and averaged at least 60 against everyone besides England (56) and Sri Lanka (40). I would think that very few batsmen have been quite so good for such an extended period (more than 60 tests).

Dravid was probably more consistent over a longer period of time, but if you're talking purely about the two players in their prime, then Ponting comfortably for me.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The bowling category is mega redundant Coronis because in a self respecting team neither of them are likely to get a bowl unless it's for light comic relief.
Can't believe you took that post seriously, especially given Ponting was actually a much, much better bowler than Dravid.

Dravid the better wicker keeper though; gives him the edge. :ph34r:

watson

Banned
Can't believe you took that post seriously, especially given Ponting was actually a much, much better bowler than Dravid.

Dravid the better wicker keeper though; gives him the edge. :ph34r:
Wasn't aware that Coronis is a whimsical elf, but now duly noted.

burr

State Vice-Captain
lol on the slips comment. you could argue dravid was a better batsman before you could argue he's a better slipper. which he isn't. better. at batting or fielding.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree, Ponting, especially to pace was one of the very best slip fielders and for me clearly ahead of Dravid who was prone to some lapses. Ponting was truely special in the slips.

tooextracool

International Coach
To be honest, I think this point gets overplayed. I don't think I've heard any bowler come out and mention that they were genuinely afraid to bowl to Ponting or that they were intimidated by his awe inspiring test SR of 58 (which was not even close to the best SR in his own team btw). Ponting scored faster than Dravid no doubt, and I'm sure there is a point to be made there, but neither him nor for that matter even Tendulkar and to a lesser extent Lara were really finishing bowling careers, injuring reputations or annihilating bowlers in the manner that Richards did on many occasions. Lara, of course, caused very different problems - he was an absolute nightmare as a captain when it came to setting fields because when he got going he would toy with field settings and be able to pierce even the tiniest gap in the field.

Tendulkar and Lara did get talked about a lot, especially in pre-match situations, though of course a lot of that was because of the fact that both of them were for the majority of their careers the heart and spine of their team's batting. Maybe if they played for a team like Australia they may not have been but then again maybe if Ponting played for an average team he would be hyped up even more. However, if you want players that actually did turn games on their head within a session or two then I would look at Gilchrist or Sehwag and not the above 3.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think with players like Ponting (or Viv or whoever), it's not their career SR of 50something that "scares" other teams, it's the extra gear they can go in to at times.