Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65

Thread: The great paper innings

  1. #16
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,936
    I'm with Brumby on this one. On the Saturday, Hayden really should have at least tried to move things along a bit once he was set and he & Langer had put on a substantial first wicket stand.. We all knew what the weather forecast was and that time would be an issue of Aus were going to win the game. On Sunday, the ball was swinging a lot more and Hoggard was able to take advantage, but Aus should have been much closer to England's score before then. My comment at the time was along the lines of whether Hayden was playing for his side or playing for his place in the side. Possibly harsh, but it was my honest take on his performance.

  2. #17
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,217
    Hussey's 121 v Eng at the oval in 2009. Worst possible outcome. Lost the game and the ashes but Hussey saved his spot with that knock. The quintessential rat of an innings. Saved himself while the ship went down.

  3. #18
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,504
    People talk about Lara's 400 perhaps being selfish, but on paper...I mean, I'm not entirely sure declaring at 300*/when the team was on 600-650 odd was the best path to victory.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  4. #19
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,978
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Hussey's 121 v Eng at the oval in 2009. Worst possible outcome. Lost the game and the ashes but Hussey saved his spot with that knock. The quintessential rat of an innings. Saved himself while the ship went down.
    In that circumstance, what should he have done? Should he have got out for 20, conceded his spot in the side and lost the Ashes anyway? That defeat was brought about by the entire batting line-up spontaneously combusting in the first dig.


  5. #20
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,504
    i don't really think that's a great historical innings tbh.

  6. #21
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,329
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    In that circumstance, what should he have done? Should he have got out for 20, conceded his spot in the side and lost the Ashes anyway? That defeat was brought about by the entire batting line-up spontaneously combusting in the first dig.
    LHC's point about parochialism is well made, but I think one has to acknowledge that Broad bowled an amazing spell in your first knock.

    One that most observers, self included, didn't think he had in him.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  7. #22
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,491
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Tendulkar - 241 not out - Australia v India, 2004

    Rubbish
    Sledger still reeling from that off vindaloo.

  8. #23
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,978
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    LHC's point about parochialism is well made, but I think one has to acknowledge that Broad bowled an amazing spell in your first knock.

    One that most observers, self included, didn't think he had in him.
    Fair enough, I didn't realise that was a Broad spell of epic proportions. 2009 was a while ago and I can't say I saw it live, so going off Cricinfo scorecards (combined with my prevailing cynicism regarding our batting line-up), and my utter hatred for Broad probably combined to make me assume it was a collapse. Which, in turn, basically makes me look like a complete idiot for that post.

    I blame Stuart Broad. WAC.

  9. #24
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    utter hatred for Broad probably combined to make me assume it was a collapse. Which, in turn, basically makes me look like a complete idiot for that post.

    I blame Stuart Broad. WAC.
    And this is why I love him, if Broad never takes another test wicket I will forever be grateful to him for making so many Aussies feel like that

  10. #25
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    In that circumstance, what should he have done? Should he have got out for 20, conceded his spot in the side and lost the Ashes anyway? That defeat was brought about by the entire batting line-up spontaneously combusting in the first dig.
    It showed the man batted for himself and **** the team.

  11. #26
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    And this is why I love him, if Broad never takes another test wicket I will forever be grateful to him for making so many Aussies feel like that
    TBF I'm not one for rampant nationalism when it comes to sport. I don't dislike Broad because I'm Australian and he took poles in that spell, I dislike Broad because he comes across as an absolute **** of a human being. Like Glenn Maxwell

    Although ironically enough I don't mind Graeme Swann, who I'm sure many would consider similar in that respect.

    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    It showed the man batted for himself and **** the team.
    So in that situation, what would have shown him not to be selfish, and not '****ed' the team? 400* off 200 balls to win the match while the rest of the batsmen crumbled around him because Stuart Broad decided he had learned how to bowl that game (apparently).

    Look, you can argue that Hussey was in **** form and deserved to be dropped. You can argue he was a selfish prick if you so desire (I wholeheartedly disagree, but that doesn't magically remove your right to an opinion), but I do not see how him making that ton shows him to be selfish.

    I don't think he ever actively wanted to get dismissed cheaply in the Ashes, only to suddenly decide he would make runs in a lost cause.

  12. #27
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,683
    For the Oval spell, Clarke's shot was a bit gash but the others were decent balls. The one to get Haddin was a beauty. Though trying to flick full outswingers on offstump through midwicket isn't a brilliant ploy.

  13. #28
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post


    So in that situation, what would have shown him not to be selfish, and not '****ed' the team? 400* off 200 balls to win the match while the rest of the batsmen crumbled around him because Stuart Broad decided he had learned how to bowl that game (apparently).

    Look, you can argue that Hussey was in **** form and deserved to be dropped. You can argue he was a selfish prick if you so desire (I wholeheartedly disagree, but that doesn't magically remove your right to an opinion), but I do not see how him making that ton shows him to be selfish.

    I don't think he ever actively wanted to get dismissed cheaply in the Ashes, only to suddenly decide he would make runs in a lost cause.
    Look; it wouldn't have made up for the loss but some compensation if he got a duck and was finally dropped like he should have been ages before.

    The team carried him for the longest time. But when his position was under the gun then whey hey hey! Look at me ton up. Then look at how he repays loyalty with his retirement notice...

    Selfish prick. Paper innings. Which is what this thread is about right? Well this Hussey gem qualifies.

  14. #29
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,963
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    It showed the man batted for himself and **** the team.
    So him failing and getting dropped wouldn't qualify as him being selfish? Well, if performing and saving your career when you probably should've been dropped, then there have been a lot of incredibly selfish players over the years.

    I mean seriously, what did you expect him to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    For the Oval spell, Clarke's shot was a bit gash but the others were decent balls. The one to get Haddin was a beauty. Though trying to flick full outswingers on offstump through midwicket isn't a brilliant ploy.
    Did get drawn into playing away from his body because of the swing, at good pace, as well though. Reminds me of Hussey's dismissal to Bresnan at the MCG in that respect. And of course, with both dismissals the scrutiny and intensity the batting side was under because of the quality of bowling on show was immense.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,683
    It swung but it was already a good foot and a half outside off to begin with. Just leave it alone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. **Official** Club Cricket (8-9)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 742
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 08:38 AM
  2. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •