• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lokomotiv's Proposed Changes to Cricket

Satyanash89

Banned
Me, the term 'good' bit of fielding is subjective. Yeah the bloke hit but having a ping at the stumps shouldn't, in my opinion, be risk-free. Its a nice addition of a touch of luck to the game and I don't think every potentially unfair thing should be legislated out of existence.
But it obviously isn't risk-free... if he misses the stumps it's already potetntially an extra few runs for the batsman through overthrows. In my opinion, If a fielder misses the stumps, run overthrows, fair enough... if he hits, ball is dead. That's how it should be

Another thing about overthrows, why are overthrow runs allocated to the batsman? I don't necessarily want it to be changed, because it would unnecessarily complicate things but I just dont understand the logic.

Satyanash89

Banned
Why are misfields attributed to the batsman?
Because the misfield might have been cause by how well the batsman hit and placed the ball?

Overthrows are caused by what? Quicker runner between the wickets to put pressure on the fielder? Sure but both batsmen are involved there, dont see the logic why its not simply added to the overall score and not just to the batsman's :mellow:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps the batsmen doesn't deserve the runs, but it would become too subjective if the runs weren't just given to the batsmen in the case of overthrows and miss-fields. The easiest thing is just to give the runs to the batsmen and move on with the game.

Satyanash89

Banned
Hang on, by definition of the word misfield, the batsman didnt get the placement right.
Look, my point is, it's difficult to properly define what a misfield is and isn't. Freaks like Ponting, rhodes jump all over the place and manage to half-stop balls which might be out of reach for normal fielders... should those great half-stops be counted as misfields then? :dry:

Not so with overthrows which are pretty clear cut

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the point is that they're both mistakes by fielders. If you're happy for one to be counted for the batsman then why it the other?

Satyanash89

Banned
But the point is that they're both mistakes by fielders. If you're happy for one to be counted for the batsman then why it the other?
Beause misfields may be caused when a batsmen hits the ball well or hits it away from the fielder making it difficult for him to actually get to it and field it... overthrows have nothing to do with a batsman's skill

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I always feel bad for the bowler when he gets charged with overthrows.

One rule that kind of ****s me is how the batting team gets 5 runs for a wide that goes to the boundary. It just doesnt sit right with me that that particular scenario is better for the team compared to hitting a four.

benchmark00

Beause misfields may be caused when a batsmen hits the ball well or hits it away from the fielder making it difficult for him to actually get to it and field it... overthrows have nothing to do with a batsman's skill
Wouldn't there be a skill in hitting the ball in the field of play?

uvelocity

International Coach
Can't believe I forgot to mention the rule that really does need to be implemented: tackling

Hit to cover, not only do you have to beat the throw, but you have to get past the bowler who is within his rights to tackle or shoulder charge the striker.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe I forgot to mention the rule that really does need to be implemented: tackling

Hit to cover, not only do you have to beat the throw, but you have to get past the bowler who is within his rights to tackle or shoulder charge the striker.
No way. Tackling is alright, but shoulder charges are so horrible, ****ing Pritchard.

Top_Cat

You don't think bats try to lure certain fielders into having a ping?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Long-standing opinion of mine I'd like to see it legal to alter the condition of the ball.
It's already legal to do so by shining it; this is apparently ok as it's preserving the shine on the ball (yet preserving the seam by picking it is illegal).

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're not introducing foreign objects to the ball such as razor blades or bottle tops, the fielding side should be able to do what they want to the ball.