Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Lokomotiv's Proposed Changes to Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    And as I've said to you before, spend some time watching and appreciating test cricket before trying to fix it. Then you may be in a position to make comment on it.

This forum is full of enthusiasts, we like the game.....no one here thinks test crickets needs to be sped up, not many think that draws (in most cases) are a problem. Test cricket is a very very unique sport, it is not to everyones liking and I'm sure the majority of the world would not understand at all how people like us can sit for 5 days straight enthralled and when the result does end up a draw declare we've just witnessed one of the greatest sporting events ever..........but we understand, because we appreciate it for what it is.

I've never watched a baseball game, I've never had any inclination to..........but I also have never gone onto a baseball forum telling folk there who have spent years watching and loving their game how it should be more like cricket.
    Thank you. It is true that I do not understand the feeling of Test enthusiasts, but definitely I think that having too many draws is a problem. Perhaps there is no problem in the games like The Ashes, but if there should be an international competition, having too many draws is a big problem.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So what do you think of something like Football then Loko, which has far more draws on average?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokomotiv View Post
    Thank you. It is true that I do not understand the feeling of Test enthusiasts, but definitely I think that having too many draws is a problem. Perhaps there is no problem in the games like The Ashes, but if there should be an international competition, having too many draws is a big problem.
    Not at all. In that case a strong team who can push for a win has excelled more than eceryone else. If everyone draws EVERY game. Well fine, it's a draw.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Steyn 10. Herath 11. Roach

I want West Indies to be competitive again

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    So what do you think of something like Football then Loko, which has far more draws on average?
    Yes I think that one of the biggest problems of Football is the high rate of draws. I can suggest some solutions, but if necessary let's discuss at "General Sports Forum" forum.
    Last edited by Lokomotiv; 07-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiff View Post
    Balls are allowed to bounce twice, but are less obvious if you are wearing trousers.
    I think that balls bouncing over 2 times should be illegal (should be punished like wide-ball).

Yes I think that one of the biggest problems of Football is the high rate of draws. I can suggest some solutions, but if necessary let's discuss at "General Sports Forum" forum.
    Please, please do.

Also maybe you could try your hand at improving rugby league? There's a whole world of opportunities out there. The fans would very much appreciate it.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Should women's cricket and indeed age group cricket be played on a pitch of a different size, or with smaller equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Should women's cricket and indeed age group cricket be played on a pitch of a different size, or with smaller equipment?
    I do not think so. In certain sports, like Volleyball, the height of net is lower in the case of Women's games. However, in Cricket, there is no such necessity in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    If it was up to me then Tests would always be the pinnacle and T20s should remain a side show, but when the general public speaks through ticket sales there's no way you can stop the slide.

Big Bash games have been getting massive attendances, and probably will get ratings when on Channel 10 this season, whereas look at Shield games and Ryobi cup . . . 50 people go if your lucky. Even Tests are getting lower attendance than Big Bash.

There will always be plenty of Hard-core Test fans (at least for the next 20 years, but who knows what the next generation will prefer) but T20's popularity speaks for itself and will become more important while ODI dies and Tests become less important.

I can't see other likely occurrence.
    As and when any T20 game fills the MCG like a boxing day Ashes test does then come and speak to me.

At domestic level then I can see that the Shield and Ryobi Cup can never compete with the Big Bash, the T20 comp is just far more accessible to a whole wider demographic. But I don't believe that is any indication of the future of test cricket..........test venues in England still sell out every day for any opposition and the Ashes is and always will be the biggest cricket event in the world.

To me the shorter formats need test cricket more than it needs them. The IPL, Big Bash......**** even the ODI World Cup is built on the names of test stars.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    As and when any T20 game fills the MCG like a boxing day Ashes test does then come and speak to me.
    At domestic level then I can see that the Shield and Ryobi Cup can never compete with the Big Bash, the T20 comp is just far more accessible to a whole wider demographic. But I don't believe that is any indication of the future of test cricket..........test venues in England still sell out every day for any opposition and the Ashes is and always will be the biggest cricket event in the world.

To me the shorter formats need test cricket more than it needs them. The IPL, Big Bash......**** even the ODI World Cup is built on the names of test stars.
    You picked the one day of the year where Test Cricket really earns its keep. You can't deny that T20 is making a hell of a lot more money than any other form. Hopefully they keep it under wraps and it doesn't become the major form of cricket, but I think it could.

Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Not at all. In that case a strong team who can push for a win has excelled more than eceryone else. If everyone draws EVERY game. Well fine, it's a draw.
    OK, for me Test Cricket is not important. Look at the ICC Rankings. England 38 matches, Zimbabwe 11matches. And there is no international competition like World Cup. So I want let you to enjoy matches like The Ashes. The Ashes will survive at least more 25 years.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    So I want let you to enjoy matches like The Ashes. The Ashes will survive at least more 25 years.
    Phew, thankyou, you are very gracious m'Lord.

For a moment there I thought you were going to tell us you were cancelling them this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Phew, thankyou, you are very gracious m'Lord.

For a moment there I thought you were going to tell us you were cancelling them this decade.
    What do you think about my suggestion, making 1 over 8 balls in Tests?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    What do you think are the advantages of 8 ball overs Loko?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    What do you think are the advantages of 8 ball overs Loko?
    By reducing the number of breaks between overs, the game time can be reduced, and also the number of draws and declarations can be reduced.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread Information