• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The level to which England are not winning this game is ridiculous. You do not chase 350+ with this batting lineup, and especially with Trott having to face 50 balls*

Yes I know SA chased 434 with Kallis but Kallis is Kallis! The fact is they had Dipenaar go out early which was the biggest blessing ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Re: Trott, I'm all for saying how lame some of the criticism of him is just because he's not batting like Adam Gilchrist, and he's a consistent scorer, but let's get real here. They're chasing 360. Stop trying to pretend like not scoring quickly is a badge of honour.

The main reason why the criticism of Trott is over the top is England would have loved to have had him in their team 10-12 years ago. They've become spoilt.

thierry henry

International Coach
Re: Trott, I'm all for saying how lame some of the criticism of him is just because he's not batting like Adam Gilchrist, and he's a consistent scorer, but let's get real here. They're chasing 360. Stop trying to pretend like not scoring quickly is a badge of honour.

The main reason why the criticism of Trott is over the top is England would have loved to have had him in their team 10-12 years ago. They've become spoilt.
I'm not saying not scoring quickly is a badge of honour. I'm saying Trott doesn't score particularly slowly (career s/r of 75) and he isn't scoring slowly now either (45 off 54). If any other player was batting now on 45 off 54 no-one would be already predicting that said player was destroying his team's chances.

Also, it's well known that Trott starts slowly but increases his strike rate to a respectable level if he gets in, so I don't see how it's terrible for a set Trott to be in now...

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One day a bowler is going to get smacked in the head from a batsman's straight drive and die. #morbid

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not saying not scoring quickly is a badge of honour. I'm saying Trott doesn't score particularly slowly (career s/r of 75) and he isn't scoring slowly now either (45 off 54). If any player was batting now on 45 off 54 no-one would be already predicting that said player was destroying his team's chances.
Probably because that player would have once shown that they can switch gears into a destructive mode (Dhoni, Morgan, Ross Taylor etc.) which Trott palpably has never shown.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

The thing with Trott isn't so much that he's incapable of scoring quickly; it's that when every man and his dog can see he needs to up the rate, he doesn't seem bothered by it. It's not that he tries and gets out; he just keeps batting at his own pace. He'd still be well and truly worth his spot in the side if he was just next to useless when chasing > 320, but it's worse than that in that he can be detrimental sometimes.

His overall strike rate doesn't concern me really, especially since I produced stats a while ago showing that he in fact strikes in the 80s when batting first and has his strike rate cut down by playing the anchor role in small chases when England bowl well in the first innings, but his lack of match awareness is occasionally very annoying. This is one of those times.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
What's funny is that Kane Williamson has an almost identical strike rate to Trott and played a very similar innings today. There was a similar incidence in the England tour of NZ where KW and JT played almost identical innings in one of the games. Trott got bagged and KW got praised *shrug*

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Williamson wasn't chasing 360! It is clear to everyone what Trott needs to do here, and he's not doing it.