Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Jesse Ryder Seriously Injured during attack at Christchurch bar

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    I think the most likely is he leaves it all winter and comes back for Wellington next season and sees how he goes from there. Sensible not to rush.

Safe to say he'll get one heck of an ovation when he does walk out to bat again.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I think the most likely is he leaves it all winter and comes back for Wellington next season and sees how he goes from there. Sensible not to rush.

Safe to say he'll get one heck of an ovation when he does walk out to bat again.
    Reports this morning that the CPL are after him for their tournament. Retainers of around $400k...

This one in fact - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10876262
    Last edited by Jezroy; 08-04-2013 at 12:37 PM.

International Vice-Captain Kippax's Avatar
    Don't let Cribb desiccate the forum. More Nuttalls, less Wheelers
    Needs Ronsford Beaton like a hole in the head tbh.

Ronsford BEATON, Jeff Thomson Style Delivery, Beats the Wicket Keeper, 4 BYES - YouTube

Which, luckily enough, he doesn't have.

No Chance Jesse Ryder Will Play IPL | Stuff.co.nz

Cricketer Jesse Ryder's manager has dismissed any prospect of his star charge making a late appearance in the Indian Premier League, although his injuries from an alleged assault are not as serious as first thought.

Defence lawyer Jonathan Eaton claimed in court in Christchurch last week that Ryder did not suffer a fractured skull or a collapsed lung in an altercation outside Aikmans bar in Merivale, Christchurch, on March 28.

Ryder's manager, Aaron Klee, declined to comment on those claims, saying he could not do so because the case was before the courts.

But The Dominion Post understands from other sources that Ryder's injuries, although serious, were not as critical as first reported.

Ryder was heavily concussed, and the damage to his lungs came after he was knocked out, when an involuntary reflex saw him inhale blood and vomit. His skull took a heavy blow but it was later determined there was no fracture.
    Don't squander the gold of your days making a shrine of cricket videos, trying to improve the hopeless failure, giving your life away to the Blockys, the Devciches and the Weerasundaras! Surrender your devout little cricketing heart to the inured agribusinessman.

ENGLAND RAIN RADAR . NZ RAIN RADAR . VIDEO STASH . DOOR TO THE VAULT

State Regular
    It seems such a long time ago. I wish the big fella well in county and 1st class stuff and wish he could play internationals again.

Anyway, the accused have had their day in court

Jesse Ryder assaulted for being 'tight' | Stuff.co.nz

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    So apparently you can almost kill someone and avoid jail.

Disgraceful. "Injury was unexpected and couldn't be predicted" erm moron when you punch someone and they go down on a hard surface...
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    in the future where we're all social justice-y Cribb can ride down the street to pick up some raw milk from Coles on a motorised esky while smoking meth, firing an RPG into the air, and carrying the case of British-import Stella he's polygamously (and privately) married alongside a genderfluid Zambian businessperson and a coke-snorting 18-year-old cyborg girl.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    So apparently you can almost kill someone and avoid jail.

Disgraceful. "Injury was unexpected and couldn't be predicted" erm moron when you punch someone and they go down on a hard surface...
    To be fair it says Ryder was being aggressive too, and the puncher's marriage and business and public reputation have all fallen apart since the incident...throwing him in jail too would be cruel now.

International Coach OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    the puncher's marriage and business and public reputation have all fallen apart since the incident...throwing him in jail too would be cruel now.
    That's no reason to not throw him in jail if he deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!

State Vice-Captain kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Last month in New Zealand a guy was sentenced to two years, four months in prison for selling cannabis. But you can smash someone into a coma and get less of a sentence, in fact no jail time at all? ****ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    That's no reason to not throw him in jail if he deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    Last month in New Zealand a guy was sentenced to two years, four months in prison for selling cannabis. But you can smash someone into a coma and get less of a sentence, in fact no jail time at all? ****ed up.
    Apparently the standard punishment is not jail time for such an incident. I can see the logic. It was a fight, not unprovoked, not a calculated assault...just a heat of the moment, alcohol fueled brawl that ended up with unintended consequences.

I get the feeling the standard punishment would have been harsher if Ryder had not been a celeb - they mentioned all that has happened to the Puncher from the incident to the decision. The judge probably looked at that and felt the guy has suffered more than he would have had he gotten into this drunken fight with an ordinary person. Ryder's life is back on track and he's doing well. Puncher has suffered a lot. Normally they don't throw people in jail for this anyways. Might as well give him the lightest sentence they can and let him move on.

IDK, I feel it's an ok decision.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Disagree with zorax. I think this sentence sends the wrong message to the community and potential offenders.
    Have you seen his interview zorax. He is a bit of a goon.
    "I defend people and dish out payback. It is what I do".
    He said "what I do" not "what I used to do"
    They had him on TV about 6 months ago so we could hear his side of the story and in some ways he made matters worse for himself.
    I got great enjoyment shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    one day NZ will bring chappell to his knees in a puddle of his own tears and you'll see Phlegm on his belly greedily tasting every delicious tear before watching the hope fade from that old ****s eyes.
    Overrated XI Warner, Rutherford, Steve Smith, Rahane, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    What gripes me is not the whole thing, but the final punch seems to have been a sucker punch from behind - something becoming all too common in these kind of fracas, and hits that have killed a number of potential pugilists. I'd have liked to see a much harsher sentence on the guy that threw the sucker punch.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Maybe cricket fans should go down to Hagley oval and riot.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Apparently the standard punishment is not jail time for such an incident. I can see the logic. It was a fight, not unprovoked, not a calculated assault...just a heat of the moment, alcohol fueled brawl that ended up with unintended consequences.

I get the feeling the standard punishment would have been harsher if Ryder had not been a celeb - they mentioned all that has happened to the Puncher from the incident to the decision. The judge probably looked at that and felt the guy has suffered more than he would have had he gotten into this drunken fight with an ordinary person. Ryder's life is back on track and he's doing well. Puncher has suffered a lot. Normally they don't throw people in jail for this anyways. Might as well give him the lightest sentence they can and let him move on.

IDK, I feel it's an ok decision.
    Very interesting, given Russell Packer was given jail time for a very, very similar incident. Different sides of the Tasman, but still a strong comparison.

Refuse to believe the puncher can't walk down the street in Chch, what a load of BS. Christchurch people can't read by and large so there's no issues there. If his relationship and business suffered, so be it. If you kick or punch someone on th egorund, and they get to a stage where they're in a coma - therefore not a million miles away from vegetation or death - you should do jail time. As Russell Packer did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Disagree with zorax. I think this sentence sends the wrong message to the community and potential offenders.
    Have you seen his interview zorax. He is a bit of a goon.
    "I defend people and dish out payback. It is what I do".
    He said "what I do" not "what I used to do"
    They had him on TV about 6 months ago so we could hear his side of the story and in some ways he made matters worse for himself.
    Nah haven't seen the interview, or know anything about the guy tbh. Just going off that article posted.

It's a grey area. Do you treat everyone equally and follow the letter of the law, or do you make exemptions/examples out of certain individuals based on their personality/history?

In a big picture sense - Craig saw Ryder and his nephew get into a fight. He chased after Ryder, punched him in the back of the head, and the (unexpected) consequences of that were very serious.

You look at the year that has passed since - Ryder is back in full health, living a happy life, doing well in County cricket. Craig has lost his marriage, his business, and his reputation.

Now it's the court's turn to make a ruling. The normal ruling -apparently- would not send a man to jail for such an incident:

If the court removed the celebrity status of the victim, it was a very common, run-of-the-mill case, usually met with non-imprisonment sentencing options.
    If I were the judge here, I'd just look back and say that justice seems to have already been served. Give this man the regular sentencing, and let it go.

@Zorax

If the court removed the celebrity status of the victim, it was a very common, run-of-the-mill case, usually met with non-imprisonment sentencing options.
    I could be wrong but the way I read the article I thought that claim was from the defence lawyer.

Another couple of points to respond to your earlier post

1) the fact that was an alcohol induced event doesn't excuse anyone or mitigate it. You must take responsibility for your actions whether sober or not or don't drink in the first place. We can't being having two sets of laws, one for sober people and one for drunk people.

2) Has he suffered enough already - everyone who goes to jail becomes unemployable for a period of time. That is the biggest consequence. The solution is not to go around breaking the law.

Finally this is not a point you raised - but I am dubious about community service hours as a punishment ever since I heard the following story.
    3 team mates of mine ran into trouble with the law when they were teenagers. They were sentenced to 80 hours community service. They had to muck out some stables as the punishment. They turned up the first day and smoked cigarettes for 45 minutes and left and never went back and there were no consequences. Perhaps that is an exception to the rule I don't know but it has made me dubious about that punishment.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread Information