• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Chris Woakes, last seen for Warwickshire against Yorkshire in early August, presumed kidnapped by the England management.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Woakes was in the squad named yesterday. Sounds like he had a quad injury from when he was batting with Bell and didn't quite make it for todays game.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gawd what has happened to our batting, the way it crumbles again and again.

Need to find some batsmen, it really doesn't look like Mesch, Jones, Barrow or Gregory are going to cut it in first-class, long-term. Not saying we should abandon them all, but we need to look at a couple of experienced batsmen for next year.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I suspect Virus will resign for next year? Chawla finding a way to contribute though, albeit it not with the ball...

grecian

Yeah, I suspect Virus will resign for next year? Chawla finding a way to contribute though, albeit it not with the ball...
Well, he is a decent all-rounder in First-class may have played a part in picking him up, vital partnership really. Not much after this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Chawla signing copped a lot of flak on here before he'd even bowled a ball but in his only other county stint, in 2009, he took 36 wickets @ 27 for Sussex, notched up a ton and averaged 29 with the bat. He was only 21 then. He's probably actually regressed as a bowler overall since that point but I don't think the signing was that bad really, other than the fact that Somerset clearly needed another experienced bat more than anything.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's actually scary to think he made his test debut aged 17. I was such a fan after the ODI series against India in 2007.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
#Pietersen'sFault

Speaking of Pietersen, I seem to recall him having quite a lot of trouble with Chawla's googly back in 2007.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You know, I sorta assumed that with Jarvis retiring out of the blue on the eve of a series, that he would actually be playing for Lancashire.

grecian

The Chawla signing copped a lot of flak on here before he'd even bowled a ball but in his only other county stint, in 2009, he took 36 wickets @ 27 for Sussex, notched up a ton and averaged 29 with the bat. He was only 21 then. He's probably actually regressed as a bowler overall since that point but I don't think the signing was that bad really, other than the fact that Somerset clearly needed another experienced bat more than anything.
It was just Spikey wasn't it?

I saw the sense in it, but he hasn't really bowled well so far.

Still earning his corn in this match.

Hoping for rain exclusively In London for the next 4-days, micro-climates FTW.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Third ton of the season for Eckersley pushes him past the grand for the season, at an average of 55. Not bad for a 24-year old keeper, pretty special for one who has to cope with batting for Leicestershire.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, we actually need the points. Guess we've already got a few bonus points that Surrey and Derbyshire won't get if it just pisses it down, but a win will be invaluable for us.

There won't be a result at the Oval anyway. Need Chanderpaul and Amla to respectively bat all day, twice.

Scaly piscine

Top effort from Durham to score over 400 in the day, I suspect Yorkshi*e may have prepared a road so they can escape with a draw - so quick runs are important. Hopefully Durham have enough firepower that they knock them over anyway.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Third ton of the season for Eckersley pushes him past the grand for the season, at an average of 55. Not bad for a 24-year old keeper, pretty special for one who has to cope with batting for Leicestershire.
Yeah, was just a clubbie a couple of years ago. Really pleased for him.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, you've just noticed it more/I've made it more obvious recently. It's more a liking for the players and team as a whole rather than any attachment to the location itself. The fact that Marcus Trescothick was pretty much the only county regular I knew when I first started watching helped.

Theoretically I should support Middlesex, but there were never really enough players for me to attach myself to when it came to getting into county cricket. I've started warming to them more the last couple of years though, and would consider them a clear second county these days.