Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: Finding Seams on Apples - Cricket Web Book **NOW** Available

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,055

    Icon3 Finding Seams on Apples - Cricket Web Book **NOW** Available

    As per our previous announcement, we have undertaken a project in conjuction with Quiller Publishing to release a book named Finding Seams on Apples containing what we consider to be some of the best Cricket Web Forum threads over the years.



    The following threads were chosen to be included as a part of this book and includes posts by 259 members:

    You know you are obsessed with cricket when...
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...dismissed.html
    Your Weirdest Backyard Rule?
    Pick one former player to add to your current Test team
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...odays-era.html
    Cricketers who changed the way the game was played
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...ldnt-make.html
    The Greatest All-Rounder of All Time
    Who is the second great leg spinner ever?

    The book is now available for pre-ordering from the UK through:

    Quiller Publishing
    Amazon
    Telegraph Book Store
    The Book Depository
    Guardian Bookshop
    Foyles
    Hive
    BigHay

    For those of you downunder you can pre-order through one of the following Australian book stores:

    Angus and Robertson
    Booktopia
    Mighty Ape

    For those of you in New Zealand, you can also order online through:

    Mighty Ape

    You can view some sample pages, here, here, here and here.

    Spread the word and buy a copy
    Last edited by James; 15-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.

  2. #2
    International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,002
    Congrats James.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,055
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    As per our previous announcement, we have undertaken a project in conjuction with Quiller Publishing to release a book named Finding Seams on Apples containing what we consider to be some of the best Cricket Web Forum threads over the years.



    The following threads were chosen to be included as a part of this book and includes posts by 259 members:

    You know you are obsessed with cricket when...
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...dismissed.html
    Your Weirdest Backyard Rule?
    Pick one former player to add to your current Test team
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...odays-era.html
    Cricketers who changed the way the game was played
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...ldnt-make.html
    The Greatest All-Rounder of All Time
    Who is the second great leg spinner ever?

    The book is now available for pre-ordering from the UK through:

    Quiller Publishing
    Amazon
    Telegraph Book Store
    The Book Depository
    Guardian Bookshop
    Foyles
    Hive
    BigHay

    For those of you downunder you can pre-order through one of the following Australian book stores:

    Angus and Robertson
    Booktopia
    Mighty Ape

    For those of you in New Zealand, you can also order online through:

    Mighty Ape

    You can view some sample pages, here, here, here and here.

    Spread the word and buy a copy
    Any chance of being able to order in the US?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,055
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Any chance of being able to order in the US?
    Unfortunately not, Finding Seams on Apples: Debates, Discussions and Disputes from Cricket Tragics Worldwide : Paperback : Cricketweb.net : 9781846891823 offers free worldwide delivery though.

  6. #6
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,204
    Awesome James, congrats. How did it come about? Did you approach a publisher or vice versa?

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,055
    Thanks. The publisher approached us with the idea and it just progressed from there really over the past 9 months.

  8. #8
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,204
    Great stuff.

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,140
    Awesome! Can't wait for this!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Awesome! Can't wait for this!
    Order a copy then guys

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,519
    Congratulations James, fantastic stuff!

    Is there any way to find out if we're in the book (other than buying it - which I'll probably do)? Will be gutted if my epic Keith Miller post from the "Greatest all rounder" thread didn't make the cut.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain Meridio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London, West New Zealand
    Posts
    1,312
    Does this mean I can now call myself a published author? (assuming I actually have a post in there)

  13. #13
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,368
    Available on Kindle?
    RIP Phil Hughes. You were destined for cricketing glories!

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,077
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Congratulations James, fantastic stuff!

    Is there any way to find out if we're in the book (other than buying it - which I'll probably do)? Will be gutted if my epic Keith Miller post from the "Greatest all rounder" thread didn't make the cut.
    This one?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Flattery will get you everywhere Ikki!

    There’s no question that in his early career Miller was seen predominantly as a batsman, and an outstanding one at that, nor is there any question that the demands of bowling – and of not taking anything particularly seriously – took the edge off his batting as his career progressed. Phillip Derriman put it best when he noted that “Miller came into big cricket as a brilliant batsman who surprised people by bowling as well as he did, and went out of it as a great fast bowler who could still bat brilliantly but only on occasion.“

    For most people, Miller shone brightest as a batsman in 1945 in the Victory Tests and for the Dominions XI against England – in those six “Tests” he made 654 runs at 72 with four centuries and his batting was by all accounts of absolutely the highest class. Bill O’Reilly was one of many convinced he would go on to become one of Australia’s greatest ever batsmen but as Tiger himself later said: “He never blossomed out as I was certain he would.”

    There are a number of reasons for this, and Bradman can take some credit/blame – he recognised in Miller early on a great natural bowler and the Australian side of the time needed Miller’s bowling more than his batting, so as Nugget’s career progressed bowling assumed the greater significance, even if his back problems meant that he couldn’t bowl the sheer quantity of overs that his captains might have liked. It should be remembered as well that due to the war Miller didn’t play his first Test until the age of 26, and was 27 by the time he played his second. It’s only natural then that he declined after a few years, given by that time he was well into his 30s.

    It was noted too by John Warr among others that Miller’s technique, particularly on wet wickets or those taking spin, could be found wanting – too much pad and not enough bat, and without the patience required in those conditions to build a big score. As Ikki, Matt and several other posters have also correctly pointed out, Miller relished a contest and found it hard to motivate himself to cash in against minnows – it’s no coincidence that all of Miller’s Test centuries came against either England or WI, the two other major powers in world cricket at the time.

    To say that he never performed with both bat and ball at the same time isn’t correct though. He’s one of only two men along with Sobers to score 300 runs and take 20 wickets in the same series more than once, and topped 200 runs/15 wickets in four further series. For a player renowned for flights of erratic behaviour and a devil-may-care attitude, his overall Test career is actually one of admirable consistency. Whether he would have achieved more or less with a different attitude is a moot point, what he did achieve still puts him among a tiny elite.
    It's in there.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,519
    Yep, that one.

    Sold.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cruel jokes on Kamran Akmal
    By Gooch20 in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 16-03-2011, 06:46 AM
  2. Cricket related book names/writers
    By pako007 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29-09-2010, 11:39 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •