• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with Ganguly??

Linda

International Vice-Captain
amits said:
i have said this that if india win 3-0 against aus in aus, then even the most one-eyed aussie fans will say india is the best team.
And I still say Nah, not me. If India win the series, amit, I will not say that they are number 1 (and I am a "one-eyed aussie fan"). Im sure other "one-eyed aussie fans" will agree.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Smith - potentially, IMO, the best batsman since Bradman and Headley
For a start it's extreamly debatable as to who is the second best batsman after Bradman.
There are quite a few batsman going around currently that are better than Smith right now anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are a few batsmen going around ATM who are more proven commodities than Smith. Better is and always will be a MOO - some don't rate Headley as 2nd-best ever. Some don't even rate Bradman as best!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
'Potentially' so am I. :P
In whose opinion? Your Mum and Dad's?
Potential is a MOO and I did say IMO. If you ask me Smith could turn-out the third-best batsman of all-time. If you ask others you will get differing ideas.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adding my two pennyworth....

How can anyone with such a major flaw in his technique be a major anything?

Smith is making the most of what he's got, and there's no way that I will criticise him - but honestly, I have seen little to suggest that a bowler consistently delivering the ball a foot outside off stick to Smith should be discouraged.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, all we can do is wait until someone pops-up and plays against him who's good enough to do that. Like I recently said, it cannot possibly be naivity, every coach and bowler around today must know his faults and flaws. It's simply that few are good enough to exploit it, if it can be exploited. McGrath and Gillespie are just about the only two I can think of who might be able to. The rate they're dropping, they'll be retired by the next Aus-SA series.:)
Anyway, if Smith keeps scoring the runs, as I say, so what about technical faults? You seem to agree.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
It's simply that few are good enough to exploit it, if it can be exploited.
Englands bowlers seemed to do that in the summer after the 1st 2 matches, and no-one would suggest they're in the class of McGrath or Gillespie.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Englands bowlers seemed to do that in the summer after the 1st 2 matches.
Nope - he stood on his stumps, was given lbw incorrectly and Bicknell pinned him plumb twice. The only time he was out in the way advocated - chasing a wide one - was in the 1st over at Headingley (and I was there to watch it).

amits

Banned
anyone who disagree with ganguly doesnt deserve to be called an indian.

ganguly is the indian captain and very few ppl can achevive this, no matter how hard they try. its an insult to ganguly if anybody disagrees with his comments, especially an indian.

we all should learn to respect every players opinions ans especially of the players of their own countries. they play with their sweat and blood to take india to victories. ganguly, has been the best captain ever for india and its a big insult to ganguly and the indian team on a whole if somebody disagrees with ganguly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
amit, come on!
No-one has the right to inequivocal undisputed comment. Nor is placing realism over patriotism a disgrace to nationality.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
amits said:

ganguly is the indian captain and very few ppl can achevive this, no matter how hard they try. its an insult to ganguly if anybody disagrees with his comments, especially an indian.

we all should learn to respect every players opinions ans especially of the players of their own countries. they play with their sweat and blood to take india to victories. ganguly, has been the best captain ever for india and its a big insult to ganguly and the indian team on a whole if somebody disagrees with ganguly.
Would you like me to define the word 'respect' and 'insult'? How can someone not be an Indian if they're opinion differs from that of a sports figure??? What sort of society is it that everyone must agree with the opinions of one man. I dare ask, is Ganguly running a dictatorship?

masterblaster

International Captain
No, Ganguly isn't running a dictatorship...

Amit is just a halfwit.

As an Indian/Australian i find his comments hurtful, juvenile and downright stupid.

Amit, your not in my good books anymore mate.

V Reddy

International Debutant
amits said:

What is unindian about disagreeing with Ganguly? He is just like you and me. It's only a SPORT :rolleyes: . Think about other sports instead. Even without any money , sponsership , media coverage , etc,. they continue to do well. Look at tennis for example , India is in top-15 of Davis Cup all the time without any top-300 player. They deserve more than what these cricketers get. Sport is nothing related with Indianness. What does India get with the cricket team doing well. It is only a form of entertainment. Mate you seem to attach patriotism with Cricket :O .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Nope - he stood on his stumps, was given lbw incorrectly and Bicknell pinned him plumb twice. The only time he was out in the way advocated - chasing a wide one - was in the 1st over at Headingley (and I was there to watch it).
They restricted his scoring by bowling in the place he doesn't score many from.

If others did that as well, he wouldn't make anywhere near the volume of runs (as shown in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Tests, then the subsequent Pakistan series)

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Although i am not sure if it is right to say that india will become number one when they win the series, to some extent as no one has won a series against Australia for quite a long while now and it will be a big achievement.......there confidence will rise when playing against the best which is a huge advantage.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Well it turned out just as i thought

After his team drew the three-day match against Australia 'A' in Hobart on Sunday, Ganguly said his comments were indicative of where India was aiming, not where it would be.

"We're not number one, that's for sure because the number one team is Australia," Ganguly said on Sunday when pressed on the issue.

"I don't know what people have understood when I said we wanted to be at the top because any side should look to be the best. I hope one day we can be number one. I never said that (the series) had the number one tag - I'm not stupid enough to do that and if people read between lines I can't help that."