• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman effect

aussie tragic

International Captain
Larwood in matches without Bradman: 10T, 37 wkts @ 23.18

Larwood in matches with Bradman: 11T, 41 wkts @ 33.02

What's interesting is that he got the same number of wkts per match, but went for 10 more runs per wkt when Bradman played :)

Tate in matches without Bradman: 30T, 127 wkts @ 22.92

Tate in matches with Bradman: 9T, 28 wkts @ 40.82

archie mac

International Coach

What's interesting is that he got the same number of wkts per match, but went for 10 more runs per wkt when Bradman played :)

Ponsford and others felt the Tate of 1928-29 (Bradman debut) was not a patch on the Tate of 1924-25

archie mac

International Coach
Boy that would be handy.
OK, these are for the 1930 series, if this is helpful I could do it for the 1934 and 29-29 series:)

So they go balls - runs - wickets. No idea why he has Wall:wacko: I imagine it's suppose to be Larwood:D

Wall = 147 - 137 - 1

Tate = 461 - 238 - 3

Robins = 87 - 70 - 1

Tyldesley = 189 - 102 - 0

Hammond = 268 - 115 - 0

Geary = 88 - 56 - 0

Peebles = 120 - 72 - 1

Allen = 34 - 34 - 0

White = 86 - 66 - 1

Leyland = 60 - 45 - 0

Wyatt = 17 - 17 - 0

Woolley = 23 - 22 - 0

Total = 1580 - 974 - 7

ave = 139.1

the big bambino

International Captain
Archie: Yes that Wall stat is meant to be Larwood. :)

I actually had the 30 breakdown from the Rosenwater book. I got the bodyline break down from that book too. I got the Bedser and Verity stats from a sources I can't recall but I remember the numbers. Similarly I have his Larwood and tate figures from 28/29 but not his figures v White and Geary. So I'd be grateful if you could give me the 28/29 and 34 stats please. It'd give me more information to test my guesstimate as well as firming up the effect with actual figures.

Aussie tragic: I read an article on cricinfo comparing the av runs per wkt by decade. The 30s compared favourably with evry other decade once you took Bradman's contribution out. I have it somewhere and will post it when I find it.

In the meantime I'll compare the selected post and pre war bowler's stats against other countries. Even then their stats are similar showing that their was little difference btwn the 2 groups.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1934 isn't quite so easy as he does it on a match by match basis - If Archie doesn't come up with the goods before his bedtime I'll do the sums for you when I have a few minutes this afternoon

fredfertang

For 1934 its

Farnes 32-32-1
Geary 28-20-1
Hammond 107-109-1
Verity 356-153-2
Mitchell 74-65-0
Bowes 178-130-2
Clark 95-88-0
Allen 66-67-0
Hopwood 96-58-0
Wyatt 9-12-0
Leyland 26-24-0

the big bambino

International Captain
I am, thougg barely. Off to bed now very contented so thanks again. Will go through my stuff replacing estimated with actual figures in the next few days. Cheers.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Is't that a bit misleading as most of the games he played without Bradman were againts minnows of the era? They were only two good teams and he was on one.

fredfertang

Is't that a bit misleading as most of the games he played without Bradman were againts minnows of the era? They were only two good teams and he was on one.
He played 15 of his 21 Tests against Australia, 10 of them on the roads in Australia that led to their having no quicks of note for 20 years - he played once against a real minnow, New Zealand, he didn't bowl in that game

archie mac

International Coach
1934 isn't quite so easy as he does it on a match by match basis - If Archie doesn't come up with the goods before his bedtime I'll do the sums for you when I have a few minutes this afternoon
I didn't realise that, saved me some work, so thanks for that:D

Just on the Fender books, I have manged to find copies with DJs for all his books except the 1920-21. Have you ever spotted a copy with a DJ?

fredfertang

Just on the Fender books, I have manged to find copies with DJs for all his books except the 1920-21. Have you ever spotted a copy with a DJ?
Yes but sadly I missed the chance to buy it - effectively it's just a plain piece of paper with the same design as the cloth boards

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He played 15 of his 21 Tests against Australia, 10 of them on the roads in Australia that led to their having no quicks of note for 20 years - he played once against a real minnow, New Zealand, he didn't bowl in that game
Thanks. :)