• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I just saw the Hafeez run out now, I just don't see a counter-argument. He looked over his shoulder, then made a dart straight at the wickets!

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Tend to agree with blankwave here, he was trying to protect his wickets, albeit unintentionally and more out of instinct. It can't really be proven either way though.
He still prevented south africa from making a possibly legitimate run out. So the proof is there... He ran in such a line to make a throw directly at the stumps inpossible.

ganeshran

International Debutant
That is clearly out per the new rules. No element of doubt.

but this was a legit strategy before the rule came into place. I remember commentators even praising batsmen for using their presence of mind

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
According to Misbah, Hafeez wasn't looking behind to see where the throw would come from and he ran that way to shorten the distance rather than intentionally come in the way of the throw.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
According to Misbah, Hafeez wasn't looking behind to see where the throw would come from and he ran that way to shorten the distance rather than intentionally come in the way of the throw.
Nonsense. The lines are perpendicular to the pitch. There is no way that running in any line other than parallel to the pitch is shortening the distance - in fact it lengthens it.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Nonsense. The lines are perpendicular to the pitch. There is no way that running in any line other than parallel to the pitch is shortening the distance - in fact it lengthens it.
Ya It was pretty obvious he was running to cover the line of throw.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, in turning to look over his shoulder his path was changed slightly - he did not, as you claim, look over his shoulder and then change course but the 2 things were combined.

akilana

International 12th Man
Even i think he wasnt looking at de villiers. He looked at his left side to see if anybody collects the ball and throws at the non- strikes end because he knew he was so late to take off. When he saw nobody doing that, he was expecting the throw to come from the strikers end. That was when he deviated from his path and accelerated.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So basically all you need to do is run towards the stumps in the first place and you can't be given out if it hits u? Although I think it's good the ICC trying to stop people getting in the way of throws I think it's going to be a terribly difficult rule to enforce as it leaves some grey areas. Needs looking at.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
YK always been one of my fave players but it's time for him to go from the ODI team. I'm hoping after the champions trophy the batting line up is put in place for the World Cup. That means no YK no Misbah and maybe no Malik!!!