• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsmen By Country

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As long as they were eligible for selection for the particular country at any point during their careers I guess

Satyanash89

Banned
Australia: Obvious
England: Len Hutton
West Indies: George Headley
India: Sunil Gavaskar
Pakistan: Javed Miandad
South Africa: Graeme Pollock
Sri Lanka: Aravinda de Silva
New Zealand: Martin Crowe
Would like to hear why some people consider Gavaskar>Tendulkar. Tendulkar has achieved more than Gavaskar did against equally good attacks, for a longer period of time, with far more flair while not compromising on his defense either. I dont think its outrageous to put Gavaskar ahead of him but id genuinely like to hear the reasoning behind it because i personally cant really think of any concrete ones

Similar for de Silva over Sanga as well

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Lara is probably the most underrated All time great ever.

I would put him as the best batsmen of all time after Bradman factoring in the entertainment value and sheer domination of spin. Easily the most exciting batsmen ever. The most frustrating part about Lara is that he actually under achieved, half the time his mind was really not up for it. When on song, I doubt there is a batsmen in history that could match his domination apart from Viv, but Lara was more exciting to watch than Viv.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia - Bradman
England - Hutton
South Africa - Richards
India - Tendulkar
West Indies - Sobers
Pakistan - Miandad
Sri Lanka - Jayawardene
New Zealand - Crowe
Zimbabwe - Flower
Bangladesh - Tamim

Interesting exercise - only really stumbled over South Africa and whether Graeme Pollock was the right choice

Teja.

Global Moderator
Australia - Bradman
England - Hutton
South Africa - Richards
India - Tendulkar
West Indies - Sobers
Pakistan - Miandad
Sri Lanka - Jayawardene
New Zealand - Crowe
Zimbabwe - Flower
Bangladesh - Tamim

Interesting exercise - only really stumbled over South Africa and whether Graeme Pollock was the right choice
I agree with this with the exceptions of Jack Hobbs, Herbie Taylor and Kumar Sangakkara for England, SA and Sri Lanka, respectively.

Also can pick Headley over Sobers on a different day.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with this with the exceptions of Jack Hobbs, Herbie Taylor and George Headley for England, SA and the Windies, respectively.
You think Jayawardene is better than Sangakkara too? It's a bit of a weird one. How come?

Teja.

Global Moderator
You think Jayawardene is better than Sangakkara too? It's a bit of a weird one. How come?
Haha, I independently noticed and edited the minute before this post. :p

I personally don't rate Jayawardene particularly highly actually, in this relative context. Sangakkara conclusively better, for mine.

I actually picked Headley initially as you quoted but 1) Sobers/Headley has always been a bit of a Merchant for me. 2) Quoting Fred's post and making four changes was a bit far. :p

Last edited:

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia- The Don
England- Jack Hobbs (Wally, Hutton run him close)
India- Sachin Tendulkar (Sunny, Dravid are close)
West Indies- Brian Lara (Sorry Viv and sorry Headley)
South Africa- Jacques Kallis
Pakistan- Zaheer Abbas
New Zealand- Martin Crowe
Sri Lanka- Kumar Sangakkara
Zimbabwe- Andy Flower
Bangladesh- Shakib-al Hasan

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew Sanga's stats were better than Jaya's but hadn't realised just how much - just went on instinct and what I've seen which is as an Englishman, so pleased to see that Sanga averages 35 against us and Jaya 60 - that's what convinced me!

Satyanash89

Banned
I knew Sanga's stats were better than Jaya's but hadn't realised just how much - just went on instinct and what I've seen which is as an Englishman, so pleased to see that Sanga averages 35 against us and Jaya 60 - that's what convinced me!
Mahela's as bad as Sehwag when the ball starts to swing though. Sanga over the last few years has played some really great innings overseas too.
Mahela is just about the most overrated batsman of the generation imo... just because he's classical and elegant most people dont criticize his away record as much as they do, say Sehwag's. He's failed repeatedly everywhere except the SC

L Trumper

State Regular
Australia - Bradman
West Indies - Sobers
England - Hobbs (not considering Grace for the list)
South Africa - G Pollock
India - Tendulkar
Pakistan - Miandad
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara
New Zealand - Crowe
Zimbabwe - Flower

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
India -- SRT
WI - Viv
NZ - MCrowe
Aus -- Don