• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cups or Test Series Victories?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Test victories are more meaningful in history IMO. World Cup's are very important, but I would trade one for a 5-0 whitewash of Australia away from home. :D

amits

Banned
world cups :D

to me india winning the 2007 cricket world cup is more important than a 5-0 whitewash of australia in australia (or a 3-0 win over them in this series :D)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tests for me since they are actually a far more meaningful way of comparing 2 sides than a 50 over bash.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Define meaningful.
They test different skills (and some similar ones), but who's to say one set of skills is more important or meaningful than the other?
One form of the game has been around far longer, but that doesn't neccesarily mean anything.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In ODIs, just about any side can beat any other side, depending on luck at key times.

In Tests, the better side wins far more often than not, so it is a much more meaningful method of comparing teams (since it's not random)

anzac

International Debutant
define WC - the final or the series???????

if your talking just the final then the Test series as it's played over a longer period of time

if your talking the whole series in WC then I'd go for that as a result of the variation of opponents & variables such as injury & weather that can have an immediate impact on your success.

While I agree that on any given day that most teams are capable of beating the others, it is the ability to put this together thru the knockout phase that is so important.

:)

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
amits said:
world cups :D

to me india winning the 2007 cricket world cup is more important than a 5-0 whitewash of australia in australia (or a 3-0 win over them in this series :D)

India might win the the WC '07, but they simplay can't beat Aus 3-0 in Aus (something they were not even able to do it on their own back yard).

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Id rather SA won the world cup than whitewashed Australia...

Like either will happen though :(
You would think South Africa's bad fortune will turn around in the WC.

I'm surprised to be honest they havent won it. They do or have the players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For mine South Africa should have won WC92, WC96 and definately WC99.
WC2003 was a farce in more ways than twenty, though; SA's ****-up was just one of them.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
In ODIs, just about any side can beat any other side, depending on luck at key times.

In Tests, the better side wins far more often than not, so it is a much more meaningful method of comparing teams (since it's not random)
So that's why Bangladesh have lost their last 40-odd ODIs, then?
Seriously, though, in ODIs the better side wins more often than not; in Tests the better side wins more often than not but even more so.
ODIs aren't, by any streatch of the imagination, random, but they're not quite as definitive as Tests. Still, however, equal in my estimation.
If you offer me the chance to watch a good Test or a good ODI I really wouldn't mind at all, though with a Test you obviously get more to watch.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
For mine South Africa should have won WC92, WC96 and definately WC2003.
WC2003 was a farce in more ways than twenty, though; SA's ****-up was just one of them.
What about 1999?

What on earth would make you think they would win WC 2003?? The only reason they even had a shot was because the WI v Bangladesh game was rained out! They were distinctly substandard against West Indies (bar Klusener) and were comprehensively beaten by New Zealand. I would definitely have to disagree. Had South Africa made the second round it would have been due to good luck for them and the reverse for WI.

Looking at the inconsistency with which they played and that Donald had clearly 'jumped the shark' I think they would have been lucky to make the semi-finals.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What about 1999?

What on earth would make you think they would win WC 2003?? The only reason they even had a shot was because the WI v Bangladesh game was rained out! They were distinctly substandard against West Indies (bar Klusener) and were comprehensively beaten by New Zealand. I would definitely have to disagree. Had South Africa made the second round it would have been due to good luck for them and the reverse for WI.

Looking at the inconsistency with which they played and that Donald had clearly 'jumped the shark' I think they would have been lucky to make the semi-finals.
I have confused you with a typo - the first WC2003 was meant to be WC99. Shortly to be corrected.