• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia u-19 squad for World Cup

Salamuddin

International Debutant
These are the guys to defend the crown.....

Tim Paine (Captain) Tasmania RHB, WKT
Ahilen Beadle New South Wales LHB, SLA
Scott Coyte New South Wales LHB, RMF
Adam Crosthwaite Victoria RHB, WKT
Theo Doropoulos Western Australia RHB, RM
Callum Ferguson South Australia RHB, RM
Moises Henriques New South Wales RHB, RMF
Cameron Huckett Victoria RHB, RMF
Josh Mangan Victoria RHB, LB
Stephen O'Keefe New South Wales RHB, SLA
Lachlan Oswald-Jacobs South Australia RHB, RM
Gary Putland South Australia RHB, LMF
Ken Skewes Northern Territory RHB, LM
Shane Wallace New South Wales RHB, OB

They'll get stiff competition for the title from the Imraan Khan led South africans and the Rayudu led Indians.

I don't know a great deal about some of the other youth teams
so I can't comment on the possible strength of their challenges.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Should be a good U19 World Cup

As far as NZ has been concerned, there have been some huge scores down at Christchurch for the Provincial U19 Championship. The top players will obviously be selected for NZ at the completion.

A guy I used to play with, Peter Carey is captaining Canterbury so hopefully he makes it in.

amits

Banned
i think that this will be a very interseting world cup. in india, we might also get live coverage of it. (atleast the indian matches, semis and the finals) should be covered life out here.

i expect india u-19s to win it. ind u-19s should be the favs and expect some competition from pak, sl and nep. ind u-19s just won the u-19 asia cup and our u-19s beat nep u-19s 3-0 as well. pak u-15 won the 2002 u-15 asia cup and their u-19s beat sl 4-1 as well. sl u-19s r also quite good. they beat ind and pak in the league stages of the u-19 asia cup. nep u-19s beat pak u-19s in the previous world cup. great thing for a team aiming to qualify for the 2007 wcs. they also gave ind u-19s a fight in 2 of the 3 matches earlier this year.

out of non-asian teams, aus u-19s will be one of the favs.

i expect a thrilling ind-pak final with aus and sl being the semi-finalists, but still i dont know anything about the non-asian teams.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Going by the last youth world cup on the subcontinent, Amits probably feels the subcontinental sides deserve to be favoured more than the non-subcontinental ones.

amits

Banned
jamesryfler said:
Going by the last youth world cup on the subcontinent, Amits probably feels the subcontinental sides deserve to be favoured more than the non-subcontinental ones.
and thats why i have ind, pak, sl and nepal, alongwith australia as the favs for this tournament.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Quite a strong side from Australia, but not in the same bracket as last years team which contained some genuine freaks.

The biggest talent from this lot is definetaly Moises Henriques, but don't expect him to do to an overly huge lot in this World Cup as he is only 16.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
The pace attack doesn't seem to have any genuine quicks though.
Just like a spinner, if you don't have any quick bowlers who are any good, don't pick any.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
The quick bowling will be led by Coyte, with Putland and Huckett, and Henriques getting a go to see what he do at some point in the tournament.

That is a pretty quality bowling attack, although they could've done with someone like Aaron Bird from last years team.

Although I've never seen him, I've heard Josh Mangan is a gun spinner.

amits

Banned
marc71178 said:
Nepal?

They may be a decent side, but to put them in a favourite bracket is very very odd.
in the u-15 asia cup 2002, they lost to strong teams like ind and pak by 27 runs and also beat bangladesh then. they also beat pak u-19 last time.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Crosthwaite certainly the player to watch out for there IMO , I saw him in the under 19 Australian championships a couple of years back , he was awesome , he was playing for the AUS under 19's while still eligable for under 17's.

Clearly not as strong as the 2001/02 side , which had White , Bird , Cassell , Cosgrove , Burke , Doherty , Casson , Simpson , Marsh & several other absolute stand out players.

In fact about 10 members of that squad have already played FC cricket.

Amit , you say India are favourites then 2 sentences later you say you know nothing about the non Asian teams :rolleyes: .