• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who debuted together

aussie tragic

International Captain
David Warner, James Patttinson and Mitchell Starc all debuted together and I'm expecting them all to have fantastic careers....which made me think who else debuted and had great careers together, or who had the same oppurtunity however some made it and some blew it.

Here are a few Aussie multiple debutants....

Trent Copeland (3 Tests) and Nathan Lyon (17* Tests) vs Sri Lanka at Galle 2011

Usman Khawaja (6T) and Michael Beer (2T) vs Eng at Sydney (2010/11)

Tim Paine (4T) and Steve Smith (5T) vs Pak at Lords 2010

Phil Hughes (18*T), Marcus North (21T) and Ben Hilfenhaus (26*T) vs SA at J'Burg 2008/09

Andrew McDonald (4T) and Dougie Bollinger (12T) vs SA at Sydney 2008/09

That's it for the current Aussie players and I'm starting to think debuting with someone else is not a great idea as no real success stories yet????????

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This day in 1985(?) Merv Hughes and Bruce Reid debuted together. Contrasting careers there.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Adam Gilchrst (96T) and Scott Muller (2T) vs pak in Brisbane 1999/00

Finally, someone made it....or maybe both would have if not for Joe the cameraman (aka Warney) can't bowl.....

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Cronje, Donald, Hudson, P Kirsten, Richardson and several others.

Achieved some success.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the don and old man ironmonger

Alan Kippax shared a debut with another gun but I can't remember who

aussie tragic

International Captain
Adam Dale (2T) and Darren Lehmann (27T)

Matthew Elliott (21T) and Michael Kasprowicz (38T)

Ricky Ponting (168T) and Stuart Law (1T)

Last one is interesting as Ponting made 96 and Law 54* and the rest is history as Law never got another chance

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
First Australia Test after WW2 must have contained several big names. Miller and Lindwall I believe.

It would be more interesting which great player retired/was dropped in the same Test a future great made his debut.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Wow, Wally Grout and Bob Simpson debuted together....for some reason I thought they played in different decades (not counting Simpsons return during WSC)

Flametree

International 12th Man
Michael Vaughan and Chris Adams debuted together, and met each other at the crease with the score on 2-4 (two runs, four wickets).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Some great/very good debutants together:

1. Sachin Tendulkar and Waqar Younis
2. Viv Richards and Gordon Greenidge
3. Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly