• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting on Lara and Tendulkar

mohammad16

U19 Captain
On the supreme batsmen of his era: I felt Sachin was the best player I played against, and that's coming from more of a captain's point of view as well, knowing he had so much success against us in our conditions and their conditions. But the other way to look at it is, I probably lost more sleep on the eve of games against Lara, because I knew he could singlehandedly win games for his team. The way I judge players has always been on their ability to win games, and win games by themselves. Lara could certainly do that and he did it probably more than what Sachin's done for India. It's hard to separate the class of player - you've got to put Kallis in that bracket as well. You put his wickets on top of what he's done with the bat. He came out the other day to bat and I looked at the board and he was averaging 57 in Test cricket. That's remarkable considering the amount he's had to bowl and all that sort of stuff. I've been pretty blessed to play in the era I've played with so many great batsmen, and if my name gets mentioned among them, then that's great.

cricinfo

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"i really felt as if Devon Smith could take the game away from us at any moment"

Spikey

"yeah my career basically ended that morning at Lord's. ****ing hell i can't believe mJ is here today"

Spikey

I'm telling you guys the ricky ponting quotes the media don't want you to see

centurymaker

International Captain
He was spot on. It all depends on how you rate them.

there's so many factors-

single-handed match winning ability, consistency, aesthetics, technique, longevity, peak, performances against the best, performances in all conditions, performances under pressure etc...

Some people rate players based solely on the single-handed matching winning ability. Going by this, guys like lara, sehwag would rank higher and guys like dravid and kallis would be rated lower...

Spikey

"I'm kinda surprised cricketweb.net/forums haven't already discussed this"