• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nasser Hussain comments

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Can the duck ask Mr. Harper to be sharper ????:lol:
<quack> Daryl Harper is a fine umpire - willing to follow the splendid examples set by Ashocker and others.

There will be an umpire special quite soon (Eyes keeps reminding me that I haven't mentioned Simon Taufel for a few weeks)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I really doubt Nass would say that. Honestly one of England's most respected players would never call Murali a "Chucker" and he's never mentioned any problem he has with Murali's action.

Rich2001

International Captain
Bouncer said:
I cant beileve that this is same forum where people were in favor of ban on shaoib akhter against SA few weeks ago....and now when englishman does this, it is due to the heat of the moment, he is supported..and when an Asian cricketer does this there is a Ban right away.:!(or atleast a 20 page report to ICC.

Think about 3rd test match in India- Australia series and Gangually calles Brett lee a ****er and cheater, during the game, we all know whats going to happen there.:!(
At the end of the day the match ref' made it clear that he would have punished Nasser... but had no solid evidence to back the claims up, he didn't say it never happened but without proof what could he do, your surely not going to say he should have been punished him for something he "MAY" not have even said, did anyone actually hear Nasser say it?

If you punished everyone on hearsay Australia wouldn't have a team :saint: :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Besides, all the other comments made were somewhat anti-Hussain (I said that it could be the end of his tour), so where the hell you got your 'anti- Asian' nonsense from, I don't know.
Minor point, but isn't Hussain Asian anyway?! :)

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
<quack> Daryl Harper is a fine umpire - willing to follow the splendid examples set by Ashocker and others.

There will be an umpire special quite soon (Eyes keeps reminding me that I haven't mentioned Simon Taufel for a few weeks)
Is Hrper a friend of The Duck?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
I really doubt Nass would say that. Honestly one of England's most respected players would never call Murali a "Chucker" and he's never mentioned any problem he has with Murali's action.
Exactly my thought when I heard what had allegedly happened.

Legglancer

State Regular
Richard said:
Exactly my thought when I heard what had allegedly happened.
I Am pretty Sure That Hussain is Guilty as charged !

Referee clears former captain but old sores reopen in
Test

Lawrence Booth in Kandy
Friday December 12, 2003
The Guardian

The former England captain Nasser Hussain was last night at
the centre of a diplomatic storm after he allegedly called the Sri
Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan "a ****ing cheat" and "a
****ing chucker".

Hussain was fortunate not
to receive a one-match ban
after play on the second
day of the second Test
here as the already
fractious relationship
between England and Sri
Lanka reached new depths
of mutual antagonism.

Muralitharan claims that
Hussain insulted him as he
walked out to bat towards
the end of Sri Lanka's first innings. The match referee Clive
Lloyd ruled that video evidence was inconclusive, but went on to
warn both sides that he would not tolerate any more bad blood
in a series that is now threatening to spill over into the kind of
bitterness that marred England's last visit here in 2001.

"We had a look at the video evidence and there was nothing to
show [Hussain] made that statement," said Lloyd. "But having
looked at what happened when Muralitharan arrived at the
crease, it is obvious that something was said. It was abusive
language and Murali was not happy with it." The incident
occurred only a few hours after the coaches of both sides had
laid down the law to their players following a lecture from Lloyd
about on-field behaviour at the close of play on Wednesday.

"I want to make it quite clear that having looked at the situation
in the last Test and this one, that I am very disappointed with
the behaviour of both teams," said Lloyd. "I've warned them that
from this moment on, all bets are off. Anything that is said, or
contravenes the Code of Conduct, will be dealt with very harshly.

"I think the players should show some integrity. Some of the
guys are young, some are seasoned professionals. The older
ones should inculcate the right sort of mannerisms. We can't
tarnish the game because we have a lot of young people
watching it and we like to give them the right image."

Sparks began to fly in the second over after lunch, with Sri
Lanka's tail-end resistance driving England to distraction for the
third time in the series. Kumar Dharmasena had just fallen
leg-before to Ashley Giles for 29, and as Muralitharan, who had
clubbed 51 runs during the first Test at Galle, headed out to the
middle, he passed Hussain on the way. It was at that moment
that words were exchanged. Instead of taking guard at the
striker's end, Murali walked straight over to complain to the
Pakistani umpire Aleem Dar behind the stumps.

After Muralitharan was out six overs later he reported the
incident to the Sri Lankan management, who then lodged an
official complaint, which included the words "cheat" and
"chucker", with the match referee. The non-striker, Dinusha
Fernando, backed up the claim, and Murali was still talking
animatedly to the umpires when England began their reply 10
minutes later.

"Hussain denied that he said certain things to him," said Lloyd.
"He said there are situations when you're in the huddle with your
team. But I don't think people realise that although you're not
speaking directly to individuals, if you make remarks which are
aimed at that individual, you can still be guilty of an offence."

Had Hussain been found guilty, he would have been charged
with a Level 2 offence on the ICC Code of Conduct for using
"language that is obscene, offensive of a general insulting nature
to another player, umpire or spectator." Level 2 offences carry a
maximum penalty of one game's wages and/or a ban of one Test
or two one-day internationals. "It's obvious," said Lloyd. "He
would have been banned."

Lloyd said it ended up being the word of one player against that
of another. But it did not stop him expressing his
disappointment with Hussain's behaviour. "We have no right to
swear or abuse one another," he said. "It's never been in my
book and as long as I'm a referee it will not happen.

"The first thing I told [Hussain and Duncan Fletcher] was that I
was very disappointed," he went on. "We had a discussion on
Wednesday evening and then this comes along. I will not
tolerate it." Hussain had not apologised, said Lloyd. "There's
some bitterness from the past, and I find that very strange. If
you've had some problems over the past couple of years, that
should be forgotten.

"He's an ex-captain and I would take an ex-captain's behaviour
very seriously. They should know the rules. I would like them to
go out there and play as professionals. There's no need to swear
at each other."

In October 2000 Hussain had to explain himself for damaging
dressing-room equipment after receiving a poor lbw decision
during a one-day international against Pakistan at Rawalpindi.
And he was severely reprimanded a year later following an
altercation with Andy Flower in another one-dayer, this time
against Zimbabwe at Harare.

Now, he lives to fight another day. Whether relations between
the two sides can survive this latest exchange, however, is
another matter.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I've never been a fan of Nasser, but on this occasion I think they should give him a friggin' medal!!! :lol: :lol:
I love it when people say "He's never mentioned he had a problem with Murali's action" - gee, is it because anyone who has has been censured by their relevant cricket boards (Adam Gilchrist at the Carlton footy club dinner)......and/or the ICC (Holding, Bedi)

He shouldn't have sworn though, the naughty boy. :P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:
I've never been a fan of Nasser, but on this occasion I think they should give him a friggin' medal!!! :lol: :lol:
I love it when people say "He's never mentioned he had a problem with Murali's action" - gee, is it because anyone who has has been censured by their relevant cricket boards (Adam Gilchrist at the Carlton footy club dinner)......and/or the ICC (Holding, Bedi)

He shouldn't have sworn though, the naughty boy. :P
I'd like to state again there isn't anything wrong with Murali's action. It's been proven. The END.

I think this whole thing has been taken out of context. Nass is one of the most mature players in the England team, a former captain no less, and knows full well if he said anything like that he would have the rule book thrown at him. Also he's never stated he's had a problem with Murali's action, or with Murali himself. I just think Murali didn't like getting sledged and made the "cheat" part up. When your called a cheat by just about everyone you might feel like you can use it to try and get someone into trouble. Murali is still one of the nicest cricketers around in my book though. As far as I know, the only people who called Murali a chucker during that Test were the Barmy Army who sang:

"Throw, throw, throw the ball, gently down the seam
Murali, Murali, Murali, Murali, chucks it like a dream
Bowl, bowl, bowl the ball, gently through the air
Murali, Murali, Murali, Murali, here comes Darrell Hair ... No Ball!"

to the tune of Row Row Row The Boat, Gently Down The Stream...harsh but even I found it quite funny.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Nothing wrong witht he off break or toppy. But there is definate straightening of the arm when he bowls the leg break.

That said, i have no problem with it. He's a slow bowler, and will not be causing any harm to batsmen. That, i believe is why the rule was tightened ... to prevent fast bowlers dangerously chucking the ball at 95+mph (ala Aktar).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
Murali is still one of the nicest cricketers around in my book though.
Actually he came across as being a bit of a tw** in an interview in the WC... And they even asked him about his abrasive personality...

And im not saying he throws the ball!!! But being a nice guy should make no difference to if you can get away with it lol!! :D

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Rik said:
I'd like to state again there isn't anything wrong with Murali's action. It's been proven. The END.
:lol: Rik, even you must be bright enough to know that nothing has or will end even after he has finished his career.
Tens of thousands of people continue to think his action is suspect - I'm one of them, so is Nasser, so is Bishen Bedi, so is Adam Gilchrist, etc etc...ad bloody nauseum.

If you believe, looking at that 'bowling' action, that everything is fine on EVERY delivery, I'm happy for ya, pal.

I still say give Nasser a medal though. :cool2:

Legglancer

State Regular
Kenny said:
:lol: Rik, even you must be bright enough to know that nothing has or will end even after he has finished his career.
Tens of thousands of people continue to think his action is suspect - I'm one of them, so is Nasser, so is Bishen Bedi, so is Adam Gilchrist, etc etc...ad bloody nauseum.

If you believe, looking at that 'bowling' action, that everything is fine on EVERY delivery, I'm happy for ya, pal.

Just shows that whatever the facts are .... people can be ignorant !!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:

Oh why oh why oh why do I have to put up with this EVERY TIME Murali is mentioned? And with is it you EVERY TIME?

I'm bright enough to have a BTEC National in Computer Studies, an IQ in the 130s and much, much else. But that's not important. What is important is I'm bright enough to understand that evidence proving Murali's action is legal, might actually prove it is legal.

No proof Nasser is. There are plenty of people who actually take the time to look at weather his action is or is not legal. Believe me, the only people who don't are ignorant or wish to believe it is true.

What? "Bowling" action? It's a bowling action and it's fair, and it doesn't break any rules. I cannot say I've seen every delivery he's bowled, so I cannot say. But every delivery I've seen him bowl has been fine, and I'm sure there are plenty of bowlers who bend their arm at least once in their careers, it happens, no one is perfect.

What? For being found not guilty of calling Murali a "cheat"? For probably saying something that annoyed Murali but had nothing to do with being a "chucker?" Oh yes, how ":cool2: cool"

PY

International Coach
Without wanting to start an argument again.......how can someone be doing something illegal if the people who decide the law say it's ok?